Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Went to Norwegian fiords in August. Given that the vessel first sailed at the same time as I ventured afloat, some 50 years ago, she was in remarkably good nick, and gave every impression of being a well run operation. Accommodation was better than I anticipated, we were upgraded which helped, but you get what you pay for and I might have been less impressed had we been allocated an inside cabin on the lower decks. I would consider another cruise on Marco Polo if itinerary suited, the fact that most start and finish in UK is a big plus.
Note to CliveH we found the grub OK, except for the bacon!

·
Registered
79 Posts
janmike
I am surprised at the report of poor food. I have now spent after 2 trips, 44 nights and found the food fine. I cannot argue with 5 courses for evening meal, as much as you can eat for breakfast, lunch I had just a snack in the bistro.
The comment of poor maintenance is not to be believed. The crew were working on all aspects throughout the time on board. All in all very good value for money. The only short coming I found was the lack of comfortable seating.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
roddy and janmike, I have to agree with you that the Marco Polo is indeed very well maintained and reports that I have read stating otherwise leave me bewildered. Yes, indeed you do get what you pay for (one could say that we got more than we paid for as we were also upgraded). However, for me the food was lacking in quality. It did not matter if there were five courses at dinner when none of them were very good. It's quality and not quantity that matters.
I have to agree with the point about the lack of comfortable seating. I don't think there is a comfortable chair to be found anywhere on that ship. Those in The Captain's Club being particularly bad, which is a pity as it is quite an attractive room. In the entire two weeks I don't think I spent in total more than an hour in that room. I could not contemplate the idea of 44 nights on board, 14 was plenty. As I said, I'm pleased to have experienced her but I have no interest in returning to Marco Polo or any CMV vessel. They have created a good niche for themselves in the cruise market and have a very loyal following. Given all the competition there is out there I have to say 'well done CMV' but this is not a product for me.

Clive

·
Registered
104 Posts
Martin
I see quite a few cruise ships call in at Invergordon,my memories of Invergordon are that there is not much there- is it a starting off place for Distilleries tours and visiting Inverness.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Martin
I see quite a few cruise ships call in at Invergordon,my memories of Invergordon are that there is not much there- is it a starting off place for Distilleries tours and visiting Inverness.
Yes, Invergordon itself is unremarkable, but there are various attractions within a short coach ride of it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Marco Polo's last position was shown as : 2021-01-14 00:56 UTC Alang in india and is shown on marine Traffic as Dead , otherwise scrapped.
She was featured on a T.V. program a couple of years ago. A passenger who was a retired marine engineer spoke of her being a great little ship and her original engines ran like a sewing machine and could do for the next 40 years. A great shame this happened to her, as she had a good fan base. No doubt she would have got her passengers back once the cruise industry got back on it's feet again.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts