Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luminetta, 25,000 tonnes built 1972 by Eriksberg in Sweden. One of Moss Tankers, a fleet managed by Cunard-Brocklebank. Spent some years on the South African coast in the late '80s until sold.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lustrous and Luminous built 1968 along with Brocklebank cargo ships Maihar and Mahsud.

Lumen, Luminetta and Lumiere call signs GPAL GPAM and GPAN built 1972.

One or more actually built in adjacent Lindholms shipyard. I can't remember which.

Lustrous, Luminous and Lumen sold off together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,718 Posts
I put the pic of LUMINOUS as AL KHAFJI ,Genoa sept.1983Porto Petroli Multedo) .in the same time LUSTROUS was AL HOFUF and LUMEN was AL DAMMAN I all under SI flag.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Hi,
Well, Luminetta was a Lindholmens build, and a 'twin' of BP's 'River' class hull design [British Dart etc.].
Diff. was in propulsion.
BP specc'd Sulzer.
Moss had twin medium speed Pielsticks driving thru. a Lindholmens box [with shaft alternators] to single shaft and KaMeWa cp. prop..
Worked by as 2nd. trip Eng. sprog during final build then ran out with her on maiden charter which was Chile coast
;- load products @ Punta Arenas [?], run north delivering, then back-load light Bolivian crude and return to P.A.
Cap'n. [came from Buckie, Banf.]. edit; [[Ah, yes! Walter Flett]]
C/E. Dave Meek
2/E. Tom Bampton
4/E. Peter Leckie
Cadet Steve Griffiths
Cadet "splinter" or "dipstick"
Eng. Cadet Me
Lecky. Cliff Humphries.

My previous trip [1st.] was Luminous.
Next [3rd.] Lumiere.
Next Cunard Calamanda.
Then Port Launceston.
Back to Luminous.
Reprieved from tankerland and on to the Port New Plymouth.
Recaptured and sentenced to Lumiere.
Saw the light, resigned, went 'coasting' with James Fisher [8wks. on 4wks off].
J. F then dangled the N. Sea carrot [4wks. on 4wks. off] and a big lift in pay.

rgds.,

baffled
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I joined Luminetta in December 1972, with Tommy Bampton rejoining, and Captain Dave Wolfenden. Dave Meek was back as chief with Mike Grainger doing survey work. The Bolivian Light crude was loaded in Arica and discharged in Quintero, the crude port for Valparaiso. First load was San Vicente (Conception refinery) followed by a part discharge and back load at Vina del Mar (Valparaiso offshore).

Discharge ports were some or most of Barquito, Caldera, Guacolda, Guayacan, Antofagasta, Tocopilla, Iquique and Arica. Some of these port names were not the names on the charts, (Coquimbo, Huasco and Channeras des Animas on the charts I think) and I'm struggling to match up the names I remember with what I can find on Google. Occassionally we went south to Peurto Monte, there was talk of the ship going to Punta Arenas but I don't know if she ever did. Eight ports a fortnight and sometimes leave one port in the morning, discharge at a second, then arrive at third on the same day. Not bad for a 25,000 ton product carrier.

Someone had sent back to head office that uniform blues were not needed on the coast. After an hour on the focsle going into Peurto Monte I was glad of them. Then Conception refinery failed and we went round to Buenos Aires for a full cargo of diesel.

The old man from Buckie was Wally Flett, somewhat of an eccentric. Didn't sail with him til the '80s. The locals remembered him as El Loco from his second mate days in PSNC?.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
baffled said:
Hi,
Well, Luminetta was a Lindholmens build, and a 'twin' of BP's 'River' class hull design [British Dart etc.].
Diff. was in propulsion.
BP specc'd Sulzer.
Moss had twin medium speed Pielsticks driving thru. a Lindholmens box [with shaft alternators] to single shaft and KaMeWa cp. prop..
Worked by as 2nd. trip Eng. sprog during final build then ran out with her on maiden charter which was Chile coast
;- load products @ Punta Arenas [?], run north delivering, then back-load light Bolivian crude and return to P.A.
Cap'n. [came from Buckie, Banf.]. edit; [[Ah, yes! Walter Flett]]
C/E. Dave Meek
2/E. Tom Bampton
4/E. Peter Leckie
Cadet Steve Griffiths
Cadet "splinter" or "dipstick"
Eng. Cadet Me
Lecky. Cliff Humphries.

My previous trip [1st.] was Luminous.
Next [3rd.] Lumiere.
Next Cunard Calamanda.
Then Port Launceston.
Back to Luminous.
Reprieved from tankerland and on to the Port New Plymouth.
Recaptured and sentenced to Lumiere.
Saw the light, resigned, went 'coasting' with James Fisher [8wks. on 4wks off].
J. F then dangled the N. Sea carrot [4wks. on 4wks. off] and a big lift in pay.

rgds.,

baffled
Interesting comment about Sulzer.....Pielsticks were the ultimate nightmare with Napier blowers and Johnnie Bain C/E that finished me off on the Lumious never touched tankers again no good memories there I'm afraid...john g
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
tanker said:
I put the pic of LUMINOUS as AL KHAFJI ,Genoa sept.1983Porto Petroli Multedo) .in the same time LUSTROUS was AL HOFUF and LUMEN was AL DAMMAN I all under SI flag.
Appreciate that photo I never thought I'd see that dear vessel again...good to know she went to a good home and probably gave nightmares to others !!!....dreadfull ship.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
john g said:
Interesting comment about Sulzer.....Pielsticks were the ultimate nightmare with Napier blowers and Johnnie Bain C/E that finished me off on the Lumious never touched tankers again no good memories there I'm afraid...john g
Later in life the Napiers were changed for Brown-Bovery, I don't recall hearing of much in the way of turbo-charger problems after that, I alternated between Luminetta and Lucerna til about 1989.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Luminetta [and class].

