Ships Nostalgia banner
841 - 853 of 853 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was plesently surprised to see a lot of recent posts when looking in the last few days, really enjoyed looking at all of the old photos of ships & people, although unfortunately recognised very few faces, although a lot of familiar names.
I tended to take lots of photos of ships and places, but very few of people, however found the two attached pics taken on the Fathulkhair in Moji 1982/83.
Richard Dunn sat in the centre of the photo.
In the "Moji" photo I am sat far left near the window (Mike Hands - 2nd Mate at the time)
Isnt that the grocer with the pipe in his mouth?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Iranian revolution of 1979

As my earlier post on looking for old ship mates.
Any one else remember being up the Shat al Arab anchored off Khorramshah waiting for the revolution to end so they could finish discharging us. I would be
especially interested to hear from my jR/O Dennis Smith. (Thanks Brian for getting back in touch.) Sorry John Grace, I don't share your point of view of it being relaxing. We only got one lot of mail in 3 months. Our transmitter had died as it's 5Mhz master oscillator (it's heart in simple terms) was u/s and we had no spare.
Coupled with the fact that we had no idea when we would be allowed to leave.
We had a sweepstake going on when we would leave (which I won incidentally)
The deck department were much more optimistic. The only person who was more pessimistic than me was the Ch.Eng Who put it a couple of weeks later. I was on the Al salimiah. I remember the Jilfar and the Fathulkier together with 2 P&O jobs Strathconnan and StrathDevon plus a handful of various other vessels names of which have long since been lost from my memory.

Nigel
hello Nige are you still living round Carlisle way?Yes Dennis Smith was a good lad ,last time I saw him was in Brazil on one of the Ks,Do I remember the Shat I was on the Salimiah with you Jamie Liddle Chris Etwell ce,Billy Smith,Terry Boyd old man etc.I am still living near Blackburn and still nuts on trains with my own you tube channel red loco is my (third engineer) symbol I got married after that trip and have just lost my dear wife Jean after almost 42 years.Funeral was last Friday! Brian not been on here for a while but I am still ticking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happy Xmas to all ex KSC and UASC . Fading memories now. Shipping is a changed world.
Hi,
I haven't been on here for a while but loved the pictures of the K class engine room. Brought back so many memories. Here's my KSC & UASC history again and will post photos if anyone interested. Im sure I sailed with Brian Springhall as remembered his train signals on on the generators and his junior, Tim, from Barrow ,who would go ashore, get plastered and turn in 20mins before his watch!
Joined KSC/UASC as a Eng Cadet & finished up as 3rd Eng when i was finished in 86
Al Ahmadiah 07/78 - 01/79
Ibn Qutaibah 03/79 - 08/79
Al Kadisiah 07/80 - 01/81
Ibn Zuhr 04/81 -08/81
Al Khalidiah 10/81 - 12/81
Jilfar 12/81 - 03/82
Ibn Rushd 04/82 - 07/82
Tabuk 11/82 - 03/83
Jilfar 07/83 -01/84
Ibn Hazm 03/84 - 08/84
Al Ahmadiah 01/85 - 05/85
Ibn Al Roomi 08/85 - 11/85
Al Shamiah 11/85 - 12/85(Laid up Jebel Ali)
Khalid Ibn Al Waleed 03/86 - 08/86(laid up Antwerp)
Photo is of first day of first trip on Al Ahmadiah in Kuwait in July 1978. An experience getting off the plane!
Smile Water Photograph Shorts Muscle
L to R Paul Fewtrell,
Chris Dove, Me and Hussain Ali. All cadets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Indeed Captain Hamilton ex Ben Line and Barry Kidwill. Les Yuill and George Mortimer down below. Gaffney and Gribben i/c grub.
You had all the luxuries on Ibn Younus, hot water, working deck cranes, AC, main engine in one piece etc.
But I had Jim Hamilton to sing to me and Barry to tell me stories.
In retrospect Happy Days, very Happy Days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Indeed Captain Hamilton ex Ben Line and Barry Kidwill. Les Yuill and George Mortimer down below. Gaffney and Gribben i/c grub.
You had all the luxuries on Ibn Younus, hot water, working deck cranes, AC, main engine in one piece etc.
But I had Jim Hamilton to sing to me and Barry to tell me stories.
In retrospect Happy Days, very Happy Days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thanks pal

ITS BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE ANYONE HAS POSTED ANY MESSAGES WHERE IS EVERBODY?
HELLO ENGINE SERANG
DONT KNOW ABOUT THE UGLY BIT BUT I LEFT BANK LINE TO JOIN KSC IN 1974 AND IT CERTAINLY IS NOT ME IN THE POOL, ANY ANSWERS?

BRIAN THIRD ENGINEER
I don't think you and I have sailed together, but I am here looking for old shipmates and the forum seems to have dried up, maybe someone out there remembers me
Jim Hamilton
Shipmate 1977- 1986

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did a fairly long trip on Al Ahmadiah mid 1980's. We ran into typhoon ABBY after spending days trying to avoid it. We made it into Keelung harbour thinking we would be sheltered. No so, the authorities cleared the harbour of every ship who could make it past the breakwater (some couldn't) and spent 3-4 days in the teeth of this raging storm hoping and praying that the daygo weld would hold midships and we wouldn't break apart. Our skipper spent the whole time on the bridge looking like death warmed up as the containers started to loosen. We survived it and eventually headed back to Keelung. The CE made a base of lignum vitae with brass letters atop spelling the name ABBY and we presented it to the old man (can't remember his name but Noel was his first name) as a thank you for saving us from a watery grave....
I think that would be Noel Willot whom I remember as experiencing a real humdinger of a storm and just about lost the ship.
Jim Hamilton
UASC 1977-1986

·
Registered
9 Posts
Best photograph I've seen of Al Aridhiah, probably maiden voyage. I had two spells on her, Oct 75 to Mar 76 and Dec 79 to Jun 80. She didn't improve with age and never ran like a wee sewing machine. She looked grand from a distance.
In Dublin we are in Level 5 of the pandemonium but this may be eased to Level 2 next week. We are all longing for a sociable drink.
Are you Paul Keaney with whom I sailed on Al Aridhiah, or should I say we didn't sail anywhere, as we were stuck up the Gulf from January till June 1980, waiting to get into Basrah. I remember the ship well and still wake up in a sweat thinking about the ship rolling about at anchor, the lifeboat swinging about like some gigantic pendulum on the end of the crane wire, broke the slewing gear of the crane and just about decapitated the crane driver (Paul Keaney). Apart from that we had a good time organising the intership social meetings! Repaired the lifeboat with a bucket load of tampax out of the medicine locker and soaked in epoxy resin and it ran quite well after that!
I think the pitch of the propeller was a bit much for the lifeboat engine - Happy days
If you are Paul Keaney then let me know if you ever bought your Kawasaki 2000.
Jim Hamilton
Master
Al Aridhiah 1980.

841 - 853 of 853 Posts