Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I served on HMS Alert in her early days.We used to patrol Lough Strangford, the Tons doing Carlingford Lough. We decided to put the Mushroom funnel badges on, much to Their Lordships displeasure. Once I went back to the Tons and those horrors, the"Bird" class I really missed Alert.Still used to see her a lot as 50% of my naval career was on Operation Granada , the rest being in the FPS

·
Registered
39 Posts
Its a close call whether Glasserton or Highburton was the last in RN from the Ton class.The actual last open bridge vessels were the "Bird" class patrol vessels. In 1980 as a List 3 RNR I was still boarding vessels in Operation Grenada.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Very interesting, lads.
I was on the Cygnet April 1983 - August 1984 doing much the same, except from Lough Foyle in the north down to Carlingford Lough in the south. There are a few photos from around Carlingford in my gallery, from that period.
You`re right about the 'Bird' class being pretty poor sea-keepers as well!

regards, Donald

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Its a close call whether Glasserton or Highburton was the last in RN from the Ton class.The actual last open bridge vessels were the "Bird" class patrol vessels. In 1980 as a List 3 RNR I was still boarding vessels in Operation Grenada.

I take it you mean last of the open bridge Tons? The Tons with closed bridges were certainly still around after Glasserton was towed away.

McC

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
LochinvarLad, (good old Lochinvar, one of the best drafts ever. Was on the Thornham at the time).
A few ways to do it, but if you click on my name at the top left of post, then click members profile. Under Forum Info select Gallery/find all photos by donald h.
regards, Donald

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alert 78

I served on HMS Alert 77 to 78 and she and the Vigilant did 10 days on 10 days off patrols of Carlingford Lock NI (Newry was at the landward end) there was a container and RORO ferry port on the South and North sides. We did the 10 days on with 2 Royal Marine rigid raiders and I think 8 Marines whom we collected from Moscow Camp Belfast and who searched the container ships.
It says on my Certificate of Service the Alert and in brackets Cochrane which according to the heading means Tender and Parent Ship. Both where painted Pussers Grey and flew the white Ensign and had an all RN Crew we actually used the words "This is the Warship Alert" when hailing huge container ships etc to stand too and be boarded.
The Draft was an easy one as when we where alongside in ,Gourock in the Clyde estuary, we stayed in a hotel in Greenock all funded by MOD.
We also sailed her along the Caladonian Canal to Rosyth for a re-fit, emptying the POs mess barrel after finishing off the mess tinnies , the idea being it would be less to unload when we got there(LOL).
Hi Shippers, I was on Alert during that period including the trip through the Caledonian Canal. I was the Greenie onboard, Jess James.

·
Registered
2 Posts
loyal class

Hi, I was on on Vigilant in 74/75 before she was given that name. The Loyal Factor was commissioned as HMS A382 after her pendant number. Loyal Governer was HMS A510, both under the white ensign. The cap tallies we wore were simply HMS with no name It was funny calling up ships or Portishead Radio with Warship A382. In1974 we the crew were asked to give formal names to the ships and Vigilant was chosen for A382 and Alert for A510.
Our home base was The Perch in Greenock and our Mothership was the Maidstone in Belfast. The patrol area was indeed Carlingford Lough and sometimes after a patrol we would go for a knees-up in the IOM rather than go to Greenock or "mother".
We also did the Caledonion Canal transit for refit in Rosyth. I was the engine room rating on board and I spent the best year of my naval service on A382.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, Dave. Those were different days. We used to go to IOM until I decided we would go to Port Ellen in Islay. Much better in the winter. When I was drafted to Alert I got off the train at Gourock. No sign of a warship so I picked up the shuttle to Faslane and marched up to OPs. Where's my boat demands I. Gourock, go back, the tide is in now. Sure enough I go back and she had risen above the perch and I saw the mushroom funnel.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts