Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have anything on MacAndrews as my cousin Donald Sinclair was Master there for many a' year.

·
Registered
723 Posts
danube4 said:
EBenarty, I have pics of Palomares and Palachio If any good to you.
Barney.
I was bosun on the Kyleglen of Monro bros Liverpool I believe she was a Mac Andrew ship previously but I don't have her history

·
Registered
211 Posts
MacAndrewws

I sailed on the Villagus back in 1957,I dont remember the skippers name I have a photo of that ship if you tell me the year.Eric Wallace

·
Registered
876 Posts
I was third mate on "Ponzano" and "Pinto" in 1960/61. Left them to sit for Mates ticket and did not return as I was saving to get married so joined Esso where the money was better and temptations fewer.

They paid bare BOT wages with none of the little extras that some companies paid as there was always a waiting list for jobs with them. On the "Pinto" we did a 6 week round trip. Two weeks (sometimes including 3 weekends) in Liverpool then 4 weeks away to Genoa, Livorno, Palermo Naples,Valencia, Cadiz, in fact just about all the Spanish and Italian ports that
are so popular now with modern cruise ships. We rarely worked cargo at night and the Master used to keep the nights aboard (his hobby was walking so we never saw him during the day in port but on his return he said we could all go ashore with many resulting thick heads.) We were on a "Running Agreement" so all time counted as watchkeeping time for tickets, even though in Liverpool the second and third mates always went home for a few days.

Sounds too good to be true, which it was!!! Had to come back to reality in the end.

Master on the "Ponzano" was "Pop" Harriss and on "Pinto" was "Noddy" Smith.

Happy Days,
---------------------
Tony C

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Third Mate on Goya Weekly run Southampton - Bilbao - Bordeaux - Southampton. Last vessel of the fleet to have a Macs name as by this time UBC were parent company

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
danube4 said:
EBenarty, I have pics of Palomares and Palachio If any good to you.
Barney.
Yes I would love them !! My cousin was with them until they folded up and I believe he was on all their ship, he was in Salvesens and Ben line prior to that.
Thanks,
Billy.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
EBenarty, Click Gallery, scroll down to cargo vessels, click page 2.
Ship title NO NAME and ONE OF TWO. Are the ships you want. Barney.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Villagus

Eric Wallace said:
I sailed on the Villagus back in 1957,I dont remember the skippers name I have a photo of that ship if you tell me the year.Eric Wallace
That is one of the ships he was on !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
David (Jock) Sinclair

I joined the Velarde on the 30 June 1969 in Surry Docks as Chief Officer and Jock was the master. We were loading for Gibralter and Spanish ports Barcelona and Valencia. On the return to Butlers Wharf via Dover he asked me if I had been inside Ushant and he took the ship on a real white knuckle ride through the Chanel du Four. I sailed again with him on the Churruca 20 Sep 1969. He was a brilliant shiphandler with great courage. Truly one of lifes rememberable sailors. Sorry it has been so long since your original enquiry but I have only just discovered this site. I am a Port of London river pilot and still go to Butlers Wharf occasionly but nowadays it is Passenger Vessels to the Belfast or Luxury Yachts to Butlers. Please let me know if you get this and I would be glad to fill you in on anything you want to know.
Captain John Freestone

·
Registered
723 Posts
John
Welcome to SN. I joined Palacio (1926 one) on 27th July 1956 to get a few days sea time, I had enough by my reckoning but not the examiners. Jock was master and even then was a confirmed taker of short cuts. Palacio was certainly parish rigged, no gyro, no radar and no echo sounder, we used the hand leadline and the deepsea leadline (the watch there watch variety). Jock's party piece was as with you The Race of Alderney but as with you only homeward bound, it was said he only knew it one way. In my case the visibility closed in half way through and Jock ended up doing the maritime equivulent of hand break turns. Another time whilst doing his Gravesend to Dungeness pilotage he asked me what side of the buoy coming upahead he would pass and me knowing Jock I replied "the wrong side" to which he said "I don't do things like that" and left the bridge. We were taking military equipment to the French army in North Africa for their war with the rebels (FLN?) and had quite a good reception from them. Palacio had quite a good football team and we ended up playing a French army team with me as 3/0 being orderd to play as a trial. It was a disaster with their team being the most aggressive and violent bunch I've ever come across and to make matters worse part of our team were Polish and part of their team were German, what Germans were doing in the French army I don't know. Needless to say I only did one trip but in 1962-3 whilst looking for a shore job I sailed as Mate on Pozarica, Pacheco and Palacio (the new one). Looking back I had a great admiration for Capain David Sinclair a fine shipmaster and a great character

·
Registered
487 Posts
David,
Interesting post. Suspect that the products of our colleges in say the last 10 years would need an interpreter to comprehend your post. What! no sat nav. What's a sextant??

·
Registered
252 Posts
In late 70's used to load Palacio outward from Sheerness to Gibraltar for Ellermans (joint trade) always had trouble getting started because customs insisted that bulk wine tanks were filled and emptied (water) to stop dregs of discharge being used for drinking ( I 'm sure on occasion they were too late)

1 - 20 of 92 Posts