Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am surprised that nobody has commented on the mass shooting in Nova Scotia this past weekend, apparently the worst in Canadian history. When such events occur in the US, there is normally a flurry of comments on SN.
Just curious.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Only just been on news that there was loss of life, earlier NS police did not confirm any deaths. News here too full of itself as always, only been a tiny paragraph about the cyclone in pacific islands last week!
Dannic

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Thank you for the posting ; the last 24 hrs have been a nightmare for many and all Canada Grieves . Prime Minister Trudeau has asked the media not to mention the shooters name any more and stop showing his photograph ( he does not want any sick glory given to the man ) Having said that people who knew him are shocked as it was not something they believe was in his nature ? He must have had some mental issue in my mind .
He was dressed in RCMP look alike clothing and had painted his car to look like a "Mountie " car .
The carnage started Sat night about 11 pm and then continued for 24 hrs with a massive manhunt over a large area of Nova Scotia .
He was caught up with Sunday around noon where he was shot dead in a place not very far from the Halifax airport . He had changed cars which made it harder to find his where abouts .
Mounties are still searching some 16 locations where he is known to have caused havoc.
To date 18 deaths have been recorded with 12 names being published . One a lovely young school teacher who used to live and teach very close to where I now live .
Also a young lady who was shot dead in the line of duty ; a RCMP Sgt. from Halifax .
It is expected that more deaths will be found as the police continue to search areas ( mostly quiet woodland ; cottage country )

At this time all Canada can do to help the families of the victims and all Canadians are giving moral support during a difficult time when there can be no formal funerals etc. due to the pandemic .

Keep safe . Derek

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Very sad to find this deranged person went to great lengths to perpetuate this horrendous act. He obviously had planned it for some time to go to disguise himself as a "mountie" and change of vehicles.
May he rot in hell for this act of complete madness inflicted on innocent people.
This is now the most mass killing in Canadian history and not what we expect in our usually peaceful country.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Very sad to find this deranged person went to great lengths to perpetuate this horrendous act. He obviously had planned it for some time to go to disguise himself as a "mountie" and change of vehicles.
May he rot in hell for this act of complete madness inflicted on innocent people.
This is now the most mass killing in Canadian history and not what we expect in our usually peaceful country.
Totally agree. No doubt someone will excuse the tw*t on mental health grounds or something. Very sad for a beautiful and peaceful country. Thoughts are with the poor families left behind.

·
Registered
277 Posts
as you say not much mentioned in relation to the mass murder in NS, not all see a situation like this in the same light as the media. I have family in Halifax a distance from the occurence. Regards (C)

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
..not all see a situation like this in the same light as the media.
I suppose it depends on the media.

Full page in World News section of the Guardian here.

Three further items if you scroll further down the page.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
I suppose that the lack of the man shouting 'God is greater' in Arabic would make it less interesting to the British tabloids.
Terrible that it is, there is a section of the media that demands something even more sensational than people being murdered.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
A point of clarification, the papers today (Tuesday in the UK) state that the gunman owned two ex- Police cars and was obsessed with the RCMP.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I suppose it depends on the media.

Full page in World News section of the Guardian here.

Three further items if you scroll further down the page.
Fortunately over many years I have learned how to think, not "what to think", No offense, I find newspapers ideal for cleaning paint brushes.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Are Canada's gun laws similar or tighter than the US?

No, they are not at all like our neighbour to the south[/
SIZE].
It is extremely difficult to own a legal firearm. Saying legally is not an error as there are large smuggling ring bringing in handguns from the US.
In Toronto, it is unfortunate these illegal weapons are in the hands of a small group of people who seem to be consistently eliminating other gang members.

·
Registered
409 Posts
This morning, a cadet I sailed with in the seventies reached out to me, by Email, from New Zealand. Our province and communities are in total shock and grieving. What more can you say or do?

·
Premium Member
10,424 Posts
This is the time for condolence. Analysis will certainly follow whether useful or not we have had our share of this sort of thing too. No one is immune (however your neighbour to the South seems incapable of seeking a 'vaccine', however few that would save it would certainly save some).

·
Registered
885 Posts
This morning, a cadet I sailed with in the seventies reached out to me, by Email, from New Zealand. Our province and communities are in total shock and grieving. What more can you say or do?
It is sickening how deranged a mind can become. I assure you there is sadness and sympathy everywhere for your lovely country and its admired people.

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
The latest body count is 19 plus the shooter was shot Dead by the Mounties .
Apparently he wanted to be a Mountie but didnt make the grade. Made dental implants and false teeth .His mind must have snapped ? as well as the multiple shootings he set fire to a number of houses
Derek

1 - 20 of 24 Posts