Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
She was an ocean going tug owned by United Towing of Hull and was in the mid 1970s a principal player in the dangerous Icelandic "Cod War".There were some really nasty moments recorded on film and shown on TV.
This was taken at Greenock on one of her breaks from these duties.I think she was actually based there for some time but could be wrong.She did come in a few times.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
LLOYDSMAN was sold to Selco Salvage Limited of Singapore during 1979 and renamed SALVISCOUNT. Sold for scrapping in Pakistan March 1988. I got a shot of her in the West India Docks in London taken in 1979 prior to her sale, I'll dig it out and post it later.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob S said:
LLOYDSMAN was sold to Selco Salvage Limited of Singapore during 1979 and renamed SALVISCOUNT. Sold for scrapping in Pakistan March 1988. I got a shot of her in the West India Docks in London taken in 1979 prior to her sale, I'll dig it out and post it later.
Look forward to that,Bob.Thanks.Like the other shots posted.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I sure I've got a photo from 1979 but this is the only shot I can find at the moment. Taken, also in the West India Docks in London, during 1971 on what was, I believe, a promotional tour when she was new.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob S said:
I sure I've got a photo from 1979 but this is the only shot I can find at the moment. Taken, also in the West India Docks in London, during 1971 on what was, I believe, a promotional tour when she was new.

Thanks Bob,interesting shot and she looks very smart.Pity she had to be used in such a manner during the Icelandic disputes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tin cans

I sailed on the LLoydsman in 1976 (I think). It was a great time. The bosun made a wonderful model of the tug out of tin cans. I have a photo somewhere. Maybe I'll post it when I find it.

I found it at long last. It's been a few months, but I think the result is worthwile.

Wonder where that bosun is now. Sadly I cannot remember his name.
Here is a picture of his wonderful creation then.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The bosun was called Ernie (glue it)Baker.He made quite a few models of various tugs he sailed on,all out of tin cans he salvaged from the galley gash bin.He used the ships plans to get the details/dimentions spot on,then he would put the model in a tank of water and ballast it down to the correct drought,by putting sand in the ballast tanks before sealing them up.I sailed with Ernie many a time.Ialso sailed on the "Lloydsman's" last voyage before being sold to Selco,a sad day.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just seen this.Absolutely marvellous.To come from old cans is just out of this world.True craftsman.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
lloydsman what a great tug norman story was captian for a long time he did a lot of salvage work with her and he was skipper of her when she was on duty in iceland.
also captian garry morrise was skipper of her for some time. norman wrote a book about his time on duyt in icelandic waters what a great book to read unfortunatally both of them have passed on now what a great loss to the towing world
sam

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
arther whitley was cheif engineer he was then put in the office as marine super still on the go but he is retired i still see him at his carivan near to were i live CAPTIN DENNIS PEACE is very ill and imobilised he is so big and weigh about 35 stone i go and see him
now and again CAPTIAN TONY OAKLEY is still on the go with his own salvage company
oakley marine salvage ltd
sam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jack Linford was the skipper when I sailed on her. Norman Storey - the name rings a bell. I think he was working hard in the office at Hull somewhere.:) We also had a navigator chappie for the ocean going trips.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does anyone remember an engineer by the name of Farrell and a skipper by the name of Alan Stockwell.

I used to sail with father of Farrell and knew Alan as an AB in Alexandra Towing before he saw the light and went onto better things.

There was another lad from ATC who went over to UTC but I just can't think of his name. He was skipper of the Salvageman for a while.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
yes i knew CAPT ALEN STOCKWELL VERY WELL WHEN HE WAS SKIPPER OF THE BIG L
HE WAS ON HER IN THE FALKLANDS AND HE WAS AT THE SIGNING OF THE SERANDER OF THE FALKLANDS HE HAD TO SIT ON THE ROUND TABLE WITH ALL THE BIG WIZZ KIDS TO WITNESS IT. WHAT HAPPENED TO ALEN AFTER HE LEFT THE COMPANY I DO NOT KNOW. THAT IS RIGHT CAPT NOTNAM STORY WAS PUT IN YHE OFFICE AS HEAD TOWING MSATER. CAPTIN JACK LINFORD WAS CAPTIAN OF THE BIG L HE WAS NORMANS BACK OT BACK.JACK THEN WENT TO SOUTH AFRICA WITH SOME MORE TUG SKIPPERS AND TOOK OVER THE JOHN ROSS AND SISTER TUG.SIX MOUNTHS ON SIX OFF. DANNY BETTS IS A HULL SKIPPER EX UTC HE IS ON HER NOW AFTER DOING THE LONGEST SEA TOW OF THE FSPO BONGA SAM

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sam,

Cheers mate, it is good that folk remember characters like these.

I too was tempted early on in my career to go to UTC but stayed put with ATC. If I had read the crystal ball right at the time I would have made a fortune by placing a bet on UTC and ATC becoming part of Adsteam.

Yep you are quite right, it was John Bold, do you know where he has ended up.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
hi george
i think john bold and alen were taken on by the company who took over the big L.
it was a spanish company salled her espamiolia i think thay thay then went on to salvageman then and then on to klynes towing
sam

1 - 20 of 126 Posts