Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,620 Posts
Not many photos around showing the ships in the 'Fugasy' livery. Spelling? Name of the charterer I believe. Peter K. would have more. Still better than what we see around on modern cruise ships!
Water Boat Sky Vehicle Naval architecture

Another view. Here is INDEPENDENCE with OCEANIC.

Water Boat Vehicle Cloud Naval architecture

Here is INDEPENDENCE in a press photo with Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

Water Boat Vehicle Naval architecture Watercraft

·
Premium Member
12,620 Posts
The 'charterer' or 'operator' was Fugazy Travel (correct spelling).
A couple of photos seem to show that the colours of the 'sunburst' where changed 'slightly'. The 'eyes' were those or Jean Harlowe. Or so the story goes.

Water Boat Naval architecture Sky Watercraft

·
Premium Member
12,620 Posts
Though still an improvement on a modern cruise ship....the sun pattern reminds me of " dazzle" camouflage.
The last thing her lines should be is hidden

So true. The ship was a white blank canvas. The modern monsters are so ugly with the verandahs. Anything else added on the hull makes it even worse.

The 'dazzle', yes is like that done on ROYAL IRIS (if I am thinking the right ferry).

·
Premium Member
12,620 Posts
Wow
Some gash!!!!!

Hope no-one was in the brig.

:)
Worse, at the time if the collision the mate was in the bridge W.C.!!!!

Thinking... There were quite of passenger ship collisions in New York Harbour. Even QUEEN ELIZABETH had a fight with a smaller vessel.

I wonder if you remember the container ship SEA WITCH? 1971 or '72? Tanker and the SEA WITCH. One at anchor in the harbour and had a collision. The SEA WITCH was completely burnt.

Stephen

·
Premium Member
12,620 Posts
The memory is foggy. I think I'll send a new thread. This was Summer 1973. Were you on the Cunard ship... QE2 about that time? I arrived NY in ASIAFREIGHTER '74. I remember the pilot telling me, "That is where the SEA WITCH collided."

Anyhow, I'll send the link to SEA WITCH story,

First a couple of photos:

Water Atmosphere Sky Rectangle Electricity

Water Atmosphere Sky Body of water Dusk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts