Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Maid of Glencoul

Maid of Glencoul is currently relief ferry on the Corran crossing from Onich to Ardgour. Here she is photographed in June 2008.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave & Peter, for the pics and the info. I was trying to find somemore about it when it worked at Kylsku as my father used to work on it there, and he has just retired. I shall show him the June photo, already showed him the one of her getting built. I'm also looking into the Maid of Kylsku, The Queen of Kylsku & the Glenachulish. Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks Dave & Peter, for the pics and the info. I was trying to find somemore about it when it worked at Kylsku as my father used to work on it there, and he has just retired. I shall show him the June photo, already showed him the one of her getting built. I'm also looking into the Maid of Kylsku, The Queen of Kylsku & the Glenachulish. Thanks again for your help!
Archie,
I have two photos of Glenachulish in the Gallery, under Ferries, posted Monday 7th July 2008.
Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again Dave! Could help me one last time, the Queen of Kylesku came after the Maid of Kylesku but before the Maid of Glencoul. I have obtained pictures of both the 2 Maids, & even an audio clip of the MOK's last crossing.
However the Queen has me stumped, can't find any info or pic's on the net of her. Since you've had an answer to my last 2 questions? Any ideas? Thanks again Archie!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks again Dave! Could help me one last time, the Queen of Kylesku came after the Maid of Kylesku but before the Maid of Glencoul. I have obtained pictures of both the 2 Maids, & even an audio clip of the MOK's last crossing.
However the Queen has me stumped, can't find any info or pic's on the net of her. Since you've had an answer to my last 2 questions? Any ideas? Thanks again Archie!
Sorry, Archie, can't help you with 'Queen of Kylesku'. If I find any info I'll pass it on.
Best wishes,
Dave

·
Registered
342 Posts
Success, Archie!

I've found a picture of Queen of Kylesku in the following publication:

FERRIES OF SCOTLAND
Second edition: October 1993
ISBN 0 951 3093 4 X
Ferry Publications

Here is the website for the publishers. I suggest you contact them and see if they can help you.
http://www.ferrypubs.co.uk/

Best wishes,
Dave

·
Registered
444 Posts
Kylescue ferry boats

I used to survey these ferries. They were known as the Corran/ Ardgour ferries. Car and passenger ferries. There was the on duty boat and the standby boat. They were council run ferries.
They were at that time surveyed on the Clyde, mainly Armaleish.
Hard working little boats it could be a bit poor on the weather at that crossing.

regards
jimmys

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks once again Dave, you have been very helpful! I shall let you know how I get on, there,s no email address on there site so it'll have to wait until I get a chance to phone them. Great help thanks!

Archie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your reply Jimmy, don't know much about the Corran ferry, just that The Maid of Glencoe is the back up there. I did know that The Maid was a council ferry and was free of charge at Kylesku. From what I've been told she seems to be a hard working boat.

Many thanks Archie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FERRIES OF SCOTLAND, Vol 2 arrived yesterday, the Maid of Glencoul & the Glenachulish are in it but the Queen of Kylesku isn't. I'll need to check the ISBN no, but I was assured when I ordered it that, vol 2 just meant the 2nd edition. It says it has been updated, maybe I just missed it somewhere?

·
Registered
342 Posts
FERRIES OF SCOTLAND, Vol 2 arrived yesterday, the Maid of Glencoul & the Glenachulish are in it but the Queen of Kylesku isn't. I'll need to check the ISBN no, but I was assured when I ordered it that, vol 2 just meant the 2nd edition. It says it has been updated, maybe I just missed it somewhere?
Sadly, Archie, you have received the wrong volume. You should have received the original publication, Ferries of Scotland, Second Edition 1993, ISBN 0 951 3093 4 X

Ferries of Scotland Vol.2 is quite different - my copy carries the ISBN number 1 871947 48 0

I suggest you contact the supplier and either try to exchange Vol. 2 for the Ferries of Scotland ISBN 0 951 3093 4 X, or if you wish to keep Vol. 2, ask them to send you the correct book.

The details I have given you are correct - I have both books on the desk beside me as I write. Perhaps, even if they have no more copies of the correct book available, the publishers might still have Queen of Kylesku's picture on file.

Best wishes,
Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again Dave, you been a wealth of knowledge! I'm just going to keep vol 2, well dad's already off with it. He's delighted anyway. I shall try again!

Many Thank, Archie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi the Marine Harvest Fish Farming company bought a ferry boat for transporting fish food and transporting fish harvests around on Loch Sunart, I am 99% sure that she was the Queen of Kylesku, I used to work for them as a lorry driver up to 1992- 93 and she was still going strong then, hope this might be of some help to you.

·
Registered
444 Posts
ferries

I seem to remember one of these ferries mentioned had Caterpillar engines. Not the usual ferry engine on the Scottish coast.

Does anybody recall which one. I am not 100% certain. A passenger launch used to run from beneath the bridge at Kylescue as well on excursion sails.

regards
jimmy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts