Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I joined Larchbank as Deck Cadet in Wallsend drydock on 2.2.76. The Captain was Barclay Ross. We loaded around europe on charter to a french company, NCHP for the Red sea. I remeber playing football against a team from from Strathinch ( formerly Trinder Andersons Antrim) in Djibouti at the Olympic stadium, which had big stands but no grass. Whilst leaving the berth in Aquaba we hit the propellor against the quay and had to go to drydock. We did this in Singapore then loaded on the Bank Line Oriental Africa run discharging on the east African coast. We then loaded for the far east again finally paying off in Bangkok on the 14.9.76.
It was a typical bank boat voyage and a real happy ship. She had no aircon so we sweated a bit but the draught beer made up for that.
Happy days.
Hi all,
Interesting to read the preceeding post - I joined the Larchbank on my first trip as the 'Sixer' in Bangkok on the 11th September 1976. Yes, the prop was a problem, the spare, cast iron unit had been fitted. We headed to Japan to load general cargo then headed off to Lagos at 10 knots for a six week voyage ! Laid at anchor for around 5 weeks over Christmas, before discharging and heading off to my home Port of Middlesbrough (Tees drydock) where I paid off. At that point I thought 'never again' but returned to Bankline after a 6 week leave and continued life at sea, in various guises until my recent retirement this summer - to repeat - happy days.....,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,
Interesting to read the preceeding post - I joined the Larchbank on my first trip as the 'Sixer' in Bangkok on the 11th September 1976. Yes, the prop was a problem, the spare, cast iron unit had been fitted. We headed to Japan to load general cargo then headed off to Lagos at 10 knots for a six week voyage ! Laid at anchor for around 5 weeks over Christmas, before discharging and heading off to my home Port of Middlesbrough (Tees drydock) where I paid off. At that point I thought 'never again' but returned to Bankline after a 6 week leave and continued life at sea, in various guises until my recent retirement this summer - to repeat - happy days.....,
If it gets into your blood ... you have got to go back! I did!!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts