Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Yes, that was a beautiful and, was it not, a working model to practice slinging, union purchase rig etc? I know that there was also a larger scale derrick model for the Nav Cadets to play with. All we had in Odyssey Works was a Stal-Laval model of a turbine set. It was motorized though!
Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, that was a beautiful and, was it not, a working model to practice slinging, union purchase rig etc? I know that there was also a larger scale derrick model for the Nav Cadets to play with. All we had in Odyssey Works was a Stal-Laval model of a turbine set. It was motorized though!
Rgds.
Dave
Hello Dave,
As far as I can remember the model at "Aulis" was not a working model. The model at odyssey works was the working model to demonstrate the stulken derrick on the Super "P" s and the union purchase derricks on the older ships. I was a Navigation Cadet from 1971 to 1974 and stayed on till 1977. I sailed on the Newer Bulk Carrier "Hector" and my last Blue Funnel Vessel was the "Ras Lanuf" the Libiyan Tanker which was under Blu Flu management where I served as the 2nd Mate.
Rgds
Felix

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Thx, Felix.

I was not aware that the working models were at Oddy. I had always thought that they were at Aulis, structured as it was for Midshipmen. I was only at Aulis for a couple of months (1980) until they moved us EngCadets over to Iliad House.

My first trip was Phrontis, ex Pembrokeshire, a Super P, from 26/12/81 to end of February '82 when she was sold. I remember the 2/E asking me if I was any good at turning - It was the bearing housing of the Stulken to fit a new bearing. The job was a "Good Un"!

After that, I served exclusively on Barber Blue Sea, the M's and RoRo's. Then the chop!

Rgds.
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts