Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Anyone read 'Ghost Force' by Patrick Robinson. Excellent book.
The Argies are convinced to invade the Falklands by Russia.
Of course the Russians knew that the RN was far too underpowered to retaliate compared with 1982, and wouldn't be able to take them back.
I get the feeling that if Argentina did decide to invade the Falklands(touch wood they don't of course), the situation would be very much the same!
Our fleet is far too small for the most prominent ISLAND nation in the world. Tony and his gang have completely screwed up our armed forces, and I can't forgive them for that.
I couldn't have put it better myself. I'm with you 100% on this one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone read 'Ghost Force' by Patrick Robinson. Excellent book.
The Argies are convinced to invade the Falklands by Russia.
Of course the Russians knew that the RN was far too underpowered to retaliate compared with 1982, and wouldn't be able to take them back.
I get the feeling that if Argentina did decide to invade the Falklands(touch wood they don't of course), the situation would be very much the same!
Our fleet is far too small for the most prominent ISLAND nation in the world. Tony and his gang have completely screwed up our armed forces, and I can't forgive them for that.

I totally agree with this.

But I also believe that when Tone and his mates came to power it was on the agenda to completely wreck all the Armed Services and by God they have achieved it. (MAD)

Our Navy now is smaller than the Home Fleet we had when I was in.

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
The most usefull thing the Canadian Navy could do is to built a super ice breaker or two to protect the interests in the North West Passage that is again being eyed by our friendley neighbours south of the borderand others such as China
Two heavily armed "super Ice Breakers " will be of immense use as Global warming continues and the NW passage becomes a viable commertial route . Canada should control it and benfit from it .
LNG from the Artic will be in great demand going forward .
The Navy vessels I would envision as being gas turbines burning LNG or steam plant using nuclear fuel and would need about 120,000 HP.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Where is the Royal Navy going?
Oppinions gentleman.

Mike.
Ahoy Mike, liked your remarks in this post. You ask where have the Brave Class of gunboats disappeared to. I'm not familiar with this vessel type, but why bother with them when there are the perfect Vessels built for the North Sea and surrounding coasts. I refer of course to the AHTS vessels. Using that hull type, get rid of bow thrusters, anchor winches, and "P" tank room; build an accommodation block on the back deck with a readymade helicopter deck, could even put a hanger up there too. Plenty of stability for this addon construction. The old"P" tank rm can become lower half tankage and the upper section accommodation. The back deck accommodation, could handle a squad of marines, customs officers, draught guinness handlers, etal. The chopper deck could handle a Cobra gunship if you want to get really serious about aggressive defence. The real back, back deck could have a few rigid inflatables stowed for stern launching. Removing the propeller guards and all the towing bits and pieces would give quite a good turn of speed, particularly in some of the rough weather experienced up that way. Of course the Andrew do require a few more crew than our dear old crowd used to manage with but build the boat bigger.
Will you accept my opinion?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Lets face it, Blair has to take all of the blame for the destruction of the RN, and ultimately the slow disintegration of our Armed Forces over the last few years.
He was the one who blathered on about WMDs in Iraq, and he was the one who decided to go in all guns blazing with Bush, completely oblivious to the fact that all america wanted was the oil, and was basically a puppet for the Bush administration.
He has, and will continue to throw away billions of our defence budget on fighting a war which should never have begun, getting hundreds of our men and women killed in the process for absolutely no reason, or result.
That money should have been spent renewing our RN ships, Air Force's aircraft, and equipment for our Army.
No matter what he says, Blair is the one to blame for this debacle that the country finds itself in today.
He has, does, and will continue to lie to the faces of the very people who voted him into office in the first place.
In no way am I saying that the other parties in the UK are any better, but Blair has been one of the worst leaders this country has ever had.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts