Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have always wondered how many ships Brocklebanks owned that were not place names eg Mahseer and Mahout?
Thought you Brocklies might be interested in a picture of the mighty mahseer, rated as one of the best fresh-water catches ever.
I have personally had the pleasure, (though not quite the size), fishing the river Jumna, an idyllic spot bordering Haryana, Himachal and Uttar Pradesh states.
This superb specimen caught in southern India, was released to fight another day.
n.b. Mahseer belong to the perch family, Nile perch and Australian barramundi, depicted on the North Queensland coat of arms.

·
Registered
249 Posts
As far as I know all Brock ships started with MA and were named after
some Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi object or place. There may be a few short
lived exceptions to these names with some chartered vessels and some
war reparation vessels in the fleet at various times.

Another member of the Cunard-Brocklebank group was Moss tankers. All
their ship names started LU and had some connection with light. Lustrous
and Luminous are obvious. Lucigen was, I think, Greek for 'Piercing
Light'. Luxor is named after the Egyptian city, otherwise known as the 'City
of Light'. At least someone put some thought into choosing those names.

On the other side of the coin were the Atlantic Container Transport ships, with original names of ACT1, ACT2, ACT3 ad nauseum.

malcolm

·
Registered
842 Posts
Re Brocklebank ships names: Some time ago I approached the Indian Embassy in London regarding some of the names which were so obscure that I couldnt find where they were derived from, I got back a folder full of information, railway maps, OS maps of India plus a lot of reading material. I was rather impressed with the trouble they had gone to - and I didnt receive a bill !

I had a litter of Field Trial Labrador puppies all Kennel Club registered with Brocklebank names. Maidan Mist, Matheran May, Maskeliya Miller etc etc

At least the names live on in K9 circles. LOL

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I had a litter of Field Trial Labrador puppies all Kennel Club registered with Brocklebank names. Maidan Mist, Matheran May, Maskeliya Miller etc etc

Mr. Brocklebank's chest would swell with pride Mike....what dedication LOL

·
Registered
57 Posts
michael james said:
Re Brocklebank ships names: Some time ago I approached the Indian Embassy in London regarding some of the names which were so obscure that I couldnt find where they were derived from, I got back a folder full of information, railway maps, OS maps of India plus a lot of reading material. I was rather impressed with the trouble they had gone to - and I didnt receive a bill !

At least the names live on in K9 circles. LOL

Michael
The KCC down here don't allow place names but we managed to slip through
2 of our Border Collies with Checkmate CHANDPARA and her daughter SOCOTRA Misty Haze (for BI and Pand O)
(Thumb) Robbo

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
michael james said:
Mathura Melody was Champion in 1999.(My first Brocklebank ship too) I was chuffed as he would have been !
Somehow I just can't imagine standing in the middle of a park with a lead in my hand calling "Mathura Melody come here", but I do understand your pride, they are also a lovely breed of dog.

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
That might be a better option than calling "Andes" or "Himalaya" come here!!...if those boys jumped up at you they could be quite weighty to say the least. But then again is Sampson or Goliath any better. I think I'll just go and take my medicine again now. Think I had better give the Sea Dawg some as well so I am in good company (*)) :) :cool:

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Yeah but Doug is the medicine made in Scotland and does it make you a bit wobbly on your feet?

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
Of course its made in Scotland, where else would it be made for heavens sake!!, all the best medicine is made there. And I dont know if it makes me wobbly on my feet because I was always told to lie down when I had to take my medicine, and then when I have had enough of it I go to sleep.....and the Sea Dawg as well. But he doesnt consume as much as I do as he is much smaller, thank heavens because the medicine bills would be enormous if he was a big Sea Dawg.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Now that is some fish.
I knew Mahseer was an Indian river fish but that one is trully worthy.
Some time ago I made a posting, referring to the writing pad (A5 or so) Brocklebanks issued to ships, with the current ships names and their meanings on the back cover. Sadly I never kept one, and I joined in '64. a lot of ships had gone in the early '60s, names not to be repeated. I got a lot of help back but still have glaring holes and my searching on google and dogpile come back with confusing and ambiguous results.

Can't find that posting now, was it lost in February. Any help much appreciated.

Moss Tankers Lucigen may mean "Leading Light". I was told some time last century that one of the names was concocted. Lucellum or Lucerna? Otherwise, what do they mean. I'm in the dark. Somewhere in the attic I have a list of the birth and death of all Moss tanker tonnage to the mid '70s. Really must get up there.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Since the thread has moved slightly from salt-caked smoke stacks and gamefish to canine, thought I would present my pride and joy, including country of birth.
Lady Buffy Plockton, French-born ten year-old West Highland terrier.
In France dogs have yearly alphabetical registrations similar to UK cars.
Buffs is a L reg. with reg no. tattooed inside her ear, dognapping is big business in this part of the world!
I also had a list of all Blue Funnel ships and international call letters when I was with them. Sadly disappeared in the mists of time.
Happily though, I can still retain many of the callsigns in the non-pickled portion of my grey matter.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Derek: Its all done by whistle, no voice commands, at home answers to Bella.
Robbo: Well done you have to beat silly rules.
R651400: What a lovely little ankle-biter ! Dognapping eh! Take-away trade has been blamed for similar occurances here ! (Or was that cats)

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
As sea dogs go I have a Jack Russell, over the years I have owned many breeds of dogs but Little "Nipper" is the smartest,cleanest,and loveable of them all.

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
R651400 said:
Since the thread has moved slightly from salt-caked smoke stacks and gamefish to canine, thought I would present my pride and joy, including country of birth.
Lady Buffy Plockton, French-born ten year-old West Highland terrier.
In France dogs have yearly alphabetical registrations similar to UK cars.
Buffs is a L reg. with reg no. tattooed inside her ear, dognapping is big business in this part of the world!
I also had a list of all Blue Funnel ships and international call letters when I was with them. Sadly disappeared in the mists of time.
Happily though, I can still retain many of the call letter in the non-pickled portion of my grey matter.
Love the picture, Andrew the Sea Dawg is a Westie as well, eighteen months old, frighteningly smart, has been known to hide his own toys so he can play hide and seek...ah the sea and a good dog, what else could you want!!!.

·
Registered
18,774 Posts
Seem to recall the Indian Ocean Pilot Book warning against landing on Socotra - inhabited by cannibals. That must have been one fierce Collie!

My mother had a Westie called Mac and he used to sit by the cupboard where his food was and say: "Mam, biscuit." People think I'm mad when I say that - I thought I was mad when I heard him say it! He had a couple of other sayings...not quite E=MC squared, but still a very smart dog.

I have now got a real sea dog, a Keeshond (aka Dutch Barge Dog). Unfortunately, she is terrified of water and no amount of 'Dutch Courage' will change her.

John T.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts