Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any good clear photos of LASH (Lighter Aboard Ship) in any guise. Some names Acadia Forest, Atlantic Forest, Lash Turkiye, Lash Espana, Thomas E. Cuffe, Golden Bear, Pacific Bear, Japan Bear, China Bear, Lash Hellas, Lash Portugal, Phillipine bear, Bilderdyk, Munchen (she disappeared with all hands) Some are now owned by US Navy.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Muchen

japottinger said:
Jim

Not a photo of the Munchen - but an artist impression of her battling a large freak wave is available on the BBC site as a wallpaper, near the bottom of this page.

The programme summary, etc of the Horizon do***entary (2002) on 'Freak Waves' is here.

Back to 16

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lash ships

In website www. waterman-steamship.com/Forest Lines maybe you can find something for you,anyway there are two phorographs of lashships.
Joop

·
Registered
987 Posts
Thanks to all posters for some great pics of what I find fascinating ships. For what it is worth, some time ago I was on a cruise through the Port of Melbourne, courtesy of a client, and actually sponsored by the Port Authority. I happened to notice tied up alongside the river bank (Yarra) a couple of what I knew to be LASH barges. Now I was also pretty certain that that particular concept never was used on the Aussie trade. So I started to ask around my fellow cruisers, most of whom thought I was totally nuts. This was a corporate function after all, one is there for the good food, free booze, and the chance for a bit of mutual back scratching. No one could tell me how they got here, not even a pretty high boss from the port. So anyone got any ideas, did they ever do a long forgotten voyage to Oz, is this the later day mahogany ship mystery, was she really a yankyman LASH boat?
CBoots

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have just put a couple of photos of the Robert E Lee in the Gallery. One showing the barge operation. Is this the sort of thing you were after?

Rgds.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Lash barges were used in Auckland NZ, floated over to Jellicoe wharf & worked on by Quayside cranes.One barge had the bottom drop out of it when loading over the stern & lost the cargo of steel coils I think into the harbour, possibly a GRP constructed barge though others were of more conventional construction.Good enough for NZ good enough for OZ?

seeking

·
Registered
763 Posts
The lash barges seen in Auckland use to come down with Farrell Lines.
A couple of vessel names spring to mind.....Austral Entree (spelling ??) and Austral Lightning.

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
seeking said:
Lash barges were used in Auckland NZ, floated over to Jellicoe wharf & worked on by Quayside cranes.One barge had the bottom drop out of it when loading over the stern & lost the cargo of steel coils I think into the harbour, possibly a GRP constructed barge though others were of more conventional construction.Good enough for NZ good enough for OZ?

seeking
Pretty sure I saw Lash ships in Burnie, Tasmania, in the '80s (possibly Bear Line). I definitely saw them in Jeddah in the early '70s. they used to come in, drop off the barges, pick up the ones left from the previous trip and clear off. We were stuck there at anchor for ages - mind you, it wasn't all bad, lots of pistachios and (keep it under your hat) home made 'Sediki' ashore.

John T.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
LASH ships were regular visitors to Sydney.LASH barges are still to this day being used for various purposes around harbour.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Ahoy Jim,
As far as I know, they all come from different sources, some were send to me by friends, others were taken from the I-net,some are copied from books/magazines but I don't know if any is been ©.As there are no signs on the pix, I guess, no one should claim them.But that will be always a mystery.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts