Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all.
I was wondering if anybody out there has any photos they wouldn't mind sharing on here, regarding Manchester Liners Vessels and or general photos of the shipping that used the canal during the 1970s. I used to love watching the ships in the docks especially the tugs, and it would be great to see some original pictures from days gone by.
Many Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi to all.
I was wondering if anybody out there has any photos they wouldn't mind sharing on here, regarding Manchester Liners Vessels and or general photos of the shipping that used the canal during the 1970s. I used to love watching the ships in the docks especially the tugs, and it would be great to see some original pictures from days gone by.
Many Thanks.
Hi, and hello. I joined to send you these pictures of the Manchester Brigade.
Found it. Built1918.
1940 torpedoed and sunk in Atlantic; loss of 58 lives. I am at the moment trying to find our how much this print is worth.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Back in the early 70`s I had some photo`s of a couple of Strick Line Ships having the Funnel tops removed and mast(s) lowered (@ Latchford?). Sadly, they appear to have been lost. Went up there several times in the period `68 to `75, on various ships not M-L though.

Pete

·
Registered
120 Posts
Think the funnels was removed and masts dropped at Eastam, just inside the first set of locks to the canal. I went up there a few times with Ellermans - we also used to part flood No 3 or 4 hold (up to the top of the shaft tunnel casing) to get the trim and draft right. Was a messy job pumping out and cleaning.............

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Think the funnels was removed and masts dropped at Eastam, just inside the first set of locks to the canal. I went up there a few times with Ellermans - we also used to part flood No 3 or 4 hold (up to the top of the shaft tunnel casing) to get the trim and draft right. Was a messy job pumping out and cleaning.............
I think you may be correct Tony, the "Crane Berth's" was just inside the canal entrance starboard side in that looked over the QE 11 oil berths.
There used to be numerous funnels "parked" up on the jetty from ships already in the canal.
The pilot and 2 helmsmen would board there for the slow old trip to Manchester.

·
Registered
120 Posts
loads of bolts from the funnel. But in taking the funnel top off you also lost the radar. Not much use in the canal but kind of comfort blanket lol. Remember being stuck in one of the locks (latchford?) for a day and a half because of fog. Shore leave was given and time enjoyed.

·
Registered
353 Posts
As an18 year old R/O with 3months seatime, on th Ramon de Larrinaga, had to supervise the lowering of the radar mast on a cantilever type system. Everything was rusted up, counter balance etc. When lowered, plastic bags and tape covered the waveguide.
In later years as Marconi technician, we would use BOT condoms, for the waveguide i meant

·
Registered
327 Posts
The exact opposite LTS.
The port charges and transport rates at Liverpool were so high that a group of business men proposed a canal to Manchester.
To cut a long story short, it became a great success, turned Manchester into the third largest seaport in the country and had on its banks the largest industrial estate in Europe.
Its well worthwhile seeking out accounts of the history of the MSC. Wikipedia has a good one.
Roger.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The exact opposite LTS.
The port charges and transport rates at Liverpool were so high that a group of business men proposed a canal to Manchester.
To cut a long story short, it became a great success, turned Manchester into the third largest seaport in the country and had on its banks the largest industrial estate in Europe.
Its well worthwhile seeking out accounts of the history of the MSC. Wikipedia has a good one.
Roger.
Thanks for that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts