Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Excellent work, Bob.
I'm extremely jealous of such skills.
Best I could do was the Billings Viking Ship many years ago.
Cheers
Kris

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Followed the build all the way through Bob. From that wee bit of wood to the finished work of art, truly amazing and a privilege to witness.
Thank you

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
I have enjoyed the build sequence and congratulations on the finished product! I am going to have a go myself in the near future and hope to enrol my daughters! First a static display (very small) and then three into one bottle.
Peace and Prosperity for the New Year, Bob. I look forward to your future projects.
Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
87 Posts
Congratulations on another superb model Bob.

I hope that you are successful in getting a suitably profitable outcome.

Art

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have enjoyed the build sequence and congratulations on the finished product! I am going to have a go myself in the near future and hope to enrol my daughters! First a static display (very small) and then three into one bottle.
Peace and Prosperity for the New Year, Bob. I look forward to your future projects.
Rgds.
Dave
I would give a lot of thought to the bottle Dave if you are going for three ships good luck with it all the best .

·
Registered
269 Posts
Excellent model again. And, it looks just as good viewed from port or starboard! Do you find that one side ends up just a bit better than the other?

Fred

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Fred,
I suppose the weather side is more interesting as you can see more rigging. For years photographs of the front of the sails of my models tended to make them look a bit phoney, rather like paper. Eventally, I got better at getting the wind filled shape & seams correct as well as the setting of the lower square sails which I previously found very difficult to get right. Over the past couple of years, I have ben able to photograph them from either side and they look OK.
Bob

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well Bob, I think she looks good both sides! I look forward to your next one, whether sh ebe sail or steam or motor, as they all look like they've been made with TLC.

Fred

·
Registered
20 Posts
something i forgot

i built a model of the loch torrens ten years ago it looks similar four masts and painted gunports it was in a book called how to build model clippers

franktheboat

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Frank,
The book was by Hobbs and was written a long time ago. His model of the LOCH TORRENS was an imaginery one, but I am sure that he based it on LOCH TORRIDON. Why he didn't produce it as LOCH TORRIDON, I don't know, because a model of a real ship is of far greater value than an imaginery one.
Bob

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have been working on the world's first ocean-going motor ship SELANDIA (1912) for some weeks, but making very slow progress because I am locked in a "Titanic battle" with Tiscali over my transfer from Orange to Tiscali Broadband (See Computers & the Internet, below).
Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
shipbuilder

you are dead right i bought the book in cornwall while on holiday,when i finished the model i sold it,
scrolling through the models on this site i came across an identical boat even down to the colour sceme but i cant find it now

1 - 20 of 22 Posts