Ships Nostalgia banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hall took over Maintop,thus the Houses became Johnsons,Corners,Halls and Hansons and later Orwell & Berners were added.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
we still all lived in nissan huts in 52,tho when i left they were building a house over on the far side of the main playing fields,

jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Len,

Hi Len,

My father joined LNSW 12.01.48 aged 14.
Are there any photo's available of the boys?
I have often wandered if anyone has photo's from that time period.

Kind regards
David Lawrence

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hi Len,

Kind regards
David Lawrence
It is just possible that he may be on the 1951 photo which was the first year that we were in civvies, just depends if he left at 16 or stayed on tip 17,

jim

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #166 (Edited)
Hi Len,

Kind regards
David Lawrence
Hi David

I joined in 48 and I have posted a few photos on varios sites online like Facebook pages for Woolverstone and LNS. Also they are on SN threads for the sea schools. Don't recall the name Lawrence, but do you have any details like the Dorm he was in? It would have been 11 probably, as we were alphabetically housed, and I was in 12 with a few L's,M's,and R's. but not a Lawrence. We had Loveday and Lightbody. Another friend called Lindley was in 11 Dorm, and he followed me into the Bank Line, last heard of as 3rd Mate of the " Luxmi", a veteran of the line.

cheers/Alan

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
T.S. Exmouth

T.S. EXMOUTH 1930s & 1940s

Pat 310 has kindly forwarded the attached.
Note reference to Cdr. Smethwick and I believe Pat's number was 310 not 311 as in 4 and I took over 104 when L.A. Fitch moved on in 1946.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Woolverstone Hall - WW II

Dame Marion Kettlewell DBE (1914 -2016) served as a WREN on HMS Woolverstone (stone frigate) in the months leading up to D-Day. This was during the period when Bigbobs (dummy landing craft} were being constructed beside the River Orwell and launched from Cat House hard as part of a massive deception plan known as Operation Quicksilver.

Her memories can be listened by following/pasting this link: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/80017176

For the sections on HMS Woolverstone you need to go to Reel 3: 20.00 to the end. Then reel 4: 0.00 - 2.43.

Above is from Woolverstone F.B. Group.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Woolverston hall

From the Facebook Group Woolverstone: Notes and Queries

With the 75th anniversary of the D-Day invasion fast approaching I thought it would be useful to offer a brief summary of Woolverstone Hall's role in WW2.

As a stone frigate, HMS Woolverstone had an auspicious part to play in the history of Woolverstone Hall, St Michael's Church and village during the Second World War.

After the Hall was sold to Oxford University in December 1937 it lay empty for over a year. It was commandeered by the government in 1939 for the war effort. Initially it housed troops. First there were the Beds and Herts followed by Liverpool Scottish, 2nd battalion in 1940. This was followed up by various groups of both the Royal Artillery and also Engineers regiments.

In October 1942 the concrete road from Main Road down to the river was constructed as well as the concrete hard and pier. Oil storage tanks were installed further up the hill. Also in 1942 staging was erected on the roof of the Hall for the Royal Observer Corps. (See photo). Incidentally, there had been an earlier ROC post in the field behind the Post Office on the Main Road since 1926.

HMS Woolverstone was commissioned by the Admiralty in 1943. The base was commissioned on 1/1/1943, care and maintenance from 9/7/43, re-commissioned on 15/10/43 and paid off on 20/2/46.

HMS Woolverstone was, among other things, a landing craft base and training establishment for Combined Operations. Not only were landing craft anchored here before going south and on to Normandy, but also it was part of the deception force assembled under the auspices of Operation Quicksilver where a fleet of dummy landing craft were assembled before being put out on the river to confuse the Nazis. Officers were housed in the Hall, other ranks in Nissen huts dotted around the grounds. Woolverstone church was used by the Navy for worship.

There were over 1000 personnel present at HMS Woolverstone during the “lock down” month preceding D-Day on 6th June 1944.

In one poignant account from WRNS officer, she described going to Woolverstone church on the morning of Sunday 4th June 1944 and on her return from the service she found the landing craft had slipped off down the Orwell on their way to Normandy.

On the morning of 4th June 30 fully loaded landing craft left the Cat House for the Normandy beaches. These had been loaded with troops and vehicles at Felixstowe on 2nd June and came up the river waiting for the signal to go which had been delayed by a day because of poor weather in the channel.

HMS Woolverstone continued to play a part in Operation Quicksilver and the construction of dummy landing craft after the Normandy landings.

From Simon Pearce.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Woolverstone hall

Good evening all, may I remind you that those who are interested in Woolverstone Hall of the Facebook Group - Woolverstone: Notes and Queries, at:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2044317292447243/

Perhaps of interest is this recent link posted there:
http://www.whs-archives.net/pics/school/diana/1.htm?fbclid=IwAR3P0EmO2F-CsWWwzw5YKx2OEz59ci5QSA_pfuZz3jlMIswG4bo5yT7ZKyc
Personally I don't remember much of the back of the Hall in the late 1940's let alone the statue altho I remember the Nissan huts and being in a classroom for many history lessons and receiving the black board duster many times as I was watching Thames Sailing Barges on the Orwell, one of which is in the link, rather than paying attention. Anyway there is plenty of interesting info within the group which is a Public one so can be followed by anyone. I will not be posting any further 'pointers.'

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ww ii & further back

From Woolverstone FB Group:

From Steve Williams:
"I am hoping that David Rye & Brian Ives might be interested in seeing these Woolverstone pages that feature the Obelisk recenty shown on these pages. They are in a book that was salvaged from a skip, hence the damp staining and crinkled pages, however, a very interesting book worthy of preservation. As can be seen from the title page it is the East Suffolk Illustrated book dated 1908 /9."

There are 35 wartime photos with explanation, part of explanation:
"I am a Stowmarket historian so I will not be able to contribute much to your site. However, I thought you and your members might be interested in seeing these photos from 1944."

A further 40 - "This is the last sequence of photos from the 'Exercise ATTACK' list from the George Wilden Collection. Are there any reckognisable features from 1944 still visible today?"

All at:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2044317292447243/2370006636544972/

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
The hall - post t.s.exmouth-l.n.t.s.?

This film may be of interest -
- Does anyone know the period it shows?

161 - 175 of 175 Posts