Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Leven Fisher was set up to carry 3(I think) cylindrical flasks of approx 76 tons each in no.1 hatch and 8 (again I think) cubed flasks in no.2 hatch of approx. 45 tons each. On one trip a leak was detected in 1 of the large flasks , the hatches were sealed and on arrival at Barrow anchored and plywood and a load of lead pellets brought on board to build a shield round the leak. Also there was another leak as when we were entering the locks the press was waiting for us. We had had a wet and sloppy passage from the Panama Canal and so the hull was showing a lot of rust and the following day in the press the headline was ...Atomic Rust Bucket..

·
Registered
3 Posts
One time after leaving Honolulu for Japan and somewhere between Honolulu and Midway an unholy bang came from the engine room and it was found that the engine could not be used and as we were not carrying any nuclear waste at the time an emergency was not declared and so we had to wait for a tug to take us back to Honolulu. It was found that the repair was of such specialized nature that Dillingham shipyard could not do it so an engineer and his equipment was flown from Los Angeles. The Leven Fisher was DC but all his equipment was 120 AC., so there we were, a small nuclear waste carrier tied up at pier 9 under the Aloha Tower with an AC generator on the quay for about ten days and not too far to walk to Hotel Street. Anyway after repairs we left for Tokaimura, where, after we arrived there, the chief engineer went missing and it was found that the engine room log books had also gone missing. They caught up with him at Heathrow a few days later.

In the late 90s there was a nuclear accident at Tokiamura. For anyone interested http://www.joewein.de/tokaimura.htm

As the Leven Fisher was the only ship doing that work at the time and only twice a year got to Japan, a rigging crew was brought from Yokohama, I believe, to rig the dockside crane for loading and unloading the flasks and after we left it was unrigged till the next time.

The transporter carrying the flasks from the ship to the power plant was something from StarTreck

·
Registered
16 Posts
It was a long time ago but I can only remember carrying 2 cylindrical flasks in No 1 hatch. That's not to say she could not carry 3 flasks in number 1 hatch. As for the number in number 2 hatch you could well be right or it would only be 6 flasks. As you know you could not see them at sea due to cooling system where the flasks where sealed in and could not see the flasks unlike with the other flask that connect to cooling pipes from the ship and cooled.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts