Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for information on the first Lylepark, which was sunk during the war, as well as pictures, and if possible, plans.

My grandfather had his second voyage on her last.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lylepark - William Archbold

I have a copy of the Articles of the last voyage of the Lylepark with your Grandfathers signature as 3rd Engineer with his home address in Tyneside. Get in contact.

Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lylepark

Chris Smith,
We are still hunting for a roster for the Lylepark. We are completing the rosters for the Fukuoka area POW Camps but cannot determine the ships for the various prisoners. The only positive name was Horace Frederick Archer (rank not determined) who died 10 July 1945 or acute enteritis (dysentery) at the Fukuoka #3 POW Camp.

We can identify many man by their rank (listed by the Japanese) but not by ship.
Can you assist?
Regards,
Roger Mansell
Director
Center For Research
Allied POWS Under Thye Japanese
www.mansell.com

I have a copy of the Articles of the last voyage of the Lylepark with your Grandfathers signature as 3rd Engineer with his home address in Tyneside. Get in contact.

Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts

Chris
Hi, I’m looking for any info on the Lylepark sunk during ww2. I just found out my great grandfather was on it Albert John Holding.
I don’t know much about him having just discovered this part of my family so looking for anything I can get.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Chris Smith,
We are still hunting for a roster for the Lylepark. We are completing the rosters for the Fukuoka area POW Camps but cannot determine the ships for the various prisoners. The only positive name was Horace Frederick Archer (rank not determined) who died 10 July 1945 or acute enteritis (dysentery) at the Fukuoka #3 POW Camp.

We can identify many man by their rank (listed by the Japanese) but not by ship.
Can you assist?
Regards,
Roger Mansell
Director
Center For Research
Allied POWS Under Thye Japanese
www.mansell.com
I think Captain A.Cant was one . probably 2nd.mate.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Extracted from my book, SHIPPING COMPANY LOSSES OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR.

LYLEPARK (Captain C.S. Low). Bound independently for Cape Town from New York when intercepted, shelled and sunk by the German raider Michel (Kapitän zur See Helmuth von Ruckteschell) on 11 June, 1942, in approximate position 14º00´W 10º00´W. Thirty-six died and 3 wounded. Twenty-two taken prisoner by the Michel, but transferred to the supply ship Doggerbank (ex-Speybank, captured by the Atlantis) which took them to Japan where they spent the remainder of the war in Camp Fukuoka.

In order to avoid captivity, Captain Low and Mr. Reid, the 1st Mate, remained on the burning ship, and slid down the falls into a damaged lifeboat. And when it sank, they succeeded in boarding separate rafts. Captain Low, spotted by a plane from the carrier HMS Archer, was picked up and taken to Freetown while Mr Reid and the 2nd Mate were also brought there by the Avila Star, and all were returning to the UK on her when she was torpedoed and sunk on 6 July. Along with others, Captain Low, with a wounded arm and shoulder, was picked up from a lifeboat by the Portuguese destroyer Lima, and taken to Ponta Delgada, in the Azores. Mr Reid was in charge of one of the Avila Star’s lifeboats which was never seen again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts