Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or does anyone else have the issue where, if a member uploads a photo with a very long file name, no thumbnail is displayed. All that shows is the long file name itself. An example is shown here, but I'm not singling out member 'threebs' (in fact I think his thumbnails usually show OK) but there are a few members whose thumbnails never show for this reason.

When I visit SN, the first thing I do is look at the new photos and comments, I skim through the thumbnails looking for anything that catches my eye. I don't really have the time to click on each long file name, just in case it's something interesting, so I'm afraid I just ignore them. Perhaps that's my loss, as there could be something interesting hidden behind the letters.

I've not come across this issue on other boards that use the same board software, so I'm wondering if it's something that Admins can adjust in their control settings.

In the meantime, if this is affecting other members, would it be wrong of me to respectfully ask members to think about using shorter file names - everything after '1912' could be left out in this example.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Yes, I agree. It is very bothersome not to see a thumbnail. I was thinking of raising this issue myself.
Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
This was raised a while ago in relation to some of the great photos posted by foodsvcmgr. Can't recall exactly where.
My recollection is that foodsvcmgr was also concerned about the lack of thumbnails but it appeared at the time that there may be more to it than the length of the file name.
Perhaps this is something that the techs behind SN could clarify?
Geoff (YM)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts