Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for old ship mates.

Radio officer Charlie McNeilly. Sailed aboard the MV Selkirk Settler & MV Saskatchewan Pioneer 1989 & 1990. Lived(s) in Clarksfield, Oldham, Lancs.

ECO Dennis Allen. Sailed aboard the MV Saskatchewan Pioneer 1990. Lived(s) in Branxton, Cornhill on Tweed, Northumberland.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not a sparks, but....

Hi captainrodaway,

Long shot, but I was just browsing my discharge books and remembered I sailed (as 2nd Mate) with a Capt Rodaway on World Premier in 1980, any relation?

regards
DerekC

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not aware of any relation. But now you have me interested. My father has been active for the last couple years putting together the family tree. What was Capt Rodaway's first name. Was he British? Do you have any other info about him?

Cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry for delay, couldn't find the thread again.

I do not remember his first name but was British, I am pretty sure. That's all I got.

regards
DerekC

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Lurch
Don't know if Charlie will be thrilled to be called a British sparks as he like many of his ilk were "Marconi" men from Ireland.
If you do get in touch I would like to hear from him as he saved our buns a few times when we changed over to I.O.M. and had Indian officers and P.R.C. crew

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
lakercapt said:
Lurch
Don't know if Charlie will be thrilled to be called a British sparks as he like many of his ilk were "Marconi" men from Ireland.
If you do get in touch I would like to hear from him as he saved our buns a few times when we changed over to I.O.M. and had Indian officers and P.R.C. crew
It's true, after Guinness, for many years Ireland's biggest export was Sparkies. Don't know why, but, with the onslaught of GMDSS, they all returned and turned Ireland into the European Tiger that it is today!

John T.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Charlie Macneilly

Charlie sailed with Cable and Wireless untill 1996 then he disappeared but I did hear of him somewhere off the African coast on a tanker? or some such vessel. I do have a contact but it is at home at the moment, will post it in the next few days.

I do not think he is living in Lancashire, his wife left him in about 94.

Best regards

Dave Woods

·
Registered
592 Posts
Charlie

Arrived home and found the info regarding Charlie, mind you this is at least 6 years old. He moved back to Ireland and was living with his sister in Newton Ards. At the time he was sailing with Stoltcomexseaway.

Best regards

Dave Woods

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave-

Thanks for the info.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking for Bob Dickson

I'm hoping to track down Bob Dickson - a sparkie with Denholm and Texaco Italy for a while. I sailed with him on the Loch Maree for 7 months, but lost contact when I think he married an Italian girl and went off to to the island of Procida in the Bay of Naples - a long way from Wishaw!

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Welcome broadbandylegs to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer, unusual name to say the least, not on your birth certificate by any chance.?

·
Registered
5 Posts
R58484956 said:
Welcome broadbandylegs to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer, unusual name to say the least, not on your birth certificate by any chance.?
You're correct - much the same as you own, I would guess? Good site by the way...

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Welcome

broadbandylegs,
......and a warm welcome to the site from me too! I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Marconi Sparky's

Anyone know how to track down ex Marconi radio officers who worked on Shaw Savill ships late sixties and into seventies? Some of my best mates were sparkys on the passenger ships of Shaw Savill - but have lost contact with all of them - anyone able to help?

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Marconi Sparky's

brandane said:
Anyone know how to track down ex Marconi radio officers who worked on Shaw Savill ships late sixties and into seventies? Some of my best mates were sparkys on the passenger ships of Shaw Savill - but have lost contact with all of them - anyone able to help?
Brandane,
I don't believe that there will be any simple way. During the late 1980s Marconi Marine's corporate reporting line was tranferred, from reporting directly to Arnold Weinstock to reporting via Marconi Communications Systems Ltd (MCSL). A small change in corporate terms but it had a massive effect on Marconi Marine, which no longer had total control over the way in which it ran its business, especially where investment and non-profit activities were concerned.

To save relatively small amounts of money the Chelmsford office was moved to a much smaller area within a MCSL site and the personnel department (responsible for the running of the R/O side of the business) was cut and absorbed into MCSL's larger, existing, personnel office. The records of the R/Os (and the ships to which they had been posted) dating back to 1899, were similarly transferred. MCSL management did not understand the R/O business and did not see these activities as part of MCSL's "core business". They were only interested in stripping out as much profit as possible from what they saw as a dying business. During a later accommodation reorganisation, the R/O records were just dumped in skips since they were judged unnecessary for the future activities of the company.

Efforts to try to get the records preserved and subsequent appeals to the Company Archivist and the Essex county Record Office failed to get any support and it all went to landfill or recycling.

Even the company's collection of early and historic equipment used by Marconi himself was refused by the Essex Museum and was due to be split up and sold off to the highest bidders at auction last year. Eventually it was purchased by a museum in Oxford. A few items are retained at a local industrial museum (Sandford Mill) but it is astonishing to think that the UK completely ignored the amazing rise of an industry that has changed the world so massively in the past century.

Ron

·
Registered
251 Posts
Marconi R/Os

Ron Stringer's posting about the mechanics of the decline of the Marconi International Marine Communication Company (MIMCo) and the cavalier manner in which, not only a company but the whole intiation, development, proud contribution and then the subsequent demise of an international, nautical profession was allowed to disappear is as remarkable as it is tragic.

Can nothing be done about salvaging what records that may still exist?? Is this a job for the ROAss or is it something that SHOULD have been done by the Radio Officers' Union, to which most of us subscribed during our time at sea and which did very little for any of us?

I'd really be interested in comments from former R/Os who are Members of SN - no matter in which decade you may have served!

Kind regards to all, Doug H

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Doug H,
I quite agree with your sentiments regarding the ROU.I worked for Marconi Marine during the 60`s, and my personal opinion is that they were a union in name only, wanting only your subs, and little else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ron Stringer's posting about the mechanics of the decline of the Marconi International Marine Communication Company (MIMCo) and the cavalier manner in which, not only a company but the whole intiation, development, proud contribution and then the subsequent demise of an international, nautical profession was allowed to disappear is as remarkable as it is tragic.

Can nothing be done about salvaging what records that may still exist?? Is this a job for the ROAss or is it something that SHOULD have been done by the Radio Officers' Union, to which most of us subscribed during our time at sea and which did very little for any of us?

I'd really be interested in comments from former R/Os who are Members of SN - no matter in which decade you may have served!

Kind regards to all, Doug H
Hello Doug H,
Yep, a sad decline of the R/O, wiped off the face of shipping, . . . but not quite. Check out the Radio Officers Association www. roass.org, they have a quarterly newsletter and archive resources of the profession which is growing all the time.
Tom

·
Registered
52 Posts
Anyone out there remember a John McGinnley? I sailed with him on the Sir Alexander Glen when with Denholms but lost track of him afetr that. All I remember is he lived somewhere in Wales at the time (1978)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ahyes , the good old days of the Marconi R/O, if you didnt buy the Staff Clerk
at West Ham a beer at lunchtime you could bet on getting a Bank boat, if you couldnt quote your Paybook number you didnt get paid and who could forget the Depot Manager at Liverpool who called you into the office using MORSE!!!. I remember one R/O taking a fire axe to the cable!! The only way I got some leave after 5 years on the Indian Coast with BI was asking for three sheets of paper, the triplicate required to resign from the Company11
73's Ern Barrett

1 - 20 of 40 Posts