Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Does anyone know the last ship to sail with Brocklebank's and was anybody on board for the final handover?

It has been a long time since Tennents lager and old the good old days.

Cheers Ray

·
Premium Member
12,399 Posts
Might be CARINTHIA, CARMANIA, SAMARIA, SAXONIA, SCYTHIA or SERVIA. These were the reefers owned by Cunard but Managed by Brocklebank. All ended operations in 1986. Sad ending of a great company.

Stephen

·
Registered
196 Posts
Might be CARINTHIA, CARMANIA, SAMARIA, SAXONIA, SCYTHIA or SERVIA. These were the reefers owned by Cunard but Managed by Brocklebank. All ended operations in 1986. Sad ending of a great company.

Stephen
I sailed on two of these, but they were managed by Cunard Shipping Services. I don't think there was a separate Brocklebanks management by this time. There were a couple of ex Port Line ships sailing in Brocks colours towards the end.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Hi All,

Does anyone know the last ship to sail with Brocklebank's and was anybody on board for the final handover?

Cheers Ray
Markhor was the last Brocklebank build to be sold in 1981. Port Caroline and Chalmers renamed Matra and Manaar lasted until they were sold in 1983. Mahout, Maihar and Mahsud all went in 1978. (referenced from "The Ships List")

·
Registered
Fleetwood Nautical college 1973 to 1976 Cunard, radio electronic Services 1975 to 1983
6 Posts
Hi All,

Cheers Ray
Well from my point of view the fruit ships were not Brocklebank, their funnels were port line colours. Brock's had Indian crews, and as far as I know Markhor was the last one, sold in 1981. Two port line ships the port st lawrence was converted and renamed Matangi and the port Alfred was renamed Mashira. These were sold in 1982, I was on the last Brocklebank voyage of the Mashira, which I posted about recently. My first trip was on Mahout, sister to Markhor, and I also did a trip on Matangi, proper ships, I loved my time on them.
Here is a good page https://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/brock.shtml

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All,
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like it appears to be the Markhor sold 1981.
Thanks for the ships list link.It brings back a lot of memories from 1960's from Royal Albert Docks London.
Cheers Ray

·
Premium Member
12,399 Posts
I sailed on two of these, but they were managed by Cunard Shipping Services. I don't think there was a separate Brocklebanks management by this time. There were a couple of ex Port Line ships sailing in Brocks colours towards the end.
Yes, the whole bit about management is very muddy indeed. By the end it was 'Cunard-Brocklebank' and the funnels colours changed faster that a *****'s knickers!
What happened to the Brocklebank personnel? Transfer to Cunard-Brocks or went elsewhere?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes, the whole bit about management is very muddy indeed. By the end it was 'Cunard-Brocklebank' and the funnels colours changed faster that a *'s knickers!
What happened to the Brocklebank personnel? Transfer to Cunard-Brocks or went elsewhere?
When I joined Cunard Brocklebank, in 1977, it was then known as Cunard Shipping Services. I sailed with a mixture of Port Line, Brocklebanks and Cunard personnel. There was occasionally some animosity between them; that did not affect me because I was a Shaw Savill man.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi All,

Cheers Ray
Hi raymon I sailed on markhor 6 to 7 trips mahout for 3to 4 trips I think markhor was the last brock ship to go I know there was port line ships changed there colour but original brocks I think was markhor I got married when I was on the markhor in smiths Dock north shieldsand had my reception on the ship captain alen bull was there purser Billy gardener was my best man still married after 47 years retired 2 years ago happy days

·
Registered
23 Posts
I sailed on the Masirah (former Port Alfred) on her last real trip before laid-up on the Fal. Great trip, mixture of Port Line Cunard and Brocks officers, Indian crew. Joined in Aqaba, down to Australia for de-ratting then New Plymouth for six weeks loading butter and mutton, on to Novorosysk on the Black Sea, Malta for dry-dock and finally Falmouth. Some names I remember, Willie Horsley, Chop Chop Wilson, Tim Reid, Tommo, Bill Barlow, Don Hargreaves, Clive Sibbering, John Oscroft, Colin Cranes. Good times

·
Registered
Fleetwood Nautical college 1973 to 1976 Cunard, radio electronic Services 1975 to 1983
6 Posts
I sailed on the Masirah (former Port Alfred) on her last real trip before laid-up on the Fal. Great trip, mixture of Port Line Cunard and Brocks officers, Indian crew. Joined in Aqaba, down to Australia for de-ratting then New Plymouth for six weeks loading butter and mutton, on to Novorosysk on the Black Sea, Malta for dry-dock and finally Falmouth. Some names I remember, Willie Horsley, Chop Chop Wilson, Tim Reid, Tommo, Bill Barlow, Don Hargreaves, Clive Sibbering, John Oscroft, Colin Cranes. Good times
In February 1982 I joined the laid up Mashira in Falmouth and we went to Lyttleton NZ and Portland Australia loading mutton for Novorossisk. After unloading the ship went round to Eleusis Greece and was laid up for a four years before being sold to a Greek company who did one voyage Rotterdam to Philippines after which the ship was scrapped in Taiwan in 1986.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts