Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help a friend of mine please. His name is Gordon Buckley and he would like to know what became of a ship he used to work on when he worked for the Harrison line. The ship is, or was, called the M.V Adventurer and the keel was laid in 1953 I believe, either that or she was launched in 1953, I'm not sure. Other than that I have no further details.

Thanks.
Coastie

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Your friend's info fails to tie in with my records Coastie. The only 1953 Harrison's ship that I know is Diplomat.
Adventurer was launched by Doxford's in April 1959 and delivered in February 1960. She had a distinctive profile with 2 short hatches, followed by the bridge, then 2 very long hatches seperated by a 180 ton Stulken derrick then the main superstructure with funnel and 4 lifeboats, the final hatch was on a raised poop deck with a small deckhouse at the stern.
In 1979 she was sold to Prospel Maritime Ltd, Greece in 1979 and finally scrapped at Gadani Beach in 1985.

Fred

·
Banned
5,898 Posts
Ahoy Coastie,
Is this the one your looking for?

Adventurer1960 1979 sold to Greece renamed Eleftheria. 8,971

Built in Sunderland on 02-1960 at Wm.Doxford & Sons [S.B]Ltd.[834]
IMO:5003576
Call Sign:GFCE
Owner:Charent S.S.Co.Ltd
Manager:Thos & Jas. Harrison Ltd.
Flag:U.K.
P.o.R.:Liverpool
LOA x B x D:149.43 x 19.89 x 8.999
Eng:Oil 2SA 6Cy 670x2320 5147kW[6900bhp]
Speed:15kn

·
Registered
11,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adventurer

Fred.

Many thanks for the info, I think that is the one cos I remember him saying something about it being able to lift quite a large ammount. I must be wrong about the date.

Ruud.

Many thanks for the picture and info too, if it's alright with you, I'll print it off and show it to Gordon?

Best wishes.

Coastie.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
janbonde said:
Hi Fred when those ships were built they went over to Germany to get their running gear rigged is that right
Not sure about Adventurer, Janbonde. She was a one-off and it was the first time a Stulken was installed in a British ship. Later, they were certainly installed in the builders yards.

Fred

·
Registered
11,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Adventurer

Thanks all for your information.

Ruud. A friend of mine showed Gordon your picture and he agreed that that was his ship. When he came ashore he ran a couple of pubs for a time and I think the alchohol has befuddled his brain!

Fred. He also saw the information you had posted and thanks you, and all involved.

(Applause)

Once again, many thanks.

Best wishes.

Coastie.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks Ruud for a great photo of one of my old ships. I sailed on her for 2 or 3 trips as Asst Purser and Purser, I often wondered what happend to the old girl, she was a smashing ship, good memories of her. It was amazing to see the whole ship heel over when she was Heavy Lifting with the Stulken and the Chief Officer orchestrating the men operating it. For the most part though a ' California Rig ' was employed utilising the four derricks, rather than breaking out the Stulken, which was time consuming. I had loads of photographs of her and many other Harrisons ships which were lost during a house move. Wish I had them now as I would have posted them.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Eric Parkin,
I was with Harrison Line, as Purser, at roughly the same time as you. In those days Tim Potter was Purser of the "Adventurer", do you remember him or any of the other Harrison Men of that time?. Would appreciate hearing from you.
Peter Baker.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Edward,
I'm afraid those names mean nothing to me. It appears that you must have been in Harrisons just after me.
The names o Pursers that I remember are:- Nev. Thomas, Dai Jenkins, Tim Potter, Gerry Robinson, Chopper Malloy, Vic. Laird, Norman Coppel.
Chief Stewards:- Bob Hope, Jackie Moore and others too numerous to menton.
Peter.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Edward,
Jackie Moore, Chief Steward, was a tall dark haired guy who was probably the best feeder in the M.N.
Rumor had it that he stole the girl friend of Russ Conway, the famous Liverpool pianist and entertainer.
Peter.

·
Registered
160 Posts
thanks peter i do remember his reputation as a good chief steward i only worked by with him i was about 15/16years old at the time, two chief cooks names that i sailed with i think you might know are tommy collins/ eddie boyd he was a west indian, both left me with lasting memories all good. regards edward.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Edward/Peter

I remember Jackie Moore too. He was a great guy, always well turned out. We sailed to the Cape on the old "Barrister" in 1964. The Chief Cook was a guy called Danny who'd sailed as a Ch/Stwd and Norman "Poetry" Coppel was the purser. Jack had a girl friend in Durban, strictly platonic of course, but we didn't see much of him whilst we were there.
The Mate was a guy called Deck Head Williams who later went ashore to run a pub. The chief engineer was a ghastly man called Harrigate Smith. We broke down for a couple off days off the Canaries. We had to go into Las Palmas for a week to effect repairs. Jackie always looked after us, best food and service considering it was a Harrison ship.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pat Baker

Hello Pat,

I do remember your name but cant remember meeting you.
As Asst. Purser I sailed with Jim Peacock, I last heard that he was doing well in the Public House trade. Peter Oberg or Oldberg, what a character he was. Mike Best who lived over the water in wallassey, he's probably a millionaire now. I sailed with another Mike, surname I forget, he was a nice chap. Im afraid the mists of time are taking their toll on my memory. A couple of years ago I read somewhere on the net that someone, I think it was a Mr Chambers, I think he was Head of Crewing Dept, where Fred Wharton worked downstairs in Mersey Chambers or Chamberlain, was compiling a History of the Harrison Line. Wish I had kept some crew lists, I can see faces but cant fit names to them. I can remember Harrogate Smith, Ch. Engineer. and Capt. Alan Moreton, what an absolute gentleman he was. There was a Ch. Engineer who sailed on Adventurer who lived in Grey Road, Walton. Liverpool, who again was a thorough gentleman and a pleasure to sail with. I made my first trip on the Explorer, July 1969 after working around the coast,when docked at Canada Dock everyone stayed up all night watching the first landing of an astronaut on the moon, the Purser/Catering Officer was a Mr Alf Ead or was it Eadie, I did'nt get on too well with him, far too authoritarian, although for the most part I suppose he was alright. I can remember the Tactician's engine room going on fire, and she had to dock in the azores to effect repairs. I wonder whatever happend to all the Cased model ships that were displayed in the Dock Office and Mersey Chambers.

Regards, Eric.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Bill Lambert.
Glad that you remember Jackie Moore. I also remember Harrogare Smith (ugh). Norman Coppel sailed as my Assistant Purser on his 1st trip after leaving the Royal Marines, but why did you nickname him "Poetry".
If "Deckhead" Williams refers to Eric Williams who was about 7 foot tall, then I sailed with him when he was 1st Officer and also went to Oldershaw Grammar School in Wallasey some years before that.
It is strange that we never met.
Would love to hear more from you.
Pat Baker.

·
Registered
160 Posts
eric, one of the cased models the mv inventor which i sailed on is/was on display at the mersey maritime museum but i did hear that they were going to be moved. i would love to know my self were the rest of the models are (some one must know). edward

1 - 20 of 50 Posts