Ships Nostalgia banner
821 - 840 of 853 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,
I was Radio Officer on the M.V. Mansouriah in 1975 and on the Al Ahmadiah in 1976.

I have uploaded a photograph of Satchiko in Yokohama in the gallery section

Regards,

Mike
Mike
I joined the Al Ahmadiah in October 1976 as 1st trip Cadet with 4 other Brit Cadets - then we went to New York for Xmas time then down the coast to Savannah and New Orleans and Houston then all the way back via Valencia. Great times . Russ

·
Registered
520 Posts
i am really enjoying reading the messages.hope you are all safe and staying sound,especially you albie,great memories!
paul talbot formerly known as rupert
Hi Rupert,

I'm still here Birthday today (73) so the small Russians didn't take too many years off me, great laughs great crowds but bloody hard work!
I remember you hadn't been working for Dimitri for long and you were sent onto one of the small Russians (could have been the Gurainiah) with the Nichols & Andrews grinding gear to grind a M/E bottom end for undersized bearings. You were bricking it and so was I but together we got there, I think the C/E was Albert Hocking who supervised from his favourite bar stool. Still he stood the bar bill when it was done! (Which was quite a packet)
Where have you ended up now you have returned to UK?

Stay safe
Albie

·
Registered
6 Posts
been back in sunny manchester for five years now after having the restaurant in spain with john farmery(ex gulf controller).i broke 70 last year.where does the time go?
if anyone is interested i spoke to captain tony bassi a few weeks ago.he is 85 now and keeping well.
hope you stay safe.
cheers

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Hi Rupert,

I remember you hadn't been working for Dimitri for long and you were sent onto one of the small Russians (could have been the Gurainiah) with the Nichols & Andrews grinding gear to grind a M/E bottom end for undersized bearings.
Stay safe
Albie
Grinding a bottom end in Kuwait is akin to open-heart surgery, without any of the glory. Well done, and Happy Birthday.

·
Registered
6 Posts
wow,i never thought of it that way.i know everyone has stories to tell of both the russian classes and rightly justified but the real pig of the fleet was the original AL MOUBARAKIAH.built in east germany if memory serves.i did my first trip on her.captain parry and tom bailey in charge.it nearly did for all us.

·
Registered
520 Posts
wow,i never thought of it that way.i know everyone has stories to tell of both the russian classes and rightly justified but the real pig of the fleet was the original AL MOUBARAKIAH.built in east germany if memory serves.i did my first trip on her.captain parry and tom bailey in charge.it nearly did for all us.
Aye it was my first trip in 1968 C/E Keith Dancey and Alf Carney 2/E. You are right she was built in East Germany and then sold onto the Chinese

Attachments

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I sailed with Chiefs Eddie Moore and Jack Etchells who had been with KSC from the early days, they thought 13 new ships from Russia was going to be the bees-knees but they were never great and disimproved rapidly. My two were Al Aridiah and Mansouriah, not old ships in 1975 but in a deplorable condition, another 5 months of blood, sweat, tears and Asahi beer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I joined the Kadisiah in Nov 68 and wondered what I had walked into, the purifer flat was like the black hole of calcutta and she wasn't that old then, but my luck changed and was sent up to glasgow to join the Al Mubarakiah in Dec. one of the best laid out E/R's I have been on, Rupert you should have been on her when all the problems started with the M/E, even George the RO and Maurice the Elect were down in the E/R giving the rest of us a hand to pull units, I heard that when the MAN engineers came on board they took one look and said that's not our engine, see the East Germans and walked off! (Tom Bailey may be able to confirm that) but never heard what was found to cause all the problems and not untill I meet up with Albie a few years ago he told me she was still a problem after her repairs. Rupert, you and I sailed on the Al Khalidiah on her maiden voyage. KSC was certainly a good Company in the old days.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Best photograph I've seen of Al Aridhiah, probably maiden voyage. I had two spells on her, Oct 75 to Mar 76 and Dec 79 to Jun 80. She didn't improve with age and never ran like a wee sewing machine. She looked grand from a distance.
In Dublin we are in Level 5 of the pandemonium but this may be eased to Level 2 next week. We are all longing for a sociable drink.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hope you are all well during these difficult times, remember when we were only afraid of a good dose of clap.
Just found a Russian page with good photos of the small Russians.
Stay safe.
hi albie
they are strange times indeed and like you hope all our ex crew are staying safe.i should have been more careful with the clap though!
rupert

·
Registered
420 Posts
Best photograph I've seen of Al Aridhiah, probably maiden voyage. I had two spells on her, Oct 75 to Mar 76 and Dec 79 to Jun 80. She didn't improve with age and never ran like a wee sewing machine. She looked grand from a distance.
In Dublin we are in Level 5 of the pandemonium but this may be eased to Level 2 next week. We are all longing for a sociable drink.
Engine Serang looking at your dates for your second spell in the Aridhiah you must have been in her with Hamliton and Barry Kidwell the mate. The time the life boat got smashed up. I was mate in the Younus at the time

·
Registered
104 Posts
Indeed Captain Hamilton ex Ben Line and Barry Kidwill. Les Yuill and George Mortimer down below. Gaffney and Gribben i/c grub.
You had all the luxuries on Ibn Younus, hot water, working deck cranes, AC, main engine in one piece etc.
But I had Jim Hamilton to sing to me and Barry to tell me stories.
In retrospect Happy Days, very Happy Days.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Indeed Captain Hamilton ex Ben Line and Barry Kidwill. Les Yuill and George Mortimer down below. Gaffney and Gribben i/c grub.
You had all the luxuries on Ibn Younus, hot water, working deck cranes, AC, main engine in one piece etc.
But I had Jim Hamilton to sing to me and Barry to tell me stories.
In retrospect Happy Days, very Happy Days.
I had the misfortune to sail with Hamilton at a latter date. No comment

·
Registered
520 Posts
ES 2
As you say "In retrospect Happy Days, very Happy Days." Many characters good and bad but would do it again in a heartbeat.
Keep safe during these unprecedented times and hopefully next year will be a good one.
From a reasonably Covid free Kintyre
Albie

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Mull of Kintyre is about 15 nm from the village I was reared in, but the distance is all water. If you could see the Mull it was a sign that it was going to rain, if you couldn't see it it was raining. Unlike Kintyre, North and East Antrim is a hotbed of Covid but hopefully the vaccine will sort that out.
I recall a time, at anchor off Dubai or Abu Dhabi where Port Health would not come on board and most of the crew and me had to go down the pilot ladder into the pilot boat where the Doc was giving Cholera jabs. Only one needle, get to the front of the queue before it got blunt. I hope the Covid injection is abetter experience. PS, I never caught Cholera so it worked.

821 - 840 of 853 Posts