Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks for that 1 Kev forgot bout her Remember Faraday,Cavindish,Humboldt
Did 2 trips on Faraday you got pic of her?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glen

I have got a picture of the Faraday. Also the Cavendish and the Humbolt. Also 2 other pics - the Joule and the Clerk Maxwell. Will post them now.

Kev

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone have any more pictures of the Kelvin, or other Houlders gas tankers?

Does anyone know what became of the Lord Kelvin?

Kev

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does anyone remember "Avogadro" n.r.t. 525 tons L.P.G.tanker managed by Houlder Bros. for Gazocean. Sailed as 2nd Mate/1st Mate from Marchto July `65 before joiningL.P.G.Carrier "Joule"

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not heard of the Avogadro, but the Joule stand high in my memory.

Any pics of either of these 2 vessels?

Kev

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry Kev no pics of Avogadro,all I know she was bought from Italian owners.I have a pic of the Joule but no means of posting. Sorry cannot be more helpful

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Norsea

Thats a shame, would like to see an image of the Joule again. I thought I had a shot, but just cannot find it anywhere.

My biggest memory of the Joule was the compressor house. Boy did your eyes water in there when she was loaded with Amonia!!!!!

Kev

·
Banned
2 Posts
The Lord Kelvin Became "Helios" in 1987, "Herdis" in 1991, and "Jag Vayu" in 1997. She still sails as the "Jag Veyu" for Great Eastern Shipping of India

·
Banned
48 Posts
Joule

The name “Joule” was used three times. The first Joule was built 1964 and sold in 1970 and re-named Giambattista Venturi and broken up in 1983 – the second Joule was built in 1965 as the Havgas, and acquired by Houlders in 1973, she was broken up in 1984, the third Joule was built 1972, and acquired by Houlders in 1989 – she was the ex Lancashire (ex Leiv Eriksson)

·
Banned
48 Posts
kev said:
cheers for that, the one I willknow will be the ex Havgas.

Kev
That Joule had the distinction of leaking.... she leaked salt water into the ballast tanks and then doubled the effect by leaking, in a more exciting fashion, from the ballast tanks into the containment space - a wholly more interesting idea as there was no (quick) means of getting the water out and it was a race to see if we could get the salvage pump in and working before the cargo tank gently floated off its chocks.

As for the interface of warm sea water touching one side of the steel tank and -32 degrees on the other side..... (*))

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ah the joule, music to my ears.I need to find a picture of this ship, so if anyone has one can they please post or send me a copy that I can put up on line.I had a very happy memory of the front of the housing being painted purple by two AB's while they were stoned in bremen in 1982.Fun times indeed!

·
Banned
48 Posts
norsea said:
Does anyone remember "Avogadro" n.r.t. 525 tons L.P.G.tanker managed by Houlder Bros. for Gazocean. Sailed as 2nd Mate/1st Mate from Marchto July `65 before joiningL.P.G.Carrier "Joule"
Norsea,

Avogadro was the very first gas ship that Houlders bought - she was of course pressure ship, and frankly her main task was to train the sea-staff in the workings of Gas Tankers before the fleet of larger ships came into being with Ocean Gas Transport - the joint venture between Houlders and Gazocean. she was purchased second-hand in 1964 when the LPG trade was in its infancy; she was sold in 1970 and re-named Caribgaz. In 1971 she became LSCO Anzac and suffered an explosion in 1973 and was lost.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
wsumg04 said:
Ah the joule, music to my ears.I need to find a picture of this ship, so if anyone has one can they please post or send me a copy that I can put up on line.I had a very happy memory of the front of the housing being painted purple by two AB's while they were stoned in bremen in 1982.Fun times indeed!
the attached link is to the 1972 built Joule, pictured March 89,so it seems likely to be the one you seek?
http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=68338

·
Banned
48 Posts
john shaw said:
the attached link is to the 1972 built Joule, pictured March 89,so it seems likely to be the one you seek?
http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=68338
John,

Close but not the one unfortunately - this is the third Joule built 1972, and acquired by Houlders in 1989 – she was the ex Lancashire (ex Leiv Eriksson) – the Joule that would have been in Bremen in 1982 would be the second one, built in 1965 as the Havgas, and acquired by Houlders in 1973, broken up in 1984 two years after her infamous call at Bremen.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts