Ships Nostalgia banner

Majestic

7K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  AllisterSpeirs 
#1 ·
MAJESTIC (66/12591) inward bound passing Tilbury on the River Thames.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The Magestic was one of two large ref cargo ships built by Alex Stephen & Sons, Linthouse, Glasgow in 1967. 12,277tg she was transferred to New Zealand shipping corp. and was to be renamed N.Z.1 This was unpopular and she became NZ Aorangi
She was sold to the Greeks in 1978 and renamed Mykonos. Sister to Britannic.
Pictured passing Port Chalmers inbound to Dunedin

Attachments

#4 ·
Majestic/NZ Aorangi

In August 1974, MAJESTIC became the NZ AORANGI of the Shipping Corporation Of New Zealand. She lasted until 1978 when she was sold upon the entry into service of the Corporation's flagship NEW ZEALAND PACIFIC.
The two photos show her arriving at Timaru on 30 April 1978 in the course of her last voyage.

Attachments

#7 ·
Just like the MAJESTIC (2), ex BISMARCK, of White Star Line? :)

Her sister BERENGARIA was nicknamed Bargain Area in the hard days of the Depression, when Cunard was selling cheap voyages on her.

Best regards from Lisbon,
Paulo Mestre

gadgee said:
Think she was called THE MAGIC STICK within SS & A? (*))

#10 ·
MV Majestic was indeed the" magic stick",so called because of a huge heavy lift derrick on the fore deck. I sailed on her maiden voyage, joining her in Feb1967 in Glasgow as a JOS.I remember the cooks were Chinese, as were the meals unless you requested otherwise. Being young and stupid I said I didnt like Chinese food (having never tasted it) so I spent the entire trip eating "ordinary " food.Ihave since learned the error of my ways and can down crispy duck with the best of them.

#11 ·
Was an apprentice Electrician on both the Majestic and Britanic ...also Port Caroline/Chalmers plus many other in Stephens and was probably on board on that cold day way back in @ 1967 when we moved her up river.

One of my last jobs at the time was to go round with the new Clients Electrical Engineers and explain where everything was and how it worked.

Was most impressed with their living and service conditions I tried to join the company on completion of my 'time' but eventually sailed with the Bank Line...Que Serra...serra

#12 ·
My first posting was to the Majestic at Sheerness during December of 73?. I recall they had an engine room fire on the way back from NZ and was undergoing some repairs. Many of the pipes were being relagged with what looked like Asbestos filled plaster??. Does anybody know anymore details.
Some time later we left for Avonmouth, I was so looking forward to my first trip, unfortunatly the weather was real bad, what an introduction, never seen a galley so empty at mealtimes, perhaps the cooks were ill as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.