Ships Nostalgia banner
261 - 280 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Masters of the bankline

Hello, I worked for The Bank Line in Sydney from 1969 until 1972. My boss was a Captain Owen Owens, a really lovely man. I also remember two Mr. Browns. My immediate boss was Mr. Carrick Porter, he looked after the financial side of things and the payment to crew etc. In 1972 in went to the UK for two years and worked in the head office in Bury St. I have some wonderful memories of my time with The Bank Line and remember going on board on of the ships in Sydney for an amazing curry lunch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi. As Marconi R/O I requested and got 4 trips on Nessbank 60/62 with Capt. Webb and Alan Newton and then two years on Garrybank with Alan Osborne 64/66. Great Time. Mike O'Shea

·
Registered
1 Posts
Masters we have sailed with

Rutherford (Wlkie) -as a first tripper flown to HK and Garrybank end 68 an unforgettable character, larger than life

Allan McGregor- humerous and another wondrerful trip as apprentice - and I won the binocular prize! (Ellis Rees was C/O)

Kiff -no comment

Len Throne -as Mate on mates ticket excellent support

Robert Brandt-as Mate-one of natures true gentlemen

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Crikey in my time Capt.s' were God with one or two human exceptions & for sure not friendly or communicative to us lower beings. I do not possibly don't wish to recall the twoI had when an app certainy not their names nor the one who 'flipped out' on the Cienfuagos. When on deck you did not call them anything except Capt. or sir. I do not unfortunately recall too many of the people I sailed with, ships yes, but individual names no. On saying that though have been in contact with a few via the site. Guess too many important items to keep in the overflowing memory bank need a upgrade of memory...Richard

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Rutherford (Wlkie) -as a first tripper flown to HK and Garrybank end 68 an unforgettable character, larger than life

Allan McGregor- humerous and another wondrerful trip as apprentice - and I won the binocular prize! (Ellis Rees was C/O)

Kiff -no comment

Len Throne -as Mate on mates ticket excellent support

Robert Brandt-as Mate-one of natures true gentlemen
Wilkie Rutherford,sailed with him on the Clydebank for two years,he was mate and I was senior app,great bloke and he taught me a lot.

jim

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Here's my list and thoughtful appraisal after many years.....!
Fleetbank......Palmer Aloof, but gave the Apprentices the equivalent of 10/- in Buenos Aires to have a good time!);
Fleetbank........Kemp from St. Ives. (My job was to cart the box from bridge wing to bridge wing during stations for him to stand on so that he could see over the wind deflector);
Laganbank......Niblock (Big Northern Irishman; very impressive!)
Ettrickbank.....Williams (A Durban-based Irishman with a dark side who went to pieces every time he sailed and left his wife ashore. Mrs. Williams was most attractive and they had two daughters, Susan and Lila who often did the SA coast with us. His recreation at sea was boat building.)
Inchanga.......B.H. Jackson OBE (Bull**** Jackson or Jacko; what more can I say? His recreation was making money using the ships float as his personal piggy bank. Affected a monocle)
Inchanga.......Harry Allan (from Ballymena; Brought the Inchanga social life to a peak of enjoyment for all. Quiet disciplinarean; We would do anything not to offend or get on his wrong side)
Inchanga.......Williams (See Ettrickbank above. Mellowed a bit from my previous sailing with him.)
Carronbank.....Peter Stewart (From one of the Banff port towns. Very steady; very adjusted; Never saw him sweat.)
Laganbank......Commander Freddy Feint RN (retd) (Church parades every Sunday in Sydney; Supported his officers to get shore invitations; "It doesn't matter what you say as long as you have the correct accent!")
Laganbank".... Barry Mitchell (His cousin really was the Master of the QE2. Poor Barry. Gin was beginning to wear him down and ultimately it did. Had a lousy Mate who despised him and didn't do him any good)
Ernebank....... Donald Campbell (Skye-man. The prefect sailor -captain.)

After that, the Masters I sailed with are too personal to comment on!
I enjoyed reading the above Alistair.
Mick S

·
Premium Member
Bank Line ships 1953 to 1968, Apprentice to Master
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 · (Edited)
Wilkie Rutherford,sailed with him on the Clydebank for two years,he was mate and I was senior app,great bloke and he taught me a lot.

jim
Jim....
I too sailed with Wilkie Rutherford when he was C/O on "Inchanga". At the same time, Alan McGregor was 2/O and I was 3/O - what a cast! Old men came and went but the team stayed together. Andy Lavies was an Apprentice at the time as well.

As you say, Wilkie was quite a character. His favourite 'party piece' was to let out a stream of f-bombs when in polite company. This at once shocked the fair sex but it also was so unexpected as he was otherwise a gent. He always got away with it! He was a very special shipmate and I met up with him when he was ashore in Durban working in Rennie's stevedore department. He was completely unchanged. Had married and separated from Maria but otherwise the same old Wilkie!
I believe he's now dead, sad to say.

For that matter, so is McGregor. Not too many of us left! Fortunately they all seem to be on SN!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Jim....
I too sailed with Wilkie Rutherford when he was C/O on "Inchanga". At the same time, Alan McGregor was 2/O and I was 3/O - what a cast! Old men came and went but the team stayed together. Andy Lavies was an Apprentice at the time as well.

As you say, Wilkie was quite a character. His favourite 'party piece' was to let out a stream of f-bombs when in polite company. This at once shocked the fair sex but it also was so unexpected as he was otherwise a gent. He always got away with it! He was a very special shipmate and I met up with him when he was ashore in Durban working in Rennie's stevedore department. He was completely unchanged. Had married and separated from Maria but otherwise the same old Wilkie!
I believe he's now dead, sad to say.

