Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Premium Member
Bank Line ships 1953 to 1968, Apprentice to Master
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, that certain Masters pop up from time to time when discussing other threads but I appeal to SN supporters to begin placing their comments about individuals they have sailed with in this one new thread. Even if you've made comments before, why not repeat them here where they will all be in the one place?
Some of the comments I've seen refer to Captains Beavis, Niblock, Palmer, Donald, Parsons, WW Davies, Sturgess, Stewart, Campbell and Simpson... I am sure there have been others over the years!
This would be a good time to collect all these observations and allow for follow-ups but in the one thread. In the beginning, I am asking you to repeat yourself but as time goes on some interesting comments, pro and con, and bound to appear. Please, however, no libel! But the truth can't be actionable!
If this thread gets going, I will suggest a separate site for Chief Engineers.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Great thread Alistair.I put an Ahoy out for Captain "Freddy" Hale, whom I sailed with on the Ivybank circa 49/51, have only seen one mention of him in SN, he was a great guy, a very fatherly type to all us "young bucks"would love to know his history since that time but long gone now I should imagine

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Masters i have sailed with,well here goes..
capt mountain,only with him 12 weeks before he was lost at sea,maplebank
,,,,,, thorne good ,left the apps alone.
...,,, Warne,bit of a nutter had a gun and once threatened a pilot.
,,,,,, Holland Clydebank best master I ever sailed with .
,,,,,mendus eastbank,cant rember much
,,,,, Frosdick ISipingo ,got on well with him
,,,,,TS robertson,Fleetbank,again no problem
,,,,,JR lynch,Ettrickbank excellent master,allowed one to do their job
,,,,,r Angle ,Forresbank,feeding not too good and tight with the pencils.

Not one among them with whom i would refused to sail with.

jim

·
Registered
83 Posts
old men

here,s my list:
jack donald- nutter
john sturgess-salt of the earth
freddie feint-dsciplinarian
C B Davies-another gent
harry allen- ok
louis wigham- ok
angus mcbain- another good guy
don young- good guy
that,s my opinion,but they are all in their own way responsible for the good times i had, and will never forget,with bankline.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My List is as follows
Capt Smith - big gruff Geordie who called all his Apps "Army Dodgers". He was a panic merchant on the bridge and had all the mates in a panic too, He had a brother who was a Super in the fifties.

Capt Eaddy , a New Zealander, always accompanied by his Calcutta born wife who looked like Mrs Simpson. A kindly man who was a POW for most of the war having , I believe, been on the Speybank when she was taken as prize by German Raider ATLANTIS in 1941. Capt Eaddy was promoted Super after his ship the Eskbank was involved in a collision with the S.T. Davanger in Beira Roads in 1954.

Capt Hale was a good seaman and Navigator who did not suffer fools gladly. He treated all Apps kindly and was good to me. He could tell a good joke

Capt Henry Allan I sailed with on his first command. He relieved Capt Eaddy and he completed nearly three years before he got home. He had a son who was walking and talking before he saw him. A good Master and good to Apps.

Capt. T.S. Roberson - a fine chap and I sailed with him twice - he was married to an Australian Nurse. crossing the Pacific he had a heart attack and we landed him and his wife at Tahiti.

Capt. Thorne was a kindly soul always playing golf when he had a chance.

Capt Beavis - a huge man from Ventnor - always making good ship models - he made one of the Teakbank which must be on the I.O.W. somewhere. His wife would not go to sea with him and near wrecked the Teakbank going close to the cliffs under Ventnor showing off his ship to her - but that is another yarn. He was the first person to whom I gave an injection of penicillin - upper and outer quadrant .

Thats my lot
JC

·
Banned
83 Posts
Henry Allan - Sprucebank twice. One complete copra run and one coastal. I had the feeling he was happy to see me again. After my second trip on the Spruce I did a trip on the Fremantle Star and happened to be on the wharf in Sydney when the Spruce arrived. He spotted me and and yelled down for me to get my ass on board ASAP and fix the radar cos his sparkie was bloody useless. Fair to us all but the feeding wasn't brilliant.

Alan (Dad) Newton - Weirbank. Two back-to-back copra runs. I would gladly have sailed into the gates of hell with him.

Doug (?) McCaffery - Sprucebank. Copra run. Another excellent and fair master.

Chas. Holbrook - Weirbank. Coastal. An interesting experience.

Maybe my viewpoint was different and maybe I was treated differently because I was a sparkie.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Thank God this thread is only about Bank Line masters!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Can;t remember any as they never came on the plates or in stoke hold

·
Registered
160 Posts
Capt. Hale Echo John Campbell's comment.

Capt.R.J.Owen Pass. No printable comments.

Capt A.Stafford-Watts Starchy and a bit aloof.Fair.First class seaman.
Saw him at his best when we carried away
during a very violent Hooghli bore.Would always
defend the interests of his ship. Great man.

Capt J.W.Greig Twice. No printable comments.General and
unmitigated joy when he fell down No 3 Hatch
while screaming abuse at the elderly 1M,broke
a leg and was carried,groaning,ashore.

Capt Beavis Good Master.There have been earlier comments
on his bullying of Mates but as an Uncert 3M he
gave me a lot of help.

Capt.J Williams Difficult to comment.Only in the "Lochybank"
for a couple of months:the dirtiest ship I ever
sailed in.

Capt.King Quietly efficient and a good seaman and ship
handler.Took a detailed interest in the
training of Apprentices-had me doubling up
with the Mate on the AM 4-8 throughout so
that by the time I left I was able to handle
star-sights without a qualm.

Capt.J.Reed
Capt.C.S Palmer Few comments, as I was only a couple of
months with them on passage home.The
attitude of the latter towards his Mates
and Apprentices crystalised the view that
my future was not with Bank Line

David.E

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
B J Peterson Inverbank, good guy, didn't give us appies any grief.

Len Thorne.Marabank. Allowed the mate to persecute the appies (maybe he didn't know). Must have changed a bit from all the good things I hear about him. Loved to play golf, remember his whiskery nose.

A J Whiston. Teviotbank. A bit strange, I think he enjoyed a gin or two? Didn't give us any hassle, but then again I don't think he even noticed us!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Lidstone...His first trip as Master on the Eastbank. My fist trip so I didnt know anything from anything but in retrospect he did let the Mate Bully us...
McLean. On the Foylebank and later on the Cedarbank. Seemed to be a quiet man and he let the Mate from Stornaway as well look after the Appys..
Howe..The least said the better....14 miserable months on the Fleetbank...
Williamson...He had his wife with him and he could be cranky....Didn't seem to like anyone, least of all apprentices. 16 Months....

They all just added to my experiences in life.....(Smoke) (Smoke)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
[
Surprised To See That So Far Wilkie Rutherfords Name Has Not Surfaced,he Was Mate On The Clydebank When I Was Senior App ,best Mate Ever

Jim

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Bankline Masters - frail human beings like us all... temporarily elevated to God's status.

The long term Masters - usually well meaning, misguided often, insensitive, dull, plodding, rarely inspired or creative. The worst of them drunks, tyrants, or simply social misfits hiding away from the real world, and taking refuge as a big fish in a little bowl. Often tortured souls, venting their frustration in weird ways with the weakest in the firing line, and some of the more bizarre antics providing moments of comedy and light relief for the rest of us bored participants.

There are always exceptions to a general rule, and these Masters were easily recognisable as benign, avuncular figures, great to sail with, and who had come to terms with all aspects of the job. Few and far between, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Hey Scotty - Didn't know you were with Ben Line! Did you ever meet up with John Phillips, not as captain.
Are you still with HAL?
I sailed with John Phillips (Southampton area) quite a lot on Ben Line container ships where he was Chief Officer.After Ben Line he used to pay us a social visit in Southampton when he was on the Isle of Wight Ferries

·
Registered
112 Posts
Springbank; Harry Barber
Forresbank JB Leslie
Beaverbank W Langworthy
Weybank Patrick Grist nil point
Moraybank JJ Reed
Larchbank E Browning
Ernebank PH Thomas, I finally worked out what P.H. stood for
Forresbank PD Howell
Sprucebank J Ball
Nessbank T Scott NJ Munro.
Roybank J(?) Paul
Cloverbank Harry Taylor and R J B Collinson

Are any of the above still on the go?

Eddie Bl.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I had an ex Bank Line Master as mate/relief Master on a coastal tanker.
I never hear him mentioned on any Bank Line threads, his name was Frank Parsons.

Regards Robert

·
Registered
290 Posts
Bankline Masters - frail human beings like us all... temporarily elevated to God's status.

The long term Masters - usually well meaning, misguided often, insensitive, dull, plodding, rarely inspired or creative. The worst of them drunks, tyrants, or simply social misfits hiding away from the real world, and taking refuge as a big fish in a little bowl. Often tortured souls, venting their frustration in weird ways with the weakest in the firing line, and some of the more bizarre antics providing moments of comedy and light relief for the rest of us bored participants.

There are always exceptions to a general rule, and these Masters were easily recognisable as benign, avuncular figures, great to sail with, and who had come to terms with all aspects of the job. Few and far between, unfortunately.
Obviously, they were a total cross-section of humanity. It must have been quite scary, being an app going on board for the first time, not knowing what to expect. Or, did the Masters' reputations go before them? Fore-warned was fore-armed!

1 - 20 of 302 Posts