Apart from the 'Napier' blowers there were other dark forces of engineering evil to be dealt with.


'Sharples' purifiers!

'Atlas' evaps.!

'Autronica' UMS monitor cards!

rgds.,
baffled.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,204 Posts
Mahsud and Maihar were both built in Lindholmens . Their engines however however were built at Eriksbergs .
Maihar and Mahsud had
Brown Boveri turbo blowers and they were never a problem. The tankers had Naipers which were Sh1 t !
I sailed as 2nd on Lumen ; and chief on Luminous and Lusterous. Lumen was not too bad but Luminous had real problems with the Turbo blowers . We carried 2 spares and continually changed them / overhauled them changed them etc .
The design was not as good as Brown Boveri and they were a " cheap " blower so tended to be favored by the accountant types !!
The actual cost of using these units was Very High Indeed .
They were OK if one had a good quality fuel but if there was any Vanadium in the fuel they would " Fall Over " very quickly .
There was another problem compounding the issue and that was high Main Engine Lub Oil consumption.
We eventually solved this as we found that a certain 3rd Eng had been putting in the scraper rings on the pistons upside down ( causing huge oil consumptions and heavy fouling of the turbine inlets and blades on the turbo blowers )
It took about a year to find all the ships he was on and which units he had been involved with and then pull all the pistons and re ring correctly .
I think if we had not had poor fuel and the piston ring incident the Napiers may have survived !!
Derek
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Luminetta [and class].

Recall that the spare / o/hauled Napiers were prone to brg. failure after around 200hrs. service.
This was ascribed to Brinelling due to the vibration endured whilst in the aft stowage mounts.
Vibration was particularly bad in that area when in ballast.

rgds.,

baffled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
baffled said:
Apart from the 'Napier' blowers there were other dark forces of engineering evil to be dealt with.


'Sharples' purifiers!

'Atlas' evaps.!

'Autronica' UMS monitor cards!

rgds.,
baffled.
Oh no please don't let the nightmare return.....Autronica the dam things used to shut down the main engines until some scandiavian guy arrived and disconnected them. I recall the ref comp cooling water leaking onto the V/P prop control box and putting the job into reverse in the early hours...never again !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
lol] john g, [re. y'r.post 14].
OK.
However the 'big one' for me was the 'Crankcase Explosion'.

Night log time.
High diff. on portside MELO Filts.. [nowt new, port or stb'd].

Swing Filts. over for routine cleaning 't'morrow' and whilst doing so the Port ME started making noises akin to a bad night in Beiruit.
So. [next 2.5secs] advised the cadet to 'hoppit' [2nd. word was 'off', 3rd was 'aft', 4th. was 'quick' and parked m'self behind the oily water separator till the flack stopped.
What a mechanical mess!
rgds.,
baffled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
baffled said:
lol] john g, [re. y'r.post 14].
OK.
However the 'big one' for me was the 'Crankcase Explosion'.

Night log time.
High diff. on portside MELO Filts.. [nowt new, port or stb'd].

Swing Filts. over for routine cleaning 't'morrow' and whilst doing so the Port ME started making noises akin to a bad night in Beiruit.
So. [next 2.5secs] advised the cadet to 'hoppit' [2nd. word was 'off', 3rd was 'aft', 4th. was 'quick' and parked m'self behind the oily water separator till the flack stopped.
What a mechanical mess!
rgds.,
baffled.


Was this on the trip from Tasmania to the Gulf?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
baffled said:
lol] john g, [re. y'r.post 14].
OK.
However the 'big one' for me was the 'Crankcase Explosion'.

Night log time.
High diff. on portside MELO Filts.. [nowt new, port or stb'd].

Swing Filts. over for routine cleaning 't'morrow' and whilst doing so the Port ME started making noises akin to a bad night in Beiruit.
So. [next 2.5secs] advised the cadet to 'hoppit' [2nd. word was 'off', 3rd was 'aft', 4th. was 'quick' and parked m'self behind the oily water separator till the flack stopped.
What a mechanical mess!
rgds.,
baffled.
This wee yarn sounds interesting would ye have a little more information Mr Baffled ?.....john g
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Hi john g and mcook,

The c/case explosion wasn't aboard Luminetta.
Sorry if this was not clear.

The anecdote was a continuation to 'other engineering evils' [re. post 14].

So, the big-bang were either Luminous or Lumiere.
[Was 3rd on both] and I tend towards accusing Lumiere, [S.A. coast 1976].
The 'Hi LO diff.' was due to one of the Port M.E.outboard bank pistons disintegrating.
Therefore when the explosion doors 'popped' as we were operating the Vokes duplex L.O. filters twas akin to a bonfire night from nowhere!
Naturally, another 'turn-to' and another all-nighter.
[Daddy's yacht these UMS day-working ships????].
rgds.,
baffled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I was 5/E & 4/E on Lumiere 89 til 92 ( when ship went to Guernsey crewing). MELO filters still didn't last the whole night. Tommy Bampton was Chief, as well as Stuie Grant. Turbos were ok on all trips I did, though the jacket hoses pereished on a regular basis - usually in the wee small hours. Actually had a couple of clear nights.
Remember , as fifth, ocassionally managing to escape the purifier room!!
Must admit when I bunker in Oban, or Kennacraig, these days I do sometimes wish I was in Durban on a lovely spring day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Hi Hugh,
I remember crossing paths when I was R/O on Luminetta 1983-84. I also sailed with Dave Wolfenden, Gordon "Captain Sensible" Ward and also Wally Flett.
Regards,
Martin
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top