Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for anyone who worked in the docks or on the River Thames.

If anyone knows anyone,has photos or has worked there. Please post a reply here :D thanks

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
London Thames Workers (Karbine)

Hi Karbine. I worked for Tilbury Dredging Co, late 1950s. I was a decky on Danube4 tug. We took dummy hoppers from bucket dredgers in docks, to dumping grounds near the Tongue Lightship. Round trip 12 hours. Photo, colours fading with age. On the way out with hopper Bow creek in tow.
All the best. Barney.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
karbine said:
hard task there mate to find anyone working in that area

·
Registered
532 Posts
I done a lot of dredging work on the Thames, Salvaged a German wreck just below Tilbury, dredged West India docks, dredged Surrey Commercial Docks, some creeks up river of and just below Tower bridge,dredged Barking Creek, raised a sunken flat top barge by Cutty Sark at Greenwich. Dug up WW2 unexploded bombs, AA shells, and all kinds of other stuff.

Got plenty of pictures around somewhere.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Hi Oldbosun. What type dredgers were you on. I suppose you worked Bucket and suction dredgers. On the Thames i just worked on the tugs, towing the hoppers to the Barrow Deep, If my memory is right, up by Tongue Lightship. I worked on most type of M.D.& H.B vessels on river Mersey early 50s.: bucket dredger, Hoppers, floating crane. tug. Longest time 14months on big suction dredgers in river and Queens channel. SPD Hoyle and SPD Leviathan.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I spent 17years in the Port of London as a Cargo Superintendent, mainly in Tilbury but also in the Millwall & on river berths such as Bevan's wharf (cement), Swanscombe bouys & Purfleet Deep Wharf.Although they took a lot of stick the dockers in those days of piecework achieved some remarkable tonnages & were a great bunch of blokes, in general, to work with, with a great sense of humour.

Wilco

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I spent five days trying to deliver twenty tons of paper at Tilbury dock around 1970. Arrive at dock 0600 join queue o lorrys. Book in when office opened. About 1130 Checker would come round, count so many vehicles to stay, and signe your notes and tell you to come back tomorrow. This used to happen every day. About 1530 checker would come again, count the vehicles, keep so many to last untill 1900. There over time and send the rest away. They would usually be finnished by 1830 and go home. They would unload nearly as many vehicles in there over time as they did all day. I was in and out of docks all over the courntry, i never saw a docker do a hard or full days work. The dockers down the ships holds worked hard, they where about the only ones. Liverpool. London and Tilbury were the worst. Felixstow dockers could do more in three days than the other three would do in a week. Barney.

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Pleasure boats

karbine said:
Nice one (Applause)

Any of you work on the tugs or pleasure boats at all?
Worked on the "crested eagle" ex "royal lady when she was on charter to p&a campbel at nbew haven. took her back to St catherins at the end of charter.
(Thumb)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Karbine, look at your first anouncement when you opend this thread, 30th oct, along that line on the right you will see a one. Go down one to 8th feb. click thumb nail
Barney.

·
Registered
10 Posts
karbine said:

If anyone knows anyone,has photos or has worked there. Please post a reply here :D thanks
Hi Karbine. Iwas on the mv Claycarrier & her relief vessel ClayTransporter for about a year before going deep sea in1957 Great days.Owned by APCM their names indicate their work. 24 hours on 48 off.If anyone can lead me to a photo & info on their demise I would be grateful.Still view the river daily from Gravesend.Joe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Karbine,

I worked with George Taylor on Sydney Ferries and he used to work on the Thames, Barges I think. He retired a couple of years ago and is now living in Perth, WA.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Worked as skipper upper river above teddington for Thames River Cruises
Pipers Island Caversham,Caversham Princess,Duchess of Ely,Cavesham Lady
have images ect if you require them
Charles Compass

1 - 20 of 44 Posts