Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did two trips on the MV Maihar between 1973 and 74 as the second electrician...... is there anyone out there who sailed on her in those days that remembers me..... I remember a few names, but, too many have been lost into the folds of storage in my brain..... there was a second mate called Peter Carter with whom I met two wonderful women in Wilmington, Delaware.... she was a great ship and I had some experiences of a lifetime on her

·
Registered
933 Posts
It's good to see a Brocklebank name again. I came ashore from Brocks in 1961 but recall being in Calcutta in 1956 on SS Mahanada when the gracious and previous SS Maihar entered Kidderpore. The crew of that elderly tropical lady had a reputation for being a bit wild. It was certainly a great party we had when the Maihar crowd, lugging crates of Tennents, invaded Mahanada.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Harry .... my first ship deep sea was on the Maihar... she set a high standard to follow... her automation allowed her to be a very sociable ship as all the engineers were on day work..... I did two trips into Calcutta on her and recall sitting in the Hooghly off garden reach and of how humbling the life there was.... we were young then and drank to excess more so in calcutta as we were told to avoid drinking the water... this was our excuse to drink more

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Gents,
I sailed on Maihar as Mate between March and September 1975. Master was Sam Baxter. She had been let run down a bit by the time I got on her, with hydraulic leaks from the tween deck hatch machinery and unreliable hatch covers the bane of my life. All the cargo gear was under maintained, and she needed a lot of rejuvenation on deck. Being an Aussie, I had no problems increasing the crews overtime to get some work done, and I upset the Marine Super by painting the two anchors Brocklebank blue to match the hull stripe. I thought she looked quite smart when we hit the English coast. However after an incident in Madras where a pipe slipped from a sling during discharge and punching a hole in the tank top of No3 hold resulting in flooding from fuel oil, I had had enough and asked to be relieved, returning to Australia. But I have fond memories of my 3 years with the "poms" at Cunard Brocklebank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting account of the state the Maihar was in and the troubles you had..... I think it all started when Cunard Brocklebank changed their crewing philosophy. When I was on her they had three crews of "regulars" rotating between the two sister ships Maihar and Masud, doing this gave a greater chance for work being done was done properly as if it wasn't it would come back to bight you in the ass at a later date and you'd be held accountable by the other crew.... crewing abandoned the system and started just assigning people, a warm body in some cases, who didn't care about what they did as they knew they wouldn't come back and have to fix their problems and screw-ups.... that and the reduction of maintenance budgets to match the general decline of the Cunard brand contributed to the ships decline. Sorry you had such a rough time.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
I did two trips on SS Maihar as 4th eng. off joined her at Glasgow in May 23 1957voyage 94 when she was completing a more or less rebuilt, 4 new boilers, pumps, engine out and rebuilt, new accommodation etce etc and piece de resistance a proper built in swimming pool aft of the funnel. Capt "crikey" Morris CH Eng Russell Gordon, 2nd Jack Evans 5th Bob Stoddard 1RO Cliff Watson, 2nd RO Rom McMurtrie, CH Std. Jim Sunners, same crowd next trip except Jack Evans was Ch. Eng. Finally paid off 2 Dec 1957. Great ship

See my painting of her att. Oops can't get it to work

1 - 6 of 6 Posts