Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe this is some sort of passing-out photo of a Marconi 'Induction Course'. I reckon early to mid 1950's.
My brother Jack is2nd from left, back row. He was previously a Radar Operator in the RAF. After a few years as R/O he did a couple of contracts on the DEW Line before settling down as Marconi Shore Tech in Montreal.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
This photo is early 1950s. Peter Graham is there. He was the 2nd R/O on PandO's "Canberra" and I was the Jr. 2nd R/O. (She had eight R/Os altogether in those days). I joined Marconi in 1953 so he must have started before that. This photo will have been of the three-week "Pre-Sea School" at AST College, Hamble.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This photo is early 1950s. Peter Graham is there. He was the 2nd R/O on PandO's "Canberra" and I was the Jr. 2nd R/O. (She had eight R/Os altogether in those days). I joined Marconi in 1953 so he must have started before that. This photo will have been of the three-week "Pre-Sea School" at AST College, Hamble.
Thanks Searover, you would be right about it beong pre-1953. Jack was de-mobbed shortly after the war, maybe 1949, so probably started at Eglantine Avenue in 1950. Re Canberra, Jack was tech on a BBC Outside Boradcast team which did a do***entary onboard at Belfast - that must have been in 1960.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Probably about 10 bob ……….. (Jester)

(Thumb)
No, why the difference. Not whats the difference. My first cap badge cost me a quid, and I thought that's a lot. Having to cough up to put the companies insignia on to your own hat.

·
Registered
879 Posts
No, why the difference. Not whats the difference. My first cap badge cost me a quid, and I thought that's a lot. Having to cough up to put the companies insignia on to your own hat.
The British MN cap badge cost about the same when I got my uniform.

·
Registered
642 Posts
When I joined Marconi in 1962 there was a list of and advice on buying uniform. I remember a warning against purchasing a "Bombay" cap badge. It was considered too ostentatious or gaudy. The few times I wore the cap no one would have noticed!

·
Registered
82 Posts
mcimarine50s

I believe this is some sort of passing-out photo of a Marconi 'Induction Course'. I reckon early to mid 1950's.
My brother Jack is2nd from left, back row. He was previously a Radar Operator in the RAF. After a few years as R/O he did a couple of contracts on the DEW Line before settling down as Marconi Shore Tech in Montreal.
This is a picture of Marconi's pre sea training course for newly qualified R/Os at Hamble. Situated on the civilian airfield there. the photograph was taken in 1953 certainly. Not sure of the month, February or March, and I think it was a three week course. We were billeted in a big house nearby, five or six to a bedroom. I am number eight on the photo alongside Peter Graham. Don Fish I remember, along with the rest. That was the start of a brief career with Marconi, but that's another story. Regards to any who remember me.
David Whitehead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts