Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,

Does any one know are there two dinner sessions or can all passangers eat at the same time as I know it from maxim gorkiy?

Tina
Tina,

When Marco Polo is fully booked, there are two seatings.
First seating is at 18.00 hrs.
On the Arctic and/or Antarctic, when the ship is not full, they might combine into one seating.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Marco Polo ex Alexsandr Pushkin

A picture of the original vessel from the cover of the Deck Plan booklet. I travelled on her once overnight from Le Havre to Tilbury and a couple of times on the Mikhail Lermontov from Cobh to Tilbury when they were doing the trans-Atlantic crossings. Sailing under the Hammer & Sickle then of course and with an all-Soviet crew I seem to remember, which was quite interesting at the time.

Best wishes,
Glyn

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
On board DFDS' England in August 1981, I remember we ran the four hours up to Oslo from Færder parallel with the Pushkin. She was a stylish Russian in those days. We arrived at 2 pm, she berthing under Akershus Castle and we round the corner at Vippetangen where the Copenhagen ferries are to be seen today. I saw her in her latest guise in Bergen last summer. A quality vessel!

Andrew

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

in 2008 Marco Polo will be chartered by the german Transoceoan tours (Astor and Astoria) until 2011. It is very interesting for me because they will offer cuises to the arctic and antarctic countries.

Does any one know are there two dinner sessions or can all passangers eat at the same time as I know it from maxim gorkiy?

Tina
Hello Tina
I have a cruise booked on the Marco Polo,thru Newmarket Holidays to go round the British Isles start date June 6th 08. According to the bumpf, dinner is served 1830hrs &2030hrs.There are two formal nights when men are expected to wear dinner jackets. Millerman

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,

thanks for answering. I am intereted in going to Antarctica with Marco Polo but now I heard that the ship will go with 400 passengers and that is to much because just 100 can go together at the continent.

Tina

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Well I assume she is to stay in service as in my local newspaper - Western Daily Press - there was a big advert for cruises from Avonmouth next year and also they are selling up to 2016.

Hawkey01

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
She seems to be in Flashing holland. I belive there is a floating dry dock were she is , Could there more damage from the grounding in Norway??.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Going on Marco Polo on anniversary cruise July 2015. She will be 50 in August and still going strong. It will be our 8th cruise on this old girl. I cannot get enough of her. Already booked the Amazon for Jan 2017.

·
Registered
79 Posts
janmike
Did the 2 week Christmas cruise to the Canaries 2015 and the 28 night cruise to Canada August/September 2016. Both voyages were a bit lumpy crossing the Atlantic as you would expect. Enjoyed both trips but insurance is getting a bit expensive now!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I'm packing right now for a cruise to the Canaries on her on Monday, sailing from Avonmouth. I've seen the ship several times way back, as Alexsander Pushkin but never as Marco Polo. Having read so much praise for her it will be interesting to see whether I share the enthusiasm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sailed on sister ship, 'Taras Shevchenco' (sp) Southampton - Sydney back in the wild days of my 'yoof' 1971. Was under the Hammer and Sickle. Hotel staff were all lovely young blonde Russian girls. Very interesting. (*))

TDU

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I'm packing right now for a cruise to the Canaries on her on Monday, sailing from Avonmouth. I've seen the ship several times way back, as Alexsander Pushkin but never as Marco Polo. Having read so much praise for her it will be interesting to see whether I share the enthusiasm.
A couple of weeks now since my return from the cruise aboard Marco Polo. She's a nice ship in many respects and very well maintained. Any stories stating otherwise are way off the mark. However, he public rooms do look tired and in need of a makeover. Basically she retain's the same look that she had when she entered service for Orient Lines. During our cruise the ship was full and it felt it. She'd be much nicer with about 200 fewer passengers. The food was OK but mostly poor quality, it was here more than anything else that you were aware of CMV being a budget operation. The service was generally good as was the entertainment (though I don't normally like cruise ship entertainment). I'm pleased to have sailed on the ship but there was nothing about the experience that would entice me back, neither to Marco Polo nor to CMV.

Clive

·
Super Moderator
26,583 Posts
Clive

Many thanks for your cruise report. It is always good to have first-hand reviews. Interesting comments about CMV being a budget operation. Such comments are very welcome when choosing a cruise, things you would never find in the brochures whether CMV or other companies.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts