Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Dad was MacAndrews Chief Engineer, in early '50s. Ponzano, Pozerica. Mum not happy when Dad was onboard in London and she had to leave vessel before nightfalll!
Dannic.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Left Forresbank, joined Baltic Sprite in 1965.
Hi I left Forresbank in Dec 1963 to sit for masters,did you join the Forresbank then?I think that we payed off in Birkenhead.

There was always a rumor that nobody from Bank Line would ever get a job in Macandrews,was it just a yarn?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Inside Ushant

I joined the Velarde on the 30 June 1969 in Surry Docks as Chief Officer and Jock Sinclair was the master. We were loading for Gibralter and Spanish ports Barcelona and Valencia. On the return to Butlers Wharf via Dover he asked me if I had been inside Ushant and he took the ship on a real white knuckle ride through the Chanel du Four. I sailed again with him on the Churruca 20 Sep 1969. He was a brilliant shiphandler with great courage. Truly one of lifes rememberable sailors.
Captain John Freestone
The first time I went inside Ushant was in the Pozarica in ’64 when on passage Lisbon towards London. The Old Man was Arthur W Lowdon, perhaps better known as “Electric Jack” on account of his twitchy manner in speech and movement. It was a route taken to please some of the regulars among our twelve passengers who had previously been inside Ushant. The outer Passage du Fromveur was chosen for a pleasant transit on a clear sunny morning.

Two years later I went inside Ushant again when in the General Steam Co., Heron southbound on the London/Bordeaux run, under Captain G C Longfield a real coasting man who favoured the inner Chenal du Four simply because it offered the most economical route. Alone on the bridge on a clear moonless night, I still recall passing a couple of cables off the lighthouse on the Pointe de Kermorvan and looking UP at the flashing light.

Quite a change from the first time I rounded Ushant – then a prudent 10 miles off in a laden tanker.

Keith

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
China hand: Did you ever hear of a Captain Knox in UBC, a man whose reputation went before him.......or so I was told!

Keith
Hi Aberdonian, I only did that one "fill in trip" in Baltic Sprite. The whole bunch were a new experience for a warm water sailor like me.
Jackie Jones, Daddy Gin, Ice Fighting Alford, Customs Sweetie,etc., I wish I could remember them all. A short trip, but what a learning curve. First trip with white crew! Nuff said.(Thumb)

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Hi I left Forresbank in Dec 1963 to sit for masters,did you join the Forresbank then?I think that we payed off in Birkenhead.

There was always a rumor that nobody from Bank Line would ever get a job in Macandrews,was it just a yarn?
Hi Jimthehat,
Not me sahib, I joined shiny new Tweedbank with a shiny new 2nd mates ticket about then (63~64) in Sunderland. I joined Forresbank in New Zealand in June 1965. Ossie Brown was master, I left Bank line after that. Came back in '74 after being told I could never rejoin the Merchant Navy after having sailed foreign flag. Ho Hum.

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
Hi Aberdonian, I only did that one "fill in trip" in Baltic Sprite. The whole bunch were a new experience for a warm water sailor like me.
Jackie Jones, Daddy Gin, Ice Fighting Alford, Customs Sweetie,etc., I wish I could remember them all. A short trip, but what a learning curve. First trip with white crew! Nuff said.(Thumb)
Well I was a white crew member in one of Mc Andrews, the Vives, and as far as I can recall we were all basically normal, had the same number of arms and legs as crews of a different colour, so what does the 'nuff said' mean?(EEK)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Twenty odd years (no pun meant) in UBC and Macs and as far as I can tell, still normal. I'm sure SWSBO would have told me otherwise in no uncertain terms straight away ! Mind, to be fair there was a few 'characters' knocking round in UBC when I first sailed with them !

Mike

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Well I was a white crew member in one of Mc Andrews, the Vives, and as far as I can recall we were all basically normal, had the same number of arms and legs as crews of a different colour, so what does the 'nuff said' mean?(EEK)
Nothing nasty intended Pat. Normality perfectly accepted, but remember that a Bank line appy in the 60's was used to a crew of around 60 souls, three quarters of whom were of a totally different culture.
When a Serang with 40 years sea time calls a first trip child "sahib", it is a bit of a shock to go into the environment which, I am sure, prevailed in white (European) crew ships.
I later went into Blue Star and had no trouble thereafter, but the first move was an eye-opener. Hence 'nuff said'. Sorry if I offended you.(Smoke)

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
Nothing nasty intended Pat. Normality perfectly accepted, but remember that a Bank line appy in the 60's was used to a crew of around 60 souls, three quarters of whom were of a totally different culture.
When a Serang with 40 years sea time calls a first trip child "sahib", it is a bit of a shock to go into the environment which, I am sure, prevailed in white (European) crew ships.
I later went into Blue Star and had no trouble thereafter, but the first move was an eye-opener. Hence 'nuff said'. Sorry if I offended you.(Smoke)
No offence taken, as I thought, you were referring to the lack of deference displayed by European ratings as opposed to those from the sub continent. We were better sailors as well!(Thumb)

·
Registered
543 Posts
If I recall, when a Macandrews job came on the board in Prescott Street, even if you were first to the counter it was "Sorry, jobs gone."
Strange (Cloud)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Bosun

Reference to serangs brings to mind the bosun of the Pelayo, a solidly built Glaswegian by the name of Donald MacDonald who had a forthright manner when dealing with any crew dissent. One morning when making ready for sea a sailor made some ill-judged remark. Donald turned on him, slipping off his bracelet wris****ch with clear intent, “You dae as you’re telt or get on that ferkin’ hatch!”

Those were the days,

Keith

·
Registered
200 Posts
The first time I went inside Ushant was in the Pozarica in ’64 when on passage Lisbon towards London. The Old Man was Arthur W Lowdon, perhaps better known as “Electric Jack” on account of his twitchy manner in speech and movement. It was a route taken to please some of the regulars among our twelve passengers who had previously been inside Ushant. The outer Passage du Fromveur was chosen for a pleasant transit on a clear sunny morning.

Two years later I went inside Ushant again when in the General Steam Co., Heron southbound on the London/Bordeaux run, under Captain G C Longfield a real coasting man who favoured the inner Chenal du Four simply because it offered the most economical route. Alone on the bridge on a clear moonless night, I still recall passing a couple of cables off the lighthouse on the Pointe de Kermorvan and looking UP at the flashing light.

Quite a change from the first time I rounded Ushant – then a prudent 10 miles off in a laden tanker.

Keith

Hi Keith,

My Dis.Book. tells me I served as an A.B. on the 'Pozarica' (Capt. A.W. Lowdon) from May 13th - May 30th, 1964 when she was on the London-Lisbon run. It occurred to me that we may have stood a watch together during that time. Although the 'Pozarica' was older than most MacAndrew's ships of that era, I would have happily stayed longer were it not for a prior commitment to rejoin G.S.N.C's 'Royal Sovereign' (an excursion passenger boat, on which I was a regular crew member during the summer months of 1962-1965). That I should have no independent memory of the 'Pozzie' taking a 'short-cut' past Ushant does not surprise, it was over 50 years ago and my memory isn't quite what it was. Strangely, however, I do recall we berthed starboard side-to when in Lisbon.

Your mention of U.B.C's Captain Knox (#40) also rang a bell. I sailed with him several times during the Spring of 1963 and again during the period Jan-April, 1964. At the time, he was Master of the 'Baltic Merchant' which was regularly engaged on the London-Leningrad-Hull service. Whilst I'm aware that UBC had more than it's share of colourful characters or 'oddballs', there is nothing 'peculiar' about Capt.Knox that readily springs to mind.....unless of course it was he who, whilst attempting a manouevre of wonderful invention, re-arranged the shape of the lock-gates at Brunsbuttelkoog in the early 60's....but nah! I don't think so. During the period 1959-1966 I served on ten(10) different ships owned by either MacAndrew's or UBC......good ships and good companies both. I realise that 'Short-sea trading' may not have been everyone's cup of tea, but for me, a married man, it was the ideal.

Nowadays, in moments of alcohol induced reflection I remember those years with great affection and realise just how lucky I was....how lucky we all were!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Pozarica

Hi Roger,

Yes, I can confirm we sailed together in the Pozarica on that particular Lisbon voyage in 1964. We arrived back in London on 29 May after being fogbound for a spell off the West Leigh Middle buoy. Without a likeness, Roger, I can’t recall you but “Electric Jack” was indeed the Master, George Hoyle the Mate and I was Second Mate. The Bosun at the time may have been a Pole, a very correct man who wore a beret.

The Pozarica was a fine ship to serve in with good crews, mainly composed of Londoners and Poles. You will be interested to know the ship was sold in 1964 to Societa Anônimo Letasa, Spain, and renamed Blue Fin. On 27 Nov 1965, she lost her rudder in a storm in the Bay of Biscay. The ship was taken in tow, but on 28 Nov her cargo shifted and she sank 60 nautical miles west of La Rochelle, France.

Referring to Captain Knox’s alleged reputation as a bit of a disciplinarian, this may have come from some ex UBC malcontent with an axe to grind and so should be disregarded.

Happy days,

Keith

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
General Steam

If I recall, when a Macandrews job came on the board in Prescott Street, even if you were first to the counter it was "Sorry, jobs gone."
Strange (Cloud)
Certainly, at one time it was said that getting a job with General Steam was a case of, “Stepping into dead men’s shoes”.
A standing joke in the old London Dock featured a guy visiting a pal in a GSNC vessel:

He hailed an elderly hand busy on the deck of a tosher moored alongside:
“Hello! Is ‘Arry aboard?”
“’Arry? Never ‘eard of him”.
“But he’s been 10 years in this ship!”
Pause
“Oh.......you mean the new bloke?”

Keith

·
Registered
876 Posts
The Bosun and Carpenter on "Pinto" lived on the ship.

Theo, the Bosun, was from Poland and the Carpenter (Forgot
his name) was from the Maldive Islands.

Their only address was a c/o a Seaman's home in Liverpool.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Pozarica

Hi Keith,

My Dis.Book. tells me I served as an A.B. on the 'Pozarica' (Capt. A.W. Lowdon) from May 13th - May 30th, 1964 when she was on the London-Lisbon run. It occurred to me that we may have stood a watch together during that time. Although the 'Pozarica' was older than most MacAndrew's ships of that era, I would have happily stayed longer were it not for a prior commitment to rejoin G.S.N.C's 'Royal Sovereign' (an excursion passenger boat, on which I was a regular crew member during the summer months of 1962-1965). That I should have no independent memory of the 'Pozzie' taking a 'short-cut' past Ushant does not surprise, it was over 50 years ago and my memory isn't quite what it was. Strangely, however, I do recall we berthed starboard side-to when in Lisbon.

Your mention of U.B.C's Captain Knox (#40) also rang a bell. I sailed with him several times during the Spring of 1963 and again during the period Jan-April, 1964. At the time, he was Master of the 'Baltic Merchant' which was regularly engaged on the London-Leningrad-Hull service. Whilst I'm aware that UBC had more than it's share of colourful characters or 'oddballs', there is nothing 'peculiar' about Capt.Knox that readily springs to mind.....unless of course it was he who, whilst attempting a manouevre of wonderful invention, re-arranged the shape of the lock-gates at Brunsbuttelkoog in the early 60's....but nah! I don't think so. During the period 1959-1966 I served on ten(10) different ships owned by either MacAndrew's or UBC......good ships and good companies both. I realise that 'Short-sea trading' may not have been everyone's cup of tea, but for me, a married man, it was the ideal.

Nowadays, in moments of alcohol induced reflection I remember those years with great affection and realise just how lucky I was....how lucky we all were!
Sorry to intrude, but seeing reference to the POZERICA rang a bell in my mind. Late 50's when on leave from the Bank Line and living in the London suburbs, I cycled down to London docks and shared a beer or two with the mate of (I believe) the Pozerica late at night. The only thing is she was then loading for Baltic ports for UBC, and I wonder if you or any viewers can confirm that this indeed took place? Did UBC occasionally use McAndrews vessels and vice versa?
Thanks

·
Registered
756 Posts
Sorry to intrude, but seeing reference to the POZERICA rang a bell in my mind. Late 50's when on leave from the Bank Line and living in the London suburbs, I cycled down to London docks and shared a beer or two with the mate of (I believe) the Pozerica late at night. The only thing is she was then loading for Baltic ports for UBC, and I wonder if you or any viewers can confirm that this indeed took place? Did UBC occasionally use McAndrews vessels and vice versa?
Thanks
Hi Allan,
I was with them '77 - '97 and although employed by UBC was expected to serve occasionally on Mac ships for this time. From stories I heard ships were swapped over periodically for a long time and one UBC ship I served on was converted to a gearless container ship and renamed to Cortes to serve in the Med with a mixture of UBC and Mac crews

Mike

·
Malim Sahib Moderator
8,606 Posts
As I remember some of the small City boats were also swapped between the MacAndrew's trades and what was left of Ellerman Lines (also owned by Weirs).

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I remember the Crew Dept in Bury Street telling me that MacAndrews and UBC were used reasonably frequently for Bank Line staff to finish off sea-time if they were short of the required amount for tickets. Better that than another 2 year trip!

41 - 60 of 92 Posts