Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
That must have been a pretty late recording. In the 1960s he would never have got away with sending dreadful morse like that!

·
Premium Member
10,423 Posts
And your excuse E-S is?

Some of us are not in asylums. Some others of us have bred. Yet others of us do not imbibe to excess. We are surely all over 30.

Therefore mad, queer or alcoholic by that age is only a guide, not gospel.

(Some of us, of course, do the triathlon).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ron, I didn't think it was very bad sending, a bit rushed in the "tfc list lsn" part but it did the job. Sent on a straight key at about 23 wpm. Who amongst us can still do that?
73, Andrew

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Not many of us are employed as telegraphists at GLD. And we would not have been employed as telegraphists at GLD in the 1960s if we had sent Morse like that.

·
Premium Member
10,423 Posts
Ron, I didn't think it was very bad sending, a bit rushed in the "tfc list lsn" part but it did the job. Sent on a straight key at about 23 wpm. Who amongst us can still do that?
73, Andrew
Sending. Probably. Receiving. That is another question.

·
Registered
779 Posts
What was wrong with the morse sending? I thought it was nice and clear!

P.S. I've always found human keying, more intelligible, than mechanical keying.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
#7 .. Can't vouch for the actual GLD recording date but the RO who recorded it came ashore in 1962.

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
I've heard much worse morse than that but there was a bit of a wobble in the signal.

John T

P.S. Maybe an explanation for the uninitiated .... LEFO: "Lands End for Orders" when the company weren't sure where to send you.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Maybe I have a rose-tinted memory but I always remember GLD and DAN as two MF coast stations where the Morse was always something to be admired.

When arriving from the West, or crossing the Bay homeward bound, GLD's was not necessarily the fastest Morse, but always rock steady, dependable and rhythmic, easily copied through the gabble from French and Spanish stations.

There is an excellent example attached to post #24 here. I don't have any idea of the date but that is the sort of Morse I would recognise as typical GLD.

·
Registered
125 Posts
lefo

Any sensible R/O avoided tankers like the plague. I believe that those unwise enough to sail in them went troppo when up the gulf and emitted on regular occasions morse somewhat similar to the end piece of the GLD TFC list

·
Registered
125 Posts
DAN was a pain in the rear, every time one settled down to some piece and quiet dirty DAN would start blasting away smothering all those poor little frog and belgium stations. Typical german.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts