Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Nice one Mr S....That brings back some great forgotton times. It's amazing the things Brocks were involved with and at the time we all just took it for granted....keep the memories coming man...john g

·
Registered
842 Posts
Here here John g, great memory jogger Hugh, great forgotten times as you say. My introduction to Sharky Clark by senior ships company members was an education, and the resulting friendships made with a well known Seychellois family is enduring to this day ! One of the better places Brocklebanks had trade links with! was this taken in the 60`s Hugh?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
michael james said:
Here here John g, great memory jogger Hugh, great forgotten times as you say. My introduction to Sharky Clark by senior ships company members was an education, and the resulting friendships made with a well known Seychellois family is enduring to this day ! One of the better places Brocklebanks had trade links with! was this taken in the 60`s Hugh?
Just; 1969

·
Registered
195 Posts
michael james said:
Yes Sharky Clark, what a paradise the Seychelles, did several trips on the Maskeliya. The islands have been ruined by the tourists etc now, we were fortunate to experience them when we did. I still have my cocoanut de mer, and many slides.
Trevor

·
Registered
842 Posts
Trevor,
You hit the nail right on the head, we were extreemly lucky to have seen and experienced the Seychelles as it was before the commercial developments really got going,and ruined the islands. Do you remember the old Sunderland flying boat bring the weekly mail from Mombasa and landing in the anchorage off Mahe?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Certainly do, Mike, and the BI boat was also delivering mail, but only the Brocks ships spent any real time there. They were "our" islands in those days, we picked up turtles one trip for the Columbo Zoo, kept them in the masthouse. Maskeliya was a regular and I was on her almost 2 years.
We were also fortunate to be at sea before containers, we all knew what the cargo was, and it could be pretty exotic at times. Now it's just a box, of what? Who knows what is in a container. Discharging was slower so we had more port time, yes Mike those were great days to be at sea, we even had air conditioning in the 60's. Ever get to Gan or the Moldives
Cheers, Trevor

·
Registered
90 Posts
Trevor said:
Yes Sharky Clark, what a paradise the Seychelles, did several trips on the Maskeliya. The islands have been ruined by the tourists etc now, we were fortunate to experience them when we did. I still have my cocoanut de mer, and many slides.
Trevor
Trevor... You are not wrong there...I had the privelage of visiting Paradise in 1967 with the Grey Funnel line and a better place you could not find in the world...Thanks gents for stiring the old grey matter.
Aye
Mike

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On another occasion I recall visiting Seychelles on Mawana in '67. There was an RFA ship in and we were invited across. Well as apprentice I "HAD" to go - and forgo a night up the road. Dancing on the boat deck, some lady would have me dance despite my protest. I think I only trod on her twice, and since I can't dance other than the stand on the spot shuffle to Animals-Beatles-Pretty Things-Stones, that was doing well. The beer wasn't bad though and for a sprog that could only be good. I see the odd RFA pic and wonder if that was the one in Mahé at the same time but never sure.

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
i remember sailing with a 3/0 called james grandcourt, from the seychelles.....
obviously a close brocks connection with the islands

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Was last there in 1974 on the Mahsud .
The new wharf was just opened and we were first ship to go alongside as I recollect .
At the time I was doing a UK coastal on her and taking "new Chief Engineers " deep sea for a month or two to train them on the running of UMS vessels ; and on that trip I decided the "New Chief " had had enough training and managed to arrange to be relieved in Mahe !!
Further to that there were very few B.O.A.C flights at that time and I met a lady at a Costains dance who asked how long I was staying on the Island ; I explained that I was due to fly out in a couple of days ; she then told me she was the BOAC manager in Victoria and was " Sure " all the seats were taken for that flight and arranged a new flight out a few days later which meant I had to stay for about a week ! All expenses paid .
Oh Happy Days

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Took surveyors out to Mahe from Durban on the mid '60s. The told us that the runway was to be built to be capable of taking the V bombers, in case Gan and Diego Garcia became "No Go areas".

Seem to remember that the surveyors, or at least one, were MOD surveyors.

Rgds.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
i remember sailing with a 3/0 called james grandcourt, from the seychelles.....
obviously a close brocks connection with the islands
Flavian Renaud was 3/0 on Luminetta in about 1978, a very black Seychellois, and very good. Interesting that we went across to drink beer on SA Zebedila in Jeddah. He became the chosen one to be 3/0 on the "new" Atlantic Conveyor.

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
obviously contempories hugh, it was mid/late 1970s when i sailed with 3/0 grandcourt on one of the act boats, which one i can never remember.
with such insipid names as act 2 and act 6 there is nothing to differentiate the two in memory when one has sailed on both a number of times

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
obviously contempories hugh, it was mid/late 1970s when i sailed with 3/0 grandcourt on one of the act boats, which one i can never remember.
with such insipid names as act 2 and act 6 there is nothing to differentiate the two in memory when one has sailed on both a number of times
Did you sail with Davie Meek from Dundee . He was Chief on them last time I saw him . Visited Saint John a couple of times .
Regards Derek

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
chengs were don leitner, australian........and dave burden..northeast enland
both top guys.

2/engs were arlen goonawardene ....... sri lanka and gerry watson.....greasby......:)

among others of course.............

i recall st john.........a hell of a range of tide there if im not mistaken, and a pub called the captain beattie???????
and a nurses home..... :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
We took to of the Costains Foremen to Mahe on the Matra, early 1969, along with a Shovel and Crawler tractor. The two Costains guys were characters, if I remember correctly their names where Grimes and Fortune. I guess it was the beginning of the end for the islands solitude.

Cheers,
Nick Jones

1 - 20 of 35 Posts