Ships Nostalgia banner
281 - 300 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Yewbank was one of the best looking ships i ever sailed on they had style and were very well fitted out. I remember that the wood paneling in the cabins and public rooms had labels near the light switch to say what type of timber it was - birdseye maple was in my cabin or was that the smoke room.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Cpt. Charlie Yarham. sailed with him on Simultaneity, Sonority and Clarity, Everard ships. A good skipper and a bloody good seaman. The only ticket he had was a bus ticket, as he loved to tell people. Sadly died of cancer.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi Jonnietwocoats. I never came across an Isaac Yeldall. I also sailed with an East Ender called Tommy Gillet. He usually sailed as master on their larger tankers. He relieved on the Simultaneity for six weeks. He was another good bloke to sail under.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Better late than never, would this be Captain Macnab of J & J Denholms and loaned to Globtik Tanker namely Globtik Sun circ 1968?
Falconer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Masters

Springbank J Reed 72
Lossiebank Peter Simpson 73
Fleetbank Peter Ireland 74
Crestbank Davy Jones 78
Roachbank ?? 79/80

As an Engineer I had very little to do with any of them

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bank Line Masters I have sailed with.

Foylebank - 1955 - John Stewart - Excellent & practical
Ivybank - 56/58 - Jimmy Wilson - DR
Nessbank - 1958 - PD MacFarlane - Good
Taybank - 1959 - FS Langton - Good
Edenbank - 59/60 - J Porteus - OK
Ettrickbank - 1960 - JR lynch VG
LW Thorne Good
RJ Warn - A gentleman but drank to calm nerves
Larchbank - 61/64 SG Webb - Brash manner but a good seaman

·
Registered
3 Posts
Joined Tweedbank 1973 in Durban. Skipper introduced himself as "Shrubsole, Captain, RN in the poshest voice I'd ever heard.

When the skinny, alky Chief Engineer (the nastiest man I met at sea) threatened to throw himself over the wall, sympathetic Shrubsole told a man on the edge of a nervous breakdown to "pull yourself together", in an alcoholic slur.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Capt Mc Gann thecoaster Torwood a great skipper we got up to all sorts around the various Irish Sea ports went to ports I will remember the rest of my life I was sad when she was sold to new owner Capt Dennison from the Orkneys,who re named her Elwick Bay and by his Tales of Elwick Bay book,(kindly sent to me by one of our brethren who I hope received my thanks)he had as much enjoyemt as we did tho I must say he modernised her and with his wife's input made her a lot more comfortable than we experienced aboard Our last trip was from Penzance to Dundee to hand her over Capt McGann had never been in the North Sea but we made it,she was the happiest ship I sailed in made all the better by Capt McGann.Stay safe .Tom Roberts.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I only did 3 trips with Bank Line between second mate's and mate's, 1977 - 1980. Sailed with John Campbell on the Willowbank, John Appleby on the Laganbank and Peter Howell on the Hazelbank. All very good shipmasters and a pleasure to sail with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know, I know, that certain Masters pop up from time to time when discussing other threads but I appeal to SN supporters to begin placing their comments about individuals they have sailed with in this one new thread. Even if you've made comments before, why not repeat them here where they will all be in the one place?
Some of the comments I've seen refer to Captains Beavis, Niblock, Palmer, Donald, Parsons, WW Davies, Sturgess, Stewart, Campbell and Simpson... I am sure there have been others over the years!
This would be a good time to collect all these observations and allow for follow-ups but in the one thread. In the beginning, I am asking you to repeat yourself but as time goes on some interesting comments, pro and con, and bound to appear. Please, however, no libel! But the truth can't be actionable!
If this thread gets going, I will suggest a separate site for Chief Engineers.
My first Captain was Ossie Brown, he came with a reputation second to none. Once I saw him standing on a box to see over the dodger he held no further fear. I did get on well with him and that was the only ship where I was up to date with my corry course due to, on a sunday having to report to him our progress .Forresbank 63/64 The outstanding old man was CB Davies learned loads from him mostly how to handle and treat people, crew or officers.
John Matthews

·
Registered
110 Posts
Clydebank 1955. Capt Hale. Taken off ship unwell in Port Swettenham (or possibly Penang) & died in Singapore (& buried there) in 1956.
Wilkie (officially William Thom Wilkie) Rutherford, took us down to S'pore where Capt Holland joined for rest of trip until May '57.
All of the above were great & the entire trip a smooth one.
Mike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rowanbank: Les Steers
Avonbank: Austin Hall
Marabank: DJR Davies
Lossiebank: Les Thorne
Weirbank: John Sturgess (10 out of 10)
Willowbank: John Lowans
Gowanbank: George Scott (one flew over....No1) relieved by Don Carmichael
Corabank: MacDonald
Moraybank:Dominic Martin (enigmatic)
Meadowbank: Ellis Rees (8 out of 10)
Ivybank: George Scott (again)
Shirrabank: Geoff Thornhill (one flew over.....No 2)
Riverbank (1980): Pat Grist
Ruddbank: Elis Rees
Troutbank: Name escapes me - lived East Anglia, married a lot.
Riverbank (1983): Healy Martin (nice chap)
With exception of George Scott and Geoff Thornhill I'd sign on with them all again.
Hi Mike

I just found this website and registered.

I think I was deck cadet when you were 2/O on the Marabank with Dai Davies?.

How's things and what you up to?

Roger Newman

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Mike

I just found this website and registered.

I think I was deck cadet when you were 2/O on the Marabank with Dai Davies?.

How's things and what you up to?

Roger Newman
Sorry Roger....I was never on Marabank,, & was R/O on Clydebank where our 2/O was Mike Shankey (from Dublin).
Cheers!
Mike.

281 - 300 of 302 Posts