Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My late father in law served as a Radio Officer from Jan 1944 to the 1950s with a break in 1948 to 1951. He started to write his life story but sadly passed away last November and so it was never completed, a labour of love that I've taken on!
In June 1944 he joined the MV Isipingo as Third Radio Officer and sailed from Liverpool to West Africa, South Africa, Mauritius, Ceylon and India returning to London? in January 1945. In his writing he says that the Isipingo was severely damaged by a very near miss from a Japanese aircraft, so this must have been on the northbound leg from Columbo to Calcutta between the 11th & 17th September, or the southbound return to Columbo between the 8th and 13th October. He wrote that the ship made it to Durban for repairs arriving 28th October. Can anyone confirm these details? He recalls the Masters name was Murchison?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum,
ISIPINGO sailed from Liverpool 10/June/1944 and returned to London 04/Jan/1945. There is nothing to indicate an attack in that time recorded on the ships WW2 Movement Card.
You can download the card for free after registering and signing on with the National Archives
He may have recalled a different date. To be sure I would seek out the 1945 Crew Agreement and Logbook of ISIPINGO. official number 163205. Search via O/N. This should record any major attack.
As the vessel returned to a UK port in 1945 this should be in her first Logbook reference, here.
You would be advised to visit Kew in person when the current Covid restrictions are lifted.
Also ship MV Isipingo

regards
Roger

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome to the forum,
ISIPINGO sailed from Liverpool 10/June/1944 and returned to London 04/Jan/1945. There is nothing to indicate an attack in that time recorded on the ships WW2 Movement Card.
You can download the card for free after registering and signing on with the National Archives
He may have recalled a different date. To be sure I would seek out the 1945 Crew Agreement and Logbook of ISIPINGO. official number 163205. Search via O/N. This should record any major attack.
As the vessel returned to a UK port in 1945 this should be in her first Logbook reference, here.
You would be advised to visit Kew in person when the current Covid restrictions are lifted.
Also ship MV Isipingo

regards
Roger
Thanks for your reply Roger.
My father in law started writing his life story in 2002. He had to stop due to arthritis in his hands and wrists. Had we known about this at the time then I'm sure we could have helped him to continue and finish it.
He tells some of the occurrences that happened on that particular voyage. His stepsister died in 1944 and he wrote that he didn't get the news of her death until the ship returned to the UK. He wrote that the authorities thought the ship had been lost because the ships mail was returned. He also recounted that the ship had repairs carried out in Durban. It could be that his memory was playing tricks on him, we will never now be able to find out as he died last November having had dementia from around 5 years before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
His discharge book gives details of his next ships as Framlington Court from February to May 1945 voyage across the Atlantic to Guantanamo Cuba and back, followed by the Pilar de Laranaga from June to August for a voyage to Haiti, Jamaica and back to the UK, details of these voyages I have found. His next ship is the Athel Prince but I need to find voyage details for this one?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hello again.
Again take a look at the Crew Agreements and Logbooks. ATHELPRINCE O/N 147356
I think this may be his WW" medal liting Downloadable for free

regards
Roger

1 - 6 of 6 Posts