Ships Nostalgia banner

121 - 140 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Lns

In case anyone is interested there is a Facebook Group: T.S. Exmouth LNTS at - https://www.facebook.com/groups/98085012092/
Exo

Thanks for that - very interesting facebook page with. some new info and fascinating detail. Slightly at a tangent, there is an interesting (free) ebook on Amazon called ' Ganges Boy'. A good account and worth a read.

Dave Harrington was ex LNS and Bank Line. Not many of us left.

very best wishes to you. / Alan R

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Yes Alan I was at Bray from 1946 and then Woolverstone until December 1948. Look forward to having what is left of my grey matter being stirred.
We were both at Woolverstone for the first term 1948, prior to you leaving. Do you have any recollections of Mick Mann or a lad called Keenan, both in 12 Dorm for that term? Later saw Mick Mann in Colombo in 1951 when we were berthed fore and aft in line in the harbour, Hazelbank and another one of the old timers - name not sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Exo

Thanks for that - very interesting facebook page with. some new info and fascinating detail. Slightly at a tangent, there is an interesting (free) ebook on Amazon called ' Ganges Boy'. A good account and worth a read.

Dave Harrington was ex LNS and Bank Line. Not many of us left.

very best wishes to you. / Alan R
Yes there are quite a few books about Ganges Alan once you start looking and its history e.g.: http://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/hms-ganges-1866-1966-one-hundred-years-of-training-boys-for-the-royal-navy/
We have a large Association of 2335 members all over the world.
During our last Reunion in April over 400 of us went back for a visit, church service, buffet and tot for the last time before the whole site is redeveloped.
At least some of the buildings are listed and will be restored as should the mast if promises and legal requirments are met.
For any Woolverstone Boys the swimming pool is also to be 'refurbished' and available to all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We were both at Woolverstone for the first term 1948, prior to you leaving. Do you have any recollections of Mick Mann or a lad called Keenan, both in 12 Dorm for that term? Later saw Mick Mann in Colombo in 1951 when we were berthed fore and aft in line in the harbour, Hazelbank and another one of the old timers - name not sure.
Cannot recall any names Alan except George Fitz-Costa whom I'm in touch with. He also went to Ganges 9 months after me. I went on Christmas leave 1948 and reported to Ganges on 4th January 1949. The only other name I vaguely recall is Needham? Mr Jones tried to teach me the clarinet. Because my hands were so small he even got hold of an 'E' flat one [the size of a piccolo] and wrote all the fingering on the music but unlike morse and all things Comms. I just could not get it so I ended up on the cymbals. Huge things for me, the wrist straps went twice round mine. Real good Turkish ones tho, rang on forever, supposed to have a quarter of a mile of brass wire in each. Arms sure ached by the time we arrived at the church.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
my best friends at woolverstone were a couple of twins(at the moment cannot remember their names)but they both went to Ganges,
jim

·
Registered
31 Posts
T.s. Exmouth.

Battle of Jutland.
Today's service in Orkney featured the song below.
When I located it on Y.T. its video contained a photo of 'our' ship.
I thought that some of you might like to see it:

Lonely Scapa Flow
Song composed by Allie Windwick of Kirkwall about the scuttling og the German fleet in
Scapa Flow in the Orkney Isles of Scotland. The song was originally sung by the late Angus Findlater
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VU8NGfMURg

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
T.S. Exmouth.

Battle of Jutland.
Today's service in Orkney featured the song below.
When I located it on Y.T. its video contained a photo of 'our' ship.
I thought that some of you might like to see it:

Lonely Scapa Flow
Song composed by Allie Windwick of Kirkwall about the scuttling og the German fleet in
Scapa Flow in the Orkney Isles of Scotland. The song was originally sung by the late Angus Findlater
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VU8NGfMURg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
I remember you

I have only just come across this site, but I see that the last posts were 2008, from Alan Rawlinson.
Is anybody still there?
I also left in 1951, the last of the Naval uniformed pupils.
Hallo Brian

Your surname rings a loud bell in my memory, but like most of us I could be getting mixed up. Were you a brainy one? I seem to remember a Franks going to Dartmouth... Was it you, perhaps?

Will send a PM s I see you don't access very often here.

Cheers/Alan R. ( author of 'Any Budding Sailors?' which has a chapter on Woolverstone days between 1948 to 1951.)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hallo Brian

Your surname rings a loud bell in my memory, but like most of us I could be getting mixed up. Were you a brainy one? I seem to remember a Franks going to Dartmouth... Was it you, perhaps?

Will send a PM s I see you don't access very often here.

