Ships Nostalgia banner

141 - 160 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hms exmouth

Taken when TS Exmouth became HMS and served as a Sub. depot ship and mother whip to minesweepers at Scapa Flow in WW II.

"HMS Exmouth Depot Ship Signalling class on the poop deck."

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Woolverstone church

A couple of recent photos.
Our standard may be on the right hand wall?
The second is a recent exhibition - just to show the interior.
P.S. Following since received from Simon via FB:
Simon Pearce No David, not your banner I’m afraid. Your banner has been removed from the church and we are trying to find out what has happened to it. We are told by the PArochial Church Council that the fabric had deteriorated. However, in eight months since we asked they have not given a clear answer as to where it is, what has happened to it or what the future holds. We hope it’s deterioration can be arrested. Will let you know more when I know more.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can anyone give me information about Commander Smithwick or Smethwick? He signed a calendar with a photograph of Woolverstone Hall with an observation platform on the roof. I just wanted to know a bit more about him as he is mention in this thread.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Commander Smethwick

Can anyone give me information about Commander Smithwick or Smethwick? He signed a calendar with a photograph of Woolverstone Hall with an observation platform on the roof. I just wanted to know a bit more about him as he is mention in this thread.
He was there during my time 48 to 51, and was a remote figure at the head of the establishment. Gave out a sort of Avuncular image, and left all of the day to day contact with the boys and instructors to Commander Wiseman, who was very involved. Wiseman was a tall, good looking man who had a severe (well earned) image, but he had a softer side and found an overnight bed for my Father who arrived unannounced on a bike one day from London!

Matthews took all of the divisions etc, and Smethwick would appear silently for a few minutes for ceremonies etc.

Langley was the civilian headmaster. ( nicknamed 'Tapper') and one of his rolls appeared to be scouring the countryside in his Morris Major for runaways. This happened a few times a term.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the help, Alan. This photo would have been inthe 1960s so he would have been at least 10 years older than when you knew him. Must be two Commander Smithwicks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Attaching a photo

Hi there, Jim

You can attach a photo by clicking on the paper clip symbol above the text box. Go to browse and you can see the files on your computer. Select the file you want to attach. Click open. The name of the file will appear next to the word browse. Click on "upload" and the attachment will be uploaded to your message.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Woolverstone - large photo taken october 1951

This is a photo that was taken in October 1951 and supplied by Jim Ferrier.
It is too wide to post as one so here is the middle, left and right hand sections.
The question is - Is that Commander Wiseman in the centre of the first section who is dressed in a light coloured suit and has his arms crossed?
There seems to be a lot of 'dinner ladies' or were they something else?
If you are on the photo please indicate for the benefit of others.
Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
TU Alan, I thought it was but never remember seeing him out of uniform so was not 100% sure.
By the way how was the Capt. Superintendant's name was spelt Smethwick or Smithwick or?
Also was his first name Camden?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
TU Alan, I thought it was but never remember seeing him out of uniform so was not 100% sure.
By the way how was the Capt. Superintendant's name was spelt Smethwick or Smithwick or?
Also was his first name Camden?
Thanks...

Smethwick, I believe. Wiseman was a severe figure who was not averse to striking the boys, as I witnessed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Right section from right-R.Gould-DK-DK-DK-B.Workman-P.Croucher-J.Scarborough-N.Gould-DK-F.Moughton-DK-DK-I.McCulloch. Centre section 2nd row up from right Staff Evans(PT)-I.Bell(English)-DK-DK-Hanson-Johnston(History)-Smitherman(Headmaster)-Wiseman(Bursar)-Corner(Science)-Shuttleworth(Math)-Mudd(Science)

Attached slightly better pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Right section from right-R.Gould-DK-DK-DK-B.Workman-P.Croucher-J.Scarborough-N.Gould-DK-F.Moughton-DK-DK-I.McCulloch. Centre section 2nd row up from right Staff Evans(PT)-I.Bell(English)-DK-DK-Hanson-Johnston(History)-Smitherman(Headmaster)-Wiseman(Bursar)-Corner(Science)-Shuttleworth(Math)-Mudd(Science)

Attached slightly better pictures
Many thanks Brian, will pass back to those who will be interested.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hanson ,Johnson and Corner became housemasters when the school changed over.
Johnson took over Fox,cle div hanson Quarterdeck and Corner Foretop.

left hand photo second row down third in from right is mess small one would not believe that i was full back for the rugby team, my youngest grandson who plays for his school and club under 13s is bigger than I was at 16,

jim

141 - 160 of 175 Posts