Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a picture of the Buries Markes bulker 'La Estancia', built in Belfast, I think, around 1965/66.
Any info on her history would also be appreciated.
Thanks
McG (Pint)

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
You can get a copy of the official H&W construction photographs of this vessel from the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum. Contact Ken Anderson the Head of the Photographic section with your request. FGrom memory he holds photographs from keel lay to launch and fitting out including sea trials.
For the record and to ease indentification she was yard number 1660 launched 30 June 1965 and delivered 30 September 1965 followed by her sister La Sierra yard number 1661 launched 24 November 1965 and delivered 12 February 1966. I remember walking under these ships as a spotty faced youth while they were on the slipways in the Queens Shipyard of H&W. Shipbuilding was still very new to me and I was terrified of being crushed should they fall off the blocks. Told you I was green in those days (Cloud)
Anyway good luck with the search, Ken is very helpful if a little slow.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tmac

Info greatly appreciated. I know what you mean about the ship falling off the blocks. The few times I ventured down a dry dock, I was more worried if they had locked the s**t houses on board !!!
I acually joined her in Belfast at the dry dock in '66, just after the seamens strike, & sailed for Vittoria, Brazil. It was a Belfast/Cockney crew with a sprinkling of mad Jocks threw in...Wow, What a mix !!
Thanks again
McG (Pint)

·
Registered
3 Posts
My husband, James Lorimer sailed on the La Estancia when he was employed by Buries Markess Ltd. All BM ex employees were invited to join the BM Society and meet regularly. I will ask Jim if he has a picture of the ship for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
La Estancia etc. etc.

Jim and I were on the La Pampa during 1979. He may know you. If you are an ex em ployee of Buries Markes Ltd. then you will remember being an Individualist! Mike Coker started it up several years ago now. You may contact and join via Michael Bowen. I cannot accept email right now, but if you email me at
********* email deleted *
then I can send details.
Chris Lorimer
*Ahoy,
Once again, I have edited out an email address posted on an Open Forum. This is not a good idea as, although with the best of intentions, it may result in some unwelcome mail arriving in your Inbox, and that's what you're not waiting for, isn't it?
If any Members wish to reply to Chris, you can do so via a PM[Private Message]

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
HI neany years ago i worked on a ship called the HUNTINGTON in dry dock in HULL and thay changed her name to the LA BEHIA she belonged to BURIS MARKES after carrying out repaires she load a full cargo of army gear for the CHIRSTMAS ISLAND that was the time of the atom bomb test. SAN2182SW

·
Registered
880 Posts
Thanks for the info, I remember Mike Coker very well and Mr Lilley who was the man responsible for other members of the crew. will be in touch, Thanks again,

·
Registered
3 Posts
sam2182sw said:
HI neany years ago i worked on a ship called the HUNTINGTON in dry dock in HULL and thay changed her name to the LA BEHIA she belonged to BURIS MARKES after carrying out repaires she load a full cargo of army gear for the CHIRSTMAS ISLAND that was the time of the atom bomb test. SAN2182SW
I thgink you mean the La Bahia?? My husband Jim worked on this ship whilst employed with BM

·
Premium Member
948 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Remember the night in Aviles in northern Spain,you ate a whole Pyalla to yourself. We were there on the Pampa loading steel wire for New Orleans,and a few of us went ashore for something to eat. There was you, Ken Morgan and his wife Sandra, Dave Snowdon and a few more, cant remember them all.

·
Banned
5,898 Posts
I thgink you mean the La Bahia?? My husband Jim worked on this ship whilst employed with BM
Ahoy,
Here LA BAHIA seen in the New Waterway[Nieuwe Waterweg]Rotterdam in the 70's.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
LA BAHIA (1) (1957 - 1961)

O.N. 165783. 5,172g. 2,992n. 442'11" x 56'6" x 25'11"
3-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (600 x 2,320mm) oil engine manufactured by the shipbuilder.

26.2.1940: Launched as SUTHERLAND by Wm. Doxford & Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 658), for B. J. Sutherland & Company Ltd., Newcastle.
5.1940: Completed.
13.1.1954: Sold to Carlton Steamship Company Ltd. & Cambay Steamship Company Ltd., (Chapman & Willan Ltd., managers), Newcastle, and renamed GRAINTON.
29.3.1957: Purchased for £480,000 by Buries Markes Ltd., London.
31.5.1957: Handed over and renamed LA BAHIA.
1961: Sold to Valerosa Compania Naviera S. A., (Lemos & Pateras Ltd., managers), Lebanon, and renamed SAN JOHN.
4.10.1961: Whilst on a voyage from the R. Tyne to Churchill, stranded 20 miles N. W. of Churchill, and subsequently declared a constructive total loss.
Repaired and management transferred to M. J. Lemos & Company Ltd.
1965: Sold to Atlas Shipping and Repairing Company Ltd., (same managers), Cyprus, and renamed LEDRA.
11.11.1967: Whilst on a voyage from Madras to Poland with a cargo of iron ore, wrecked on Alphee Shoal, in a position 07.25 N. 81.51 E.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts