Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1969 there was a collision in the Thames estuary and I took the photograph of this ship when she was berthed in Tilbury docks. Somewhere I have a foto of the damage to the other vessel but haven't found it yet.

Can anyone remember the incident and the name of the two vessels?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
i do believe she is an ex trader boat but i cant remember wich one, at the time of her collision she was called HOMER under the greek flag she came to smiths docks north shields according to my notes wich i have for every ship at smiths for repair from september 1963 to may 1972, when she arrived her windlass was on the tank top of No 1 hold, we had to hire a proffesional blaster to get the cement out of her fore end before we could start the steelwork repairs, the date i have for her arrival was 13/12/1969, hope this is a help for you.
PS i may put the info of all ships between dates above on the site when i find time.

cheers tom (*))

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom,

thank you the name HOMER comes back to mind. The collision was in fog in the thames estuary and the other vessel had a large hole in her hull, but did not sink.

The Homer was the ex MIDDLESEX TRADER renamed the year of the incident.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tom,

As said Homer rang a bell. I have been going through my photo's and came across two of the ELISA F with comments that she had been hit by the HOMER, this is one, I will post the other on the Gallery.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry

The attachment failed due to the silly constraints of the system will allow 800 by 600 but not 600 by 800 (Ouch)

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts