Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Lt Colonel was his nominal rank while employed by the Congolese Army - I suppose he just got used to it and used it thereafter.
Rather like a man my father knew who styled himself Captain but apparently he was given the rank serving in the International Brigage in Spain.
Do we value a rank conferred by the established hierarchy more than one earned in action and conferred by those on the spot?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I always thought he was a gun for hire on the Blood River and all the time he was the Pope, Mother Theresa, Dali Lama and the Archbishop of Canterbury's Assistant for Anglican Communion Affairs. Oh, and apparently Judge Judy; what a man.
How in Gods name did the army let him go and keep such duds as BLM?
All soldiers are either hired or conscripted. You may accept or condemn.
By the way, you missed out the Moderator of the General Assembly of the Wee Free Kirk of Scotland. (As do many graffitists).

·
Registered
7,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Do we value a rank conferred by the established hierarchy more than one earned in action and conferred by those on the spot?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness, others have greatness thrust upon them.
It matters not how one gets there but how one deals with it. In the case of Mike Hoare, very well by all accounts.

To my mind he could call himself whatever he liked to indicate his status. By using a military rank he himself became part of the hierarchy.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Are you questioning the right of a sovereign state to legitimately raise an army, commission officers and wage just war against an enemy?

An officer is commissioned by the Head of State; Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, Lord High Admiral, commissions officers. Promotions are carried out in her name.
A promotion in the field by a bunch of desperados and drunken rabble, not adhering to the Geneva Conventions, can hardly be considered as an equivalent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are you questioning the right of a sovereign state to legitimately raise an army, commission officers and wage just war against an enemy?

An officer is commissioned by the Head of State; Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, Lord High Admiral, commissions officers. Promotions are carried out in her name.
A promotion in the field by a bunch of desperados and drunken rabble, not adhering to the Geneva Conventions, can hardly be considered as an equivalent.
Without question 5 Commando were not choir boys but they saved thousands of lives around Stanleyville during Operation Red Dragon and for that Mike and his group should be thanked.

The Geneva Convention is a nice idea and perhaps in the days gone past it was applicable but I hardly think groups like the PLO, Hamas, ISIS or Assad's cowboys who drop Barrel bombs on hospitals observe them today.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts