Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every number I dial on my landline shows "engaged". They cant all be.
BT says if there is a problem they will fix it by Friday !!
Anyone any ideas ?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
In the old days of sharing a dreaded GPO "party line," you had to go round to the other user to get them to hang up their receiver properly.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Land lines and party lines, up to 20 or more in rural NZ during the war .
Each had a ring code based on morse and quoted as long-short-Long etc , one full revolution of the crank for short, three full cranks for long .
Even the electrical substations that my father manned had a party line that was strung under the high tension lines running half the length of the country.
There was an insulated stool in our hall that one had to stand on for safety should a storm down a HT wire onto the phone line.
We have come a long way

Bob

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Try dialling 175 and replace the receiver. If working it should give you a ring back.

Alternative; Dial 17070. Provided you do not have a withheld number a recoded voice will tell you your number and give you set of test options - take it from there...

·
Registered
236 Posts
FWIW, replies from my other forum.........

Could be their last caller didn't hang up; but I thought BT had changed the exchange software to disconnect it after a time interval. And they presumably get dial tone?

Usual advice can they ring their landline from their mobile, or get someone else to?

If all numbers are engaged it suggests the fault is with the caller's landline.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Try dialling 175 and replace the receiver. If working it should give you a ring back.

Alternative; Dial 17070. Provided you do not have a withheld number a recoded voice will tell you your number and give you set of test options - take it from there...
Handy numbers to know, Malcolm. Thanks.

rgds D

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
If you have the same symptom on all LL 'phones AND you get a dial tone before dialling I suspect the exchange (now called a switch).

If you are using the same/only LL 'phone AND you get a dial tone before dialling I would also suspect your 'instrument' is throwing out off spec tones.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks gentlemen. Seem to have cured itself now. BT never said what the reason was but their Status no said they had faults on 01983

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Oh Duncs, you are so out of touch. My nephew, his wife, two sons and a daughter live in a house without a landline. They all have mobile phones and handle all their Comms, entertainment and other media activities on air. No landlines involved.

It's a coming thing you know, this wireless.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Bluddi hell, Ron, I must be out of touch. But maybe, because where I live, the Isle of Barra, I'd be snookered without the landline. BT gives me a fairly fast BB, but via LL. We have a rather erratic 4G 'EE' phone signal, but it can't be relied upon. It's only available in certain parts of the island. I think, where you, and your family, live, are probably well covered for wi fi. At the mo, with oncoming winter, I have the 'tilley' and 2 oil lamps, plus candles, all at the ready in case of power loss. In case of power loss, the old BT phone and LL, will work.
Sorry for showing my ignorance re LL.

Rgds D

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Bluddi hell, Ron, I must be out of touch.
Duncs, you are just one of many living in areas where the UK's policy of dumping responsibility for the provision of utilities into private hands fails to meet local needs. The result is that the country's service levels of mobile phone coverage and high-speed broadband fall well below those of the more advanced countries. (See here). So the level of service that you can get depends on where you live - regardless that we are all subject to the same taxation levels.

My nephew and his grown-up family live in Greater Manchester and spend most of their day at work or out of the house, so see no need to provide the house with its own phone. They each have a mobile phone which allows them to access all the media and comms that they need, as they need it. Modern phones can provide all that my 7-year old PC can (and more) where there is adequate radio signal available, so all their needs are met.

I on the other hand, living roughly mid-way between our "centre of government" in Westminster and BT's research centre at Martlesham, can barely get a mobile connection and would struggle without my landline. Since most of my day is spent at home, the landline and my aged PC suffice.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Where do you think the internet connection in your house come from? Many years ago, we called the satcom the 'moonphone'.
Maybe, you've got the same connection!

Just joking.

(Jester)
Aye Duncs, I meant in the context of actually using a landline for its original intended purpose, ie making a phone call. We use mobiles for everything now, wouldn't dream of picking up the landline.
Same goes for most people I know now. If by chance the landline rings in our house I ignore it. It'll never be for me. Chances are it'll only be the in-laws, the only folk I know who still make calls over the landline.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Same goes for most people I know now. If by chance the landline rings in our house I ignore it. It'll never be for me. Chances are it'll only be the in-laws, the only folk I know who still make calls over the landline.

Thanks, K, I'm still chuckling!
Before my time, I am reliably told, only the subsea cable to the mainland was available. Telegraph only. A local merchant sent a cable to his suppliers in Oban, "send no meat killing myself tomorrow". It caused a bit of concern in Oban.
It made sense in gaelic. What he meant was that he'd be butchering one of his own beasts.

(Jester) (Smoke)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts