Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just joined this forum and hope to contact any officers who sailed with Ellerman Lines.
I joined as writer in 1960 and left as Purser in 1983.
If you look up my profile you will see I served on many "City" boats over the years.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have just joined this forum and hope to contact any officers who sailed with Ellerman Lines.
If you look up my profile you will see I served on many "City" boats over the years.
Iain....I sailed with you on the Guildford and with your brother on one of the "big four"

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi
sailed with Ellerman lines 1966 to1968,ships were London, Liverpool, Hereford and Chester then moved on to BP. tankers.
Bluto.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ellerman lines

my first ship the lichfield ( city of) 1974 ..... did'nt know the pointy end fron the back end that was a junior r/o.... next ship was al solabiah KSC... straight into it and never looked back ha ha(*))

·
Registered
5 Posts
I remember you. You will see the ships I was on and I sailed with you on the City of Durban. Back then I was the Writer.

Retired Senior Purser/Catering Officer - Ellerman Lines - Atlantic Steam Navigation - Townsend Thoresen Ferries - P & O European Ferries.

My Sea Life with Ellerman Lines started back in 1966. I joined my first ship in Glasgow. The "City of Oxford" in Barclay Curles Dry Dock as a ships Writer and worked my way to Purser/Catering Officer. The following are the names and dates of the ships I served on:-

City of Oxford Jan 66 - Apr 66
City of Durban Apr 66 - Sep 66
City of Liverpool (Old) Sep 66 - Jan 67
City of Johannesburg Feb 67 - Sep 67
City of Oxford Oct 67 - May 68
City of Exeter Aug 68 - Feb 69
City of Johannesburg Mar 69 - Nov 69
City of Cape Town Nov 69 - Dec 69
City of Durban Jan 70 - Feb 71
City of York Mar 71 - Jul 71 (Last Voyage)
City of London (New) Sep 71 - Sep 71
City of Liverpool (New) Sep 71 - Oct 71
City of Adelaide Nov 71 - May 73
(Re-named to the "Cap Cleveland" - May 1972 for Charter)
City of Lancaster Aug 73 - Oct 74 (Promoted to Purser)
City of Canberra Dec 75 - Dec 75
City of Wellington Mar 75 - Mar 76
City of Ripon Sep 76 - Oct 76
City of St Albans Nov 76 - Feb 77
City of Montreal May 77 - Jun 77
City of Canberra Jul 77 - Jul 77

The "City of Canberra was my last ship with Ellerman Lines. This was the year I joined "Atlantic Steam Navigation - Townsend Thoresen Car Ferries". I enjoyed my life with Ellermans and I retired from P & O European Ferries and my sea career as a Senior Purser/Catering Officer back in October 1990. Anybody who remembers me I would be very pleased to hear from you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My father is (charles) kerr steele
He was a purser/chief purser on city liners Inc the durban, Canterbury and others
Served from 60 ish to early 80s

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was cadet and 3rd Mate with Ellermans, 1971 to 1977. Sailed on the Dundee, Liverpool, St Albans, Guildford (coast), Delhi, Athenian, Sorrento, Singapore, Ripon, Montreal. Then moved on to pastures new with Bank Line, Ropners and Safmarine before working offshore; mainly dive support vessels

·
Registered
3 Posts
Charles Kerr Steele

He was a purser/chief purser on city liners Inc the durban, Canterbury and others
I remember serving with your father on the City of Durban as the Assistant Purser for a few trips. Your mum was also on board for some of the time (I think you also were on board?). I stay in Dumbarton and even came to your house in Mount Florida? in Glasgow. If I remember rightly, your dad came ashore and got a job at Glasgow University Student Halls of Residence in Partick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, Steven I joined Ellerman as a writer in the late sixties and Kerr was my boss, thinking City of Montreal but not sure - always remembered him as a good boss and very genuine person - Jon Denman

1 - 14 of 14 Posts