Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A section of Liverpool's floating landing stage sank during the night (1st/2nd March). This was reportedly due to the stage contacting the river bed during an exceptionally low tide. Mersey ferries are now using the Isle of Man section of the stage.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Later reports say that the cause was HIGH tides coupled with severe weather conditions. No severe weather here in Liverpool last night except for half an inch of snow, so..........who knows???

·
Registered
17 Posts
With any luck that Gerry Marsden record "Ferry cross the Mersey" they play on every ferry crossing I went on sunk with it!(LOL)

Brian

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Maybe Gary Neville kicked a hole in it.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Just to let you all know, most of Liverpool Floating landing stage, the ferries bit, sank last night. There is a part still left but it is listing badly.

All ferry services have been suspended today. It is hoped that they will resume tomorrow, using the bit still afloat which accomodates the I.O.M. ferries.

It looks like it was holed following it bottoming during the spring low tides. It is not known at the moment how long it will take to raise and repair.

Chris.

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Tmac1720 said:
Maybe Gary Neville kicked a hole in it.
You just can't resist living dangerously, can you Oul hand? (Jester)

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
last time i rode the ferry was on a river cruise back in 1973, seem to recall we gave the pierhead quite a whallop when we returned!
Interesting way to see Liverpool though, it was my first visit and have to admit to being impressed by the mersey. Didnt see any fairys across it though!! LOl

·
Registered
723 Posts
billyboy said:
last time i rode the ferry was on a river cruise back in 1973, seem to recall we gave the pierhead quite a whallop when we returned!
Interesting way to see Liverpool though, it was my first visit and have to admit to being impressed by the mersey. Didnt see any fairys across it though!! LOl
fairies are few and far between in Liverpool, If you want fairies you'll have to go to Manchester

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Gulpers said:
You just can't resist living dangerously, can you Oul hand? (Jester)
That's more true than you think LOL by the way do you ever read your PM's ?? LOL

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
While on the subject of Liverpool landing stage, I thought that some members might be interested in the following announcement.

STOP PRESS
OCEAN GROUP TAKE OVER MERSEY FERRIES

The Mersey underground railway was highly congested during the peak hours again today following the Ocean Group’s take over of the Birkenhead and Wallasey ferries. Extra trains were laid on by the M.P.T.E. but barely managed to cope with the overspill of commuters stranded by the ferries. An Ocean spokesman said that he did not think that the four hour wait between sailings was excessive when one considered all that had to be done
“It is not generally appreciated,” he said, “that there is a lot of work which must be done before we can allow one of these vessels to proceed to sea. For instance, we must have a Superintendent conduct an arrival inspection and our officials must go through the damage reports, condition reports, crew reports, accident reports, engine performance reports, navigational reports, to name but a few. All the abstracts must be completed and a check by our victualling department must ascertain that there are still two tea towels in the snack bar and one in the toilet. The Catering Officer then has to visit Head office to explain deficiencies and the reason for his high rate. Then before we sail again we must have a coastwise inspection, a fire and boat drill and the Officers must visit Head Office for their outward interviews.”
When asked about the 1½ transit time from one side of the Mersey to the other, the spokesman said that this was mainly due to the Company’s requirement for an emergency boat drill to be conducted once a voyage, to allow time for the Master’s inspection of the storerooms and engine room, to give the 3rd Engineer time to do his indicator cards and to enable alleyway paper to be laid prior to arrival in a UK port.
“Then, of course,” he concluded, “we are often delayed by officialdom, such as Custom’s rummages and DTI surveys.”
The Lord Mayor of Merseyside, Alderman Sir Friday Bangura, commented that the problem would soon be resolved when the new multi-million Cedi single lane swing bridge was opened.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Liverpool landing Stage

Dave,

What qualifications do you have to make such a disparaging statement speaking as you do from as far away from Liverpool as Canada no less.

I happen to have used it for many years and find your remark ignorant. This particular stage has been a part of Liverpool for thirty years and served the city and Mersey Ferries well.

When was the last time you used it ?

Chris.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts