Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm sitting at home with my son who says he saw on tv the largest tanker in the world. A beer is on this so you lot out there are hopefully going to prove me right.

I don't know which is the current largest vessel (I'd love to know) but I believe whatever it is it does not beat in weight the 60's/ 70's build vessels that were all the rage in those days. (I.E. The Niarchos/Onassis/Berge consortiums that raced to launch the largest tanker over 500.000 tons.)

Ok over to you my friends. Shoot me down in flames if you must, it will cost me dear if you do.

Dick

·
Registered
278 Posts
ulcc

In 1979 a tanker which had been completed and immediately laid-up without sea service, was dragged out of mothball state and sent to foreign places to be extended [stretched]. It was already a massive ship at 1237 foot long and well over 400,000 dwt, but the new owner wanted the ship cut in half to add in a new section which was 265.5 feet long, thus, on completion, making the ship 1504 feet long. On purchase the unwanted ship was called OPPAMA, and the new owner renamed it the SEAWISE GIANT. When rebuilt she had a dwt of 647,955 tonnes and a ballast light weight of 83,192 tonnes, the largest ship ever built, and she started her life proper in 1980.
1990 the burnt out wreck was bought and sent to Singapore to be re-built. She was renamed the HAPPY GIANT, but before she was delivered to her saviour, she was re-sold and again renamed, this time to JAHRE VIKING.

For the next decade, the JAHRE VIKING was a happy little{!} ship delivering oil all over the world but mainly to Europe and the USA. Her cargo of over 4 million barrel of crude oil, each at $50.00 could be valued at 210 million dollars, but once again, her running costs held down the profit to approximately $34,500 per day – not a good return for such a cargo. By 2002 it was considerably lower.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks. It all comes flooding back. Yes the Seawise Giant & Jahre Viking how could I have forgotten those names. The beer is still not coming my way though at the moment. My son cannot believe we had bigger ships in those days.
So which is the current vessel that is classed as the largest tanker in the world today. Answers on a postcard please to .............! Heh Heh

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Big Big Ships

The TI Africa, ex Hellespont Metropolis (built 2004), is quite big, one of four built 2001-2004, 442.470 DWT,
its sistership the Hellespont Fairfax was featured in a TV do***entary not long ago.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Newkie Brown on the table. But it won't be there long. Heh Heh
Thanks to everyone. Cheeeers Hic.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
graham said:
go to auke vissers international super tankers jahre viking is on there with a lot more super tankers
graham
Graham have you got the url. I keep hitting a wall putting in 'auke vissers'.

Dick

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
The ULCCs came into service just as the demand for sea transportation of oil collapsed. OPEC price rises reduced consumption and made it possible to use high cost oil fields that did not need long ocean delivery hauls. The North Sea for example.

Long haul is back today, largely because of Chinese oil requirements, but the ULCCs were single hull tankers, which are now generally banned. I believe that the newly built ships are smaller because of the need to access a wider range of delivery ports.

Fred

·
Registered
606 Posts
One of the reasons for the demise of ULCC's was the fact that, if one were to ground, it would make a hell of a mess. They generally paid for themselves in a couple of round trips to the Gulf. It is much easier and safer to move oil around in 'shuttle' tankers

·
Registered
378 Posts
During my tanker time the largest afloat was the "universe appollo ".........I saw her up the gulf several times but can,t remember her details ......(not a beer winner ???)...backsplice

·
Registered
442 Posts
"Universe Appolo" 114,300 deadweight tons, built 1959 in Kure for Ludwig"s Universe Tankships, 2 steam turbines 25,000 hp at 100 rpm.LOA 949' 9", draft 48' 3".

·
Registered
606 Posts
Although the Prestige and Braer made a mess, it was nothing compared to a ULCC sinking. I was on the Chevron South America, 464000 dwt. If she were to sink, can you imagine the slick? It would cover and entire side of the USA easily. The sinking of the Prestige should never had happened, the authorities have only themselves to blame for her foundering.

·
Registered
640 Posts
hi i can rember there was the globtik tokyo seawise giant the two french shell tankers bellamya and batillius also the pieruie guillimout but think the jahre viking was the largest one to stay in service and used a couple of different names

1 - 20 of 88 Posts