Cheers/Alan R. ( author of 'Any Budding Sailors?' which has a chapter on Woolverstone days between 1948 to 1951.)
I cannot find Brians original post so Alan i have to tag onto this one.I can also lay claim to being the last of the uniformed pupils,but i also had a year in civvies and left summer term 52,
jim

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
I remember you games!

I cannot find Brians original post so Alan i have to tag onto this one.I can also lay claim to being the last of the uniformed pupils,but i also had a year in civvies and left summer term 52,
jim
Jim

Brian Franks was our era and left in the summer of 51 when I also left to join the ' Forthbank ' in Cardiff docks. We don't remember each other but we have been swapping emails in an attempt to find common memories. Brian mentioned that he was in the second dorm down from the road ( 2 dorm?) so he was near you and had the same letter F as the first of his surname. Any recall?

Cheers/Alan

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Woolverstone Hall plus

Some might this of interest - http://gcaptain.com/****-school-ships-uk/ - plenty of scrolling.
The site has changed characters in the link so try Googling this - Maritime Monday for October 22nd, 2010: Take Yer **** to School (Ships).uk
Ok so the **** is alfa romeo sierra echo
Hi Exo

Thanks for that - an interesting link, worth exploring...

Reading back through the posts, I see that you left Woolverstone just one term after I joined in Sept. 48. There were a couple of old timers in 12 Dorm on my arrival who also left soon after. They were lads called Mick Mann and Keenan. Do you remember the names or the have any recall? I bumped into Mick Mann 6 months later in Colombo when I was on the coal burning Hazelbank and he was on a Bank Line ship adjacent on the buoys. We took a picture which I still have.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Exo

Thanks for that - an interesting link, worth exploring...

Reading back through the posts, I see that you left Woolverstone just one term after I joined in Sept. 48. There were a couple of old timers in 12 Dorm on my arrival who also left soon after. They were lads called Mick Mann and Keenan. Do you remember the names or the have any recall? I bumped into Mick Mann 6 months later in Colombo when I was on the coal burning Hazelbank and he was on a Bank Line ship adjacent on the buoys. We took a picture which I still have.
Sorry Alan cannot remember many names. I am in touch with George Fitz-Costa of that era and Pat Jones who left Exmouth prior to LNTS. Have a look at our Facebook Group and you may spot a couple of names - https://www.facebook.com/groups/98085012092/ -The photos on there may be of interest. I came from Bray to Woolverstone and left at Xmas 1948 to join Ganges.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Woolversone july 1949 prize day

Please find attached the programme.
'Fitz' - Fitz-Costa is still with us.
We both went to Ganges from Exmouth so hence a couple of pre-war post cards also attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
We both went to Ganges from Exmouth so hence a couple of pre-war post cards also attached.
I remember the swimming pool we used to go down to ganges on a regular basis for a dip.

Alan,on the woolverstone hall web site they mention thatLNS was for the poor of the east end, well when i moved down from Scotland we moved in with our grandparents up in highbury and i went to st.Aloyiseus college ,I thought that i went to LNS because I wanted to go to sea,

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #138 (Edited)

Great post! And thanks for the 1949 pic of the prizes etc... my dorm mates and friends Alex Loveday, and Peter Lightbody both mentioned. As I vividly recall, I was still struggling to come to terms with the regime and new life style, so no prizes for me that year.

Jack Wesson was my pal - he went into BP. Alex Loveday was accepted by Hogarths of all companies, and I heard later he had left them in Australia. As a top student and all rounder, it was a mismatch for his talents.

There was Weston, later i/c 11 Dorm. He went to the Bank Line, and had the misfortune to fall overboard and then to be luckily picked up. I don't know the ship, but he joined us on the Inchanga for a positioning leg on the way back home and told this story.

Reeve and Manning I also remember.

Would dearly love to see the 1950 and 51 programmes!

Thanks for posting

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
I remember the swimming pool we used to go down to ganges on a regular basis for a dip.

Alan,on the woolverstone hall web site they mention thatLNS was for the poor of the east end, well when i moved down from Scotland we moved in with our grandparents up in highbury and i went to st.Aloyiseus college ,I thought that i went to LNS because I wanted to go to sea,
Hi Jim

I remember our trips to Ganges for sports. It was an ' eye opener'!

The tag LNS Woolverstone had was of course a hangover from the old ' Exmouth' days when it was widely regarded as a sort of correction school. Although a lot of the old boys resent being told this, the impression generally was maintained by the RN officers we had like Mr Mathews, Pamphlin, and Denton who enjoyed telling tales about the ' tough' old days and the punishments on offer!

121 - 140 of 175 Posts