For that matter, so is McGregor. Not too many of us left! Fortunately they all seem to be on SN!
Re the f-bombs when we were in port Wilkie always hosted an open night in his cabin for a few drinks,then he would tell us apps to draw the curtains and dowse the lights,he would then click on a lighter lift up his legs and we would be treated to a firework display,it was hilairious .

jim

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Re the f-bombs when we were in port Wilkie always hosted an open night in his cabin for a few drinks,then he would tell us apps to draw the curtains and dowse the lights,he would then click on a lighter lift up his legs and we would be treated to a firework display,it was hilairious .

jim
Geoff Thornhill on Shirrabank made that little event his party piece one evening while at Chalna; the problem was that the 2nd Eng'r had his wife with him as did I and neither were impressed with such antics. Tends to knock one's faith in the idea of "master under god" does it not? Basically, prattish behaviour. Unfortunate as he was a good mariner otherwise.

·
Registered
18 Posts
WW Davies, eccentric, but actually quite kind. He recognised that I was a bit homesick.

AJ Hall, lovely man.

HJ Taylor, he pursed his lips a lot. One of many characteristics I got to impersonate on Xmas day when I sat in his seat for dinner, (being the youngest) ordered the meal and made a speech.

AJ McGregor

J Beckett

TD Scott The best! A great sense of humour and enjoyed the company of others.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Masters I sailed with
Cdr Freddie Feint Meadowbank - as someone else said a disciplinarian. However he insisted on correspondence course work being submitted before being allowed ashore. Very likely that this made us get our heads down and do it. Always thought some of this got me a temp promotion to 3/O on the next ship. At the end of year 1 of 2 Freddie called me up to his lair and said I owed the company £10!! I was on £8-15s a month and we were running down the east African Coast me without subs. Did a lot of errand running for cash.
B. Mitchell - Yewbank could not fault him despite being rude to him on joining - he promoted me to 3/O for last two months.
B. Carnie - Southbank first class master
Capt Kent Meadowbank - did not like him. Batty after sailing on long trips

·
Premium Member
Bank Line ships 1953 to 1968, Apprentice to Master
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 · (Edited)
Masters....

It's something of a coincidence, I suppose, that two of the recent messages refer to to Masters with whom I once sailed.

Captain Freddie Feint was indeed a character! One of the incidents I most fondly remember was his effort to get as many of us to church in Sydney on a Sunday. His offer to stand any takers to a slap-up lunch afterwards was taken up by several! This was his style. He had a good way with his officers provided they acted as officers. He liked uniforms to be worn. One would say that he was very pukka and liked his officers to be the same. Other than that he left everyone to get on with their responsibilities but left no doubt that he was the "commander".

Captain Barry Mitchell was also a likeable master although sometimes he tried too hard especially when nicely scrubbed up and crisply dressed after a gin-jag. It was my belief that he had been at sea too long and had let his domestic life come to dominate his actions. Nevertheless, although his principal problem was in dealing with a very uncooperative Mate he actually ran a good ship. His first cousin was relieving Master on the QE2 and was his doppelganger! I did a double take when I met him and for a brief moment thought that Barry had come back to haunt me for my transgressions!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Barry Mitchell

Captain Barry Mitchell always wore a cravat during my 8 months with him. I walked off the bridge during my watch on one occasion when he came up and altered course across a shoal patch outside of Singapore, to save time. As it turned out, there was no hassle, and after a few minutes he sent the seacunny down to recall me. When I arrived we were back on course and he disappeared, leaving me to it.

I believe he was a tortured soul in many respects, but a very likeable man. Would happily give him my top accolade for anyone - He was a 'human being' and he painted for pleasure!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I remember now Freddie's liking for uniforms and this probably affected the rest of my time at sea as I always wore uniform and in fact left most if my 'civvies' at home.
As for Barry Mitchell he was master on the Yewbank when I joined at the builders. I had a crap trip across country by train and arrived after 1600. The scruffy mackintosh attired agent said 'your late where have you been' my grumpy reply of ' coming' did not go down well neither did my grumbling about having to unlash my suitcase to get at my discharge book. Imagine my horror the next morning when the old man sent for me to sign on. Yes it was the scruffy mackintosh clad man from the agents office. Don Halliday the 2/O thought this was very funny.
He didn't say. Word until six weeks months later when he called me up to say I was being promoted to acting 3/O. Then he had a go at me but I still got the job and was treated very well by him.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Yewbank

I remember now Freddie's liking for uniforms and this probably affected the rest of my time at sea as I always wore uniform and in fact left most if my 'civvies' at home.
As for Barry Mitchell he was master on the Yewbank when I joined at the builders. I had a crap trip a cross country by train and arrived after 1600. The scruffy macintosh attired agent said 'your late where have you been' my grumpy reply of ' coming' did not go down well neither did my grumbling about have to unlash my suitcase to get at my discharge book. Imagine my horror the next morning when the old man sent for me to sign on. Yes it was the scruffy macintosh clad man from the agents office. Don Halliday the 2/O thought this was very funny.
He didn't say. Word until six weeks months later when he called me up to say I was being promoted to acting 3/O. Then he had a go but I still got the job and was treated very well by him.
David,

Here is a whiff of pure nostalgia for you - a nice view of the " Yewbank".

Anyone recognise the location, with that distinctive tower behind the poop?

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yewbank

Alan
Thanks for the picture, anybody know where it was taken. She looks like ballast may be overflowing unless the hull is marked. Here is a picture of her on Trials off the Tyne. The small figure standing on the mooring bollards just at the aft end of the accommodation is yours truly. Ted Rouse and I were lurking about and we saw the skyphotos plane circling so I jumped up on the bollards and waved..

Attachments

261 - 280 of 302 Posts