Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back to one of our old problems.
People to get free (PURE) heroin in Glasgow,off trained nurses.
Patients will get 3 treatments a day.

It works by acting like the body’s natural painkillers known as endorphins.These control pain by blocking pain messages normally sent to the brain.It is being given to heroin addicts as it is far safer than street heroin.Medical experts also point out it vastly reduces the risk of overdose. Is this a CRACKPOT of an idea,to get them clean.(Smoke)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I recall a similar scheme being tried in Switzerland. It was eventually halted due to the amount of addicts from other countries trying to get free Heroin Legally with the ensuing problems that entailed There are enough beggars, thieves etc from around Europe without encouraging their junkie friends for a drugs fuelled party.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Has been tried and tested in Scandinavia with good results.

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
I thought that regular 'scripts' of Methadone was the favoured method, even to the extent of single doses being administered by the Pharmacist.
Yes, I do know that it is possible to OD on methadone because I have, while working, had to deal with the consequences of that.

I did read, many years ago that there was a proposed methadone substitute as the way forward.
I just looked it up and it is Dihydrocodeine, a very strong painkiller.
Dihydrocodeine is cheaper, easier to store and is safer in use. So what happened?

·
Registered
779 Posts
I just looked it up and it is Dihydrocodeine, a very strong painkiller.
Dihydrocodeine is cheaper, easier to store and is safer in use. So what happened?
Is codeine not also addictive, Malcolm? I was prescribed co-codomal for a bad knee, and told to take it indefinitely. I took it for two days, then binned the rest of the pills. I preferred the pain, rather than addiction.
Is your above not the same family? Just wondering.

Rgds D

·
Premium Member
10,420 Posts
I don't know about co-codomol being addictive but it did only one thing for me when prescribed after after fistula surgeries, knee surgery and when wrenched muscle in shoulder. As I was not in pain for the first four I simply didn't take it (resulting in Sister handing over with "And this is Mr. Varley who is refusing medication"). For the shoulder I did take it. Absolutely no effect whatsoever on the pain but within a day I was well and truly constipated - a well known, I am told, effect of the codeine. Containing Paracetemol I avoided alcohol which would have been a far better pain reliever. It was not until sporty young colleague recommended ibuprofen as the pill of choice that I got any relief with the bowels returning to something like normal over the following weekend.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Pain Medication

I sailed with a Mate whose mother was addicted to Codeine, being a pharmacists wife easy to get hold of. I have had quite a few bad injuries over the last three years, I shattered my shoulder ball joint and humorous, broke my wrist, I have a plate holding it all together now. I was on morphine tablets and oromorph for months..my wife was so worried I would get addicted, but I assured her as soon as the pain eased I would stop, which I did, but had withdrawal symptoms for about two weeks. Constipated tell me about it…….

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
It was not until sporty young colleague recommended ibuprofen as the pill of choice that I got any relief with the bowels returning to something like normal over the following weekend.
The small print on my pack of Ibuprofen does not mention constipation but draws ones attention to the fact it will turn your stools black. As if a gentleman would look.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I sailed with a Mate whose mother was addicted to Codeine, being a pharmacists wife easy to get hold of. I have had quite a few bad injuries over the last three years, I shattered my shoulder ball joint and humorous, broke my wrist, I have a plate holding it all together now. I was on morphine tablets and oromorph for months..my wife was so worried I would get addicted, but I assured her as soon as the pain eased I would stop, which I did, but had withdrawal symptoms for about two weeks. Constipated tell me about it…….
Humorous? Doesn't sound funny to me.

My wife can only take paracetamol. Anything stronger and she hallucinates. I think she was on codeine when we met

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Dihydrocodeine and Codeine and others are classed as synthetic opiates and consequently carry a risk of addiction.
The experts just assess the relative 'safety' of the drugs when they are being used to serve an addiction rather than a medical condition.
It also helps if the drug being so prescribed is in lower 'controlled drugs' classification.

The locked cupboard in the pharmacy marked 'CD' does not contain music for their sound system.:sweat:

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
I see the comedians have been out again…..I can assure them that it was not funny or humerus, but bloody painful
Foca, I was not trying to be a comedian or make fun of your pain, I was referring to Kens post where he said it was NOT Humorous to him.
Funny Bone is the non medical term for your Humerus.

Humerus is the funny bone (bone of our upper arm).. apparently because when the medial epicondyle of humerus is hit, it produces tingling sensation. Because behind the medial epicondyle of humerus, ulnar nerve is subcutaneous and produces the so called tingling sensation.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I see the comedians have been out again…..I can assure them that it was not funny or humerus, but bloody painful
I accept that Foca's humerus, was neither funny, nor humorous, and from personal experience, know it can be painful.
But, the big but, how do you get photos like that, and how do you post them?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
During about 4 years of pretty severe back pain I was on a cocktail of drugs pre ops (x2) including.
Codeine
Dyclofenac
Tramadol
Amitriptyline
Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
And other various lotions, and potions that folk swore by.
Some Chavez in the local offered to buy my amitriptyline, so I knew that must be good stuff. At first I got along ok with Tramadol, but the last time I took it threw an absolute ****** and puked all over.
Looking back I was absolutely spaced out, but never worried about addiction. I just wanted to be out of pain, and moving freely again. All drugs do is make the pain, I got off them as quick as I could. Besides anything the prescriptions were costing me a bloody fortune.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts