Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Les Edge***be
118 Posts
would like to contact anyone who sailed on buries markes ships la loma,. have sailed on both old and new la lomas, last one was oil/bulk/ore big one,. regards joe
I sailed on La Loma OBO for about 6 years as R/O. Skippers Wilcox, Willis and others. C/E Henry Topping, 2/E Roy Chenery to name a few.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Buries MARKES

My husband, Jim Lorimer, worked for B M for many years, but he did not said on the La Loma. Mainly on the Bulk Eage, La Pampa and the small chemical tankers. We met some wonderful people during those times. My memories of doing 5 month trips are happy ones.

·
Registered
26 Posts
malcolm doherty

would like to contact anyone who sailed on buries markes ships la loma,. have sailed on both old and new la lomas, last one was oil/bulk/ore big one,. regards joe
hi joe
I,m sailing with a guy at present, north sea he sailed on the la loma
(SERGIO) is his name.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I sailed on La Loma OBO for about 6 years as R/O. Skippers Wilcox, Willis and others. C/E Henry Topping, 2/E Roy Chenery to name a few.
I joined La Loma as cadet in Feb'72 in Europort with Dick Templeman as the other deck cadet. John Hodd was 2nd R/O, Archie Gordon was C/O followed by C.Lukehurst. Valentine (Papa Val) was Captain, followed by Armstrong and then Willis. Geoff Ridout was 2/0 and Joe Dempsey was 3/0. Topping was C/E.

Did 3 trips round to Ras Tannura, first back to Milford Haven, second to St John, New Brunswick, Canada and last back to Milf before going to Lisnave dry-dock in Lisbon. Enjoyed first trip, but went onto La Sierra, Estancia, then Gearbulk Eagle Arrow, La Pampa, Tsuru Arrow, the La ***re, Caribbean Carrier (cement tanker) and La Pampa again before leaving at the end of '79. Enjoyed it all, and would happily have gone back at almost anytime.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yes we had Spanish deck hands join ship in Rotterdam, Only one whose name i remember was Perez perez.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Buries Markes

Hi Joe, hope you are well,I was a Buries man from early 1975 till Nov.1982. I sailed on 2 bulkers the La Ensenada and La Estancia. I
also sailed as bosun on all the chemical tankers. I never made it to the La Loma. She was the largest in the fleet
John

·
Registered
10 Posts
same here we loaded cars at dagenham for la frisco seattle new west to vancouver, six weeks laid up xmas/ny 1965/66 then loaded grain for hull. pay off, great crew ,great time.
I sailed on her sister ship La Marea for 6 months in 1964. Drop decks for the cars. Usually loaded at Bremen or Bremerhaven VW beetles from Wolfsburg, turn round in just over 24 hours. The worst part of the job was dropping the decks. We used to get paid a handsome sum in danger money under the table. We carried either grain or coal back to Europe. One trip took us up to Fort Churchill in Hudson Bay. I saw enough of the Northern Lights on that trip to last a lifetime.
Another horrible job was cleaning out the strum boxes in the bilge tanks before loading the cars. Full of fermenting grain - the stink was unbearable.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is a Friends of Buries Markes Facebook page run by a former La Hacienda crew member Dave Thomas. Loads of photos and memories. He tells me that La Marea ended up as Orion and sank off Japan...pity she was my first ship and they were a good crowd.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i sailed on the la loma ore/oil tanker joined her in japan from new was first to sign on she was the first ore oil carrier at the time and steam turbine.maiden vouage was awesome what a ship .was in persion gulf when the bider minehof terrist group was active and in amsterdam was always on the alert ,17 at the time .sailed with her for six months have some pics some where will have to find them .got several of her sat in dry dock before her launch .galley boy at the time when signed of was second steward ,the secnd steward crushed his hand in iron press whilst at sea . did go through the some great times on her first crew was fantastic set of lads .
Did you know William Selbie, A/B. I'm doing my family tree and found out that he was working on La Loma. He drowned in Maashaven, Rotterdam on 3 October 1960. I can't find a death cert so tried to find as much as I could about the vessel he was on. So Impressed... I had no idea that it was so large and the cargo that it carried. (Wave)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dear P. Tipping

You should be able to get a copy of the death certificate from the local authorities in
Rotterdam. You know the exact date so it shouldn't be too difficult. There might be a fee though.
Kind regards

·
Registered
4 Posts
I sailed on La Loma in 1077 May-Sept. First Trip. An unforgettable experience.

I sailed on La Loma in 1977 May-Sept. First Trip. An unforgettable experience as J/R/O. Bill and Eunice Guinan were my "mentors" !! . Wilcox was OM and Martin Birchmore was C/E. JIM WADDEN

·
Registered
4 Posts
there was a La Loma chemical tanker which run aground off Trapani, Sicily, january 6, 1981 after fire in engine-room

21 - 35 of 35 Posts