Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone will be able to help me. I am looking for general arrangement plans for rms caronia of 1947. I am looking for general arrangement plans and maybe even engine plans as well. thanks in advance.
Water Cloud Sky Boat Naval architecture

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Bryan,

Nice pieces, I like the 'funnel' cutaway. The 'rock' in the distance is probably Ailsa Craig. The artist that did these pieces was George Horace Davis c. 1883 to 1965 )approx Stunning works.

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
this b& w image must be the same year - this time in capetown - the pain View attachment 693472 View attachment 693473
ting by stephen has to be a favorite for me

Bryan, This painting was done for QE2. Everyone knows CARONIA was the 'Green Goddess'. The other ship in the painting (far left) is GOTHIC. She was the Royal Yacht. Shaw Savill had a Royal Yacht. Cunard never did. :)
Stephen

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello Folks,

The reason that information like GA drawings for RMS Caronia is scarce is because it will be highly unlikely that they are accurate. This is particularly true with regard to the boiler room!

The reason for this is because a fair bit of the delay in fitting-out the ship was down to metal shortages. It was bad enough trying to secure all the rare woods, though with the process attached to creating veneers being over several years, WWII would only have been an interruption. There wasn't much call during hostilities.

However, brass, copper and other metals used in boiler construction were very much in short supply. I have never been able to find a definitive source for this statement, hence its absence on the Caronia Timeline, but it seems that the Cunard Board were putting heavy pressure upon John Brown's to finish the ship with the result that there were more than a few (non-specific / unrecorded) compromises made in the engine room to accommodate this.

Certainly, all the feedback I've received from former Caronia engineers seems to confirm that there were aspects of her boiler room that needed some gentle care to maintain. For example, was the replacement of a 50 ton gear wheel just 10 years into a ship's life, a common or rare occurrence?

Regards,
Steve (Peter S.)
Caronia Timeline Webmaster

·
Registered
50 Posts
That makes sense. Completion of MEDIA and PARTHIA was badly delayed by material shortages... indeed, MEDIA left the Clyde with all of her accommodation doors stacked in the passageways as there were no hinges or doorknobs available. It was not until just before her maiden voyage that the hardware was finally obtained and the doors were fitted literally just before sailing time. PARTHIA, supposed to have been completed by July 1947, was not delivered until April 1948 owing to shortages of critical machined parts and fittings. It was said these ships, so unusual for Cunarders, were built simply because that was all the steel that was released for Cunard at the time.

But surely The Shipbuilder or Shipbuilding & Shipping Record published plans for CARONIA... again, the pity is that nothing post 1928 is available on line owing to copyright issues... Haithi Trust has a complete run of these magazines but it will be 20 years until we'll be able to access 1948 material on line unless changes to copyright laws are made.

Peter Kohler

1 - 13 of 13 Posts