Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
That dog has saved me from many an iceberg.!

How does that work Bruce, in your country do you paddle the canoe backwards? Sure is an alert looking lookout.

·
Banned
25 Posts
"Sure is an alert looking lookout."

Hi Derek, what do you expect on the dog watch? :)

Dave, no moderating for Gordie: taking care of me is a full time job.

Bruce C.

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
very "Dogmatically" put Bruce. regards to Gordie!

·
Registered
18,774 Posts
Is that a bark canoe? If Gordie sees anything near the front, does he say "Bow Wow"?

Getting silly now - too long in the Dog Latitudes. Sorry.

John T.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
trotterdotpom said:
I looked the quote up and it was by a lady called Mme. de Stael.
Thanks for the gender correction John. I was told it was by a French illusionist who was given a dog as a present by Houdini.
Illusionists kept their secrets secret and apparently this misanthropic Frenchman spoke to no one and had the statement pinned to his permanently locked dressing-room door

·
Registered
18,774 Posts
R651400 said:
Thanks for the gender correction John. I was told it was by a French illusionist who was given a dog as a present by Houdini.
Illusionists kept their secrets secret and apparently this misanthropic Frenchman spoke to no one and had the statement pinned to his permanently locked dressing-room door
Actually, I prefer your version.

John T.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Brocklebank Ships Name Derivation

Hugh and Dave,
Second attempt to post-first was unreadable so hope this is better.

NB: Additional notes found within file sent to me after initial list:

Magdapur is missing, perhaps they could not find one in India!
Subsequently found out that Magdapur was a village adjacent to Sitapur Town in Uttar Pradesh.
Masirah is a village in River Satara District, Maharashtra and a village in Madhya Pradesh.

·
Registered
195 Posts
mcook said:
As far as I know all Brock ships started with MA and were named after
some Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi object or place. There may be a few short
lived exceptions to these names with some chartered vessels and some
war reparation vessels in the fleet at various times.

Another member of the Cunard-Brocklebank group was Moss tankers. All
their ship names started LU and had some connection with light. Lustrous
and Luminous are obvious. Lucigen was, I think, Greek for 'Piercing
Light'. Luxor is named after the Egyptian city, otherwise known as the 'City
of Light'. At least someone put some thought into choosing those names.

On the other side of the coin were the Atlantic Container Transport ships, with original names of ACT1, ACT2, ACT3 ad nauseum.

malcolm
One of the best comments I have heard about Brocks names, came from the 1st electrician on a ship I was on, the Mahronda, I think. He was complaining to the Old Man about the food, he said " I believe the next ship is being named the Malnutrition"
Trevor

·
Registered
966 Posts
michael james said:
Hugh and Dave,

Subsequently found out that Magdapur was a village adjacent to Sitapur Town in Uttar Pradesh.
Masirah is a village in River Satara District, Maharashtra and a village in Madhya Pradesh.
Just spotted your list Mike. Thanks - fills a great deal of the holes in my list.

There are a couple of differences, Brocks definitely had "Post Office districts" in the State of Whatever, certainly for Mawana. I presume after independence they were allowed to be called towns and villages.

Not sure about Mangla, I believe Brocks corrupted the name of Mungla Creek up by Chalna. I see they've got a port "Mongla" up there now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Trevor said:
One of the best comments I have heard about Brocks names, came from the 1st electrician on a ship I was on, the Mahronda, I think. He was complaining to the Old Man about the food, he said " I believe the next ship is being named the Malnutrition"
Trevor
I remember someone referring the the 'MaGawd' once upon a time....

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hugh,
You could well be right on both points, when the Embassy came up with this dam in Hindustan, I had one heck of a job to find it on any map that I had or they provided, bit vague I thought ! Regarding P.O.D`s I am sure you are right pre 1947.

Sorry I should have sent you a PM when I posted the list. Salaams

·
Registered
902 Posts
michael james said:
Hugh and Dave,

'''''''''''''''''''''''''

Hello, here's another: My last ship was Marwarri which I believe is the name of a rich caste of moneylenders from the Madras district. I think some early Brock ships drew names from the Persian Gulf and Hadramaut coast.
regards
Harry Nicholson

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I think some early Brock ships drew names from the Persian Gulf and Hadramaut coast.

Masirah is an island of the coast of Oman, Indian Ocean.

·
Registered
46 Posts
John Rogers said:
As sea dogs go I have a Jack Russell, over the years I have owned many breeds of dogs but Little "Nipper" is the smartest,cleanest,and loveable of them all.
hi John, my old dog whent over the bar,no more,get ting on bit now,a jack russ neded new home ,its saved me, j.russell ps just had a tot

41 - 55 of 55 